The thing about Den-O..

Trains and masked devils!
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< Kabuto | Den-O | The Next >
BigSlim
7X
Quote: There is wisdom in tokusatsu shows.

The thing about Den-O..

Post by BigSlim »

I've watched it through it was cool and all.

To me Ryotaro doesn't measure up to other kamen riders in that he has to get possessed by Imagins to be cool, to have bravery, to have strength and confidence. That's not hot. Sure he was kind and had good qualities but a kamen rider shouldn't need to lose himself to become strong.

Anybody that feels me on this talk back.
Last edited by BigSlim on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: The thing about Den-O..

Post by Lunagel »

Kamen Riders come in all shapes and sizes and I think that's the most important part. It'd be boring if it was the same character every single time.

Also, don't hotlink from d-addicts, they tend to call you out on it :P
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I think the thing with Den-O was that for the first time, the main rider was timid and not sure of himself. He did grow as a person. Not becoming a huge badass as one might expect in a typical anime series, but you could see it.
HW-DiEnd
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Faiz
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Luka Milfly
Favorite Actor?: Anna Nagata
Favorite Band: Motörhead
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Yorozuya Gin-Chan
Quote: "The world is a lonely place,you're on your own..."

Post by HW-DiEnd »

After Tendou Souji,the most badass,awesome motherflippin' Kamen Rider,vwe had Ryoutarou and Wataru in Kiva. Even with their kind-hearted personality,and even bad luck,Den-O became the most famous Rider from the Heisei Era, and Kiva is the Rider with the best storyline.

Spoiler
And the power of the DenKamen Sword,transformed Ryoutarou in the Badass,motherflippin' Liner Form.

HAIL THE GOD KABUTO!! HYPER CAST OFF!!
butyoumight
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Sengoku Ryouma
Favorite Actor?: Jinnai Sho
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Persona 4
Quote: Ware wa kage, shinnaru ware.

Post by butyoumight »

I'm a huge fan of Den-O for precisely the reason lunagel pointed out: Ryoutarou is not your typical hero. He started off as timid, anxious, and has literally the worst luck in history. He fell into a difficult situation, and this one happened to linger.

I also think it's significant that the Imagin weren't perfect heroes either. Ryuuta is far too destructive and childish, Momo is a hot-head and acts too brashly, Ura is incorrigible, etc.

Plus by the end Ryoutarou was indeed brave, strong and he had at least a little bit of confidence. We watched him grow over the course of an entire series, as opposed to a few episodes at the beginning to establish him.

Also I stand by the fact that the show isn't about Ryoutarou at all. Ryoutarou isn't actually the main rider, Yuuto is. They just flipped the debuts around. The joke with our group of friends is that the second rider brings the plot, and that's evident no where as strongly as it is in Den-O.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

butyoumight wrote:I'm a huge fan of Den-O for precisely the reason lunagel pointed out: Ryoutarou is not your typical hero. He started off as timid, anxious, and has literally the worst luck in history. He fell into a difficult situation, and this one happened to linger.
My thoughts exactly, except that I think a bit more highly of Kiva for this reason. Wataru, like Ryoutarou, is a timid and shy hero, but that's what made him interesting and what ended up making me enjoy Kiva a lot. Sure, it's good to have a hero who's strong and everything, but after years of arrogant/strong heroes like Takumi, Kenzaki, Tendou, etc., it was nice to see this change.
BigSlim
7X
Quote: There is wisdom in tokusatsu shows.

Post by BigSlim »

HW-DiEnd wrote:After Tendou Souji,the most badass,awesome motherflippin' Kamen Rider,vwe had Ryoutarou and Wataru in Kiva.

HAIL THE GOD KABUTO!! HYPER CAST OFF!!
DATS WHAT IM SAYING!!! Girl you!!.. You read my mind seriously.

Tendou Souji, you couldn't tell him Anything he KNEW he was the One. Had Arata Kagami (Gatack) trying to BE him on his jock heavy in the Hyper Battle Video. "SENPAI HOW CAN I HAVE UR SWAG?"
lol

But ...forget all that though...im saying u kawai so imma have to take back our argument before and um...

expect a pm lol

But baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack to Den-O... my thing is i know demon possession is a real thing in real life that happens. Happened to a friend and a family member so its always kind of disturbing seeing it I guess that kind of biased me against Den-O. That first time Momotaros jumped Ryotaro's human body, changed his eyes and voice i was like aw hell nah but I gave Den-O a chance the season turned out good I can't lie.

Ryotaro's partner was bomb though I got kinda mad at them using a kid to replace her after seeing her being a dyme piece with bangs for so long u dig.

I won't go near a Garo episode though. Its one of those things kinda like The Ring watching a show primarily about supernatural demons always has an effect on the viewer. Stuff happens around you during a episode of Garo if im lyin' im flyin' try watching Garo in the dark. I speak from experience.

Return to “Kamen Rider Den-O”