Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Chou Den-O Trilogy 2: Episode Blue released

Post by takenoko »

I thought this was another good movie for the Den-O trilogy, probably because it's got a poignant edge that has adult appeal. Thinking about the Den-O series, there's a strong theme about regret and wishing one could have done things differently. Listening to the Hey Ash podcast, Den-O really strikes me as being very much like Doctor Who. It's either a world free of consequences where everything can be undone with time travel... or it can be about serious stuff. Like even a time traveling train can't bring Miku's grandmother back to life, so her wish to spend that one day with her seemed kind of earnest and touching. And while our heroes are all okay, Miku pretty much just ends up alone in her time. It's sad but it's kind of realistic

I also liked Miku's acting, which seemed really good considering how many emotions she had to portray. Her actress is Takayama Yuuko. Here's a picture of her when she was on the show Rescue Wings:

The story did a good job paralleling Koutarou and Teddy's story with the monster and Miku. It was funny to see how the Den-O system changes depending on the Imagin (But didn't Deneb possess him before and he didn't turn into Denebick Buster?) And while I never really bought that Teddy was dead for real, it was still a touching story in its own respect
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Chou Den-O Trilogy 2: Episode Blue released

Post by Phoenix512 »

Yeah the story for Miku ended on a sad note but she did make up for what she did in the past. I guess they couldn't have two sad moments if Teddy also died as well but then again, Imagins have a strange way of coming back from the "dead". I did feel that it did a good job paralleling Miku and Koutarou with realizing that the people who they thought that will never leave you, do leave them and the sadness and regret of it.

The New Den-O system mechanics finally revealed when Kintaros became Koutarou's weapon. I can imagine that Ryutaros's form would be a bubble gun while Momo would be a plastic bat. I think for Deneb, he went into Vega Form when he possessed Koutarou and bypass Strike Form altogether.
lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Post by lonegamer7 »

What the other two said about the poignant emotions on realizing what you've been missing until they're gone. Bittersweet and much props to Takayama-san on portraying the care-free present-Miku and the "just one day" future-Miku.

Regarding Deneb back in Onigashima, I think that with Deneb, he COULD probably turn into some form of weapon for Koutarou, depending on the circumstances, but we've never seen a D-Den-O so who knows... *wishful thinking*
garfield15
Save the life
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Saki-chan
Favorite Band: FLOW
My boom: Nintendo Wii

Post by garfield15 »

Okay, I gotta admit, the end of this movie was sad. I mean, really emotional. Probably one of the few times I've gotten a serious reaction from Den-O.

-I figured I would like this movie from the first few seconds of that creepy moment in the tunnel. To be honest, I'm still not exactly sure what the deal with that was but it was pretty creepy nonetheless.

-Some of it was jarring, but I think the movie managed to tell two stories pretty well. One on Mika and the other on Koutarou. Now, the only thing that bothered me was once again, the enemy Imagin of the movie. I know these are "episodes" but they...really feel like actual episodes. The Imagin was just so unimpressive and not that threatening that I feel like they had to give her poisonous abilities so that she could last through the whole movie.

Also, unlike Red, the DenLiner crew didn't seem to take over the movie which was great but, I honestly wish that didn't mean that the main character had to be taken out the entire time. I was hoping Ryoutarou would come back by the end for a third round, but hey, what're you gonna do.

-Gotta say, Urataros fishing rod-whip moment was hilarious. Especially when it hit Ryou.

-One movie left and everybody says it's the best one. Let's see how it holds up.

(Toei, please don't show the monster blowing up in all of your previews and in the opening of the movie. It just kills the tension)
------------------
Thank you TV-Nihon for the release

(This way I don't have to write it every time and I'm still showing appreciation!")
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Kiss him you fool!
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

This is easily my favorite movie of the trilogy. It felt like getting back to Den-O basics: an emphasis on the bond between a Den-O and his Imagin, especially how the strength of that bond can overcome the "rules" that cause an Imagin to disappear. Throw in a contract holder that wants to correct a regret they have with respect to an important relationship in their life, and a Denliner crew that shouldn't help that contract holder but ends up doing so anyway because they emotionally connect with that person, and it felt like we were right back in the first half of the series. We even got multiple sequences of Koutarou suffering some of the same bad luck that his grandfather did! "Like grandfather, like grandson" indeed.

The expansion on the relationship between Koutarou and Teddy was really handled nicely. And when Teddy wasn't around, Doori did an awesome job with the Imagin possession scenes. I remember watching backstage footage of the stunt actors trying to teach him how to walk and move like Urataros back during filming of Saraba, and it looked like he struggled to get in character. He did a good job with Kintaros and a superb job with Ryuutaros. I think that scene in the house where R-Koutarou observes the cooking contest might be my favorite from this entire trilogy.

Miku's half of the story really resonated with me. I had an extremely close relationship with my grandparents while growing up, and the relationship with my grandmother only strengthened after my grandfather passed over a decade ago. It was very easy to slip into Miku's shoes and imagine what I would be willing to sacrifice to spend more time with either of them - especially if I had broken a promise or squandered an opportunity - and it made the ending that much more poignant.

However, while I really enjoyed the two storylines on their own, what I loved most about the movie was the way they converged at the same message - don't take your loved ones for granted and cherish the time you have together. Kudos for having Koutarou acknowledge the moral point blank, even if he got shot down by everyone else at the idea of Owner having such benevolent intentions.

To prevent a text wall, here's the rest of my thoughts:
~That first scene with Miku is at 5:00AM? Seriously?! What are those kids doing walking around that early...and why is it so bright out? Seems like a production mistake, but maybe not if the entire movie is supposed to take place on the same day.
~I loved how Airi recognized a common bond between Ryoutarou and Koutarou, even if the sidekick duo shot her down.
~I think Plat Form has gotten more screen time in the last two movies than it did in the series. Well, that's probably an exaggeration, but I was surprised to see it used so much.
~The Ura Whip battle, and hitting Ryoutarou and the trees as much as the Imagin, was pretty funny. It's nice that they keep coming up with new battle techniques that tie into the "usual" Den-O humor mold.
~Kudos to Momo for pointing out at the end that Sieg served no purpose other than to be a punching bag.
~Interesting that it looks like they filmed Episode Blue last - clips of everyone getting their filming wrap-up bouquets and DenLiner being dismantled afterward. Pity that Doori's last scene to film was getting a bucket of water thrown in his face.
lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Post by lonegamer7 »

PHurricane wrote: And when Teddy wasn't around, Doori did an awesome job with the Imagin possession scenes. I remember watching backstage footage of the stunt actors trying to teach him how to walk and move like Urataros back during filming of Saraba, and it looked like he struggled to get in character. He did a good job with Kintaros and a superb job with Ryuutaros. I think that scene in the house where R-Koutarou observes the cooking contest might be my favorite from this entire trilogy.
Clip?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

PHurricane wrote: ~That first scene with Miku is at 5:00AM? Seriously?! What are those kids doing walking around that early...and why is it so bright out? Seems like a production mistake, but maybe not if the entire movie is supposed to take place on the same day.
Speaking from experience, it is that bright out that early. It can get light out as early as 4, meaning the incredibly loud crows start getting vocal around 3 and make me wish for a shotgun.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I'm an early riser, but that's pretty amazing. I guess I shouldn't be shocked after traveling this summer to places where the sun was up 19-22 hours a day, but I didn't expect the sun cycle to be like that in Tokyo. Thanks for the info.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I love the scene where is fights with the fishing rod.

" I think she's enjoying it".

For the adults I guess lol.

I've always been a New Den-O fan, just never a Kotaro fan. This did well at explaining his character, why he wasn't plagued by bad luck etc.

Also, I was hoping Sieg was going to do something. No Chou Climax last movie, hopeful it will pop up eventually. Also I like how they brought back the count thing, for nostalgia sake. Also, DA Strike Form rules.

As for the weapons, I imagine that as we had a gun (Deneb) and sword (Teddy) already, they wanted to show different ones, rather than use Momo and Ryu. Also, I was going to mention this last movie, but have they forgotten about Linear Form? Rather than Plat Form getting manhandled, just bust that out.
kaemmerite
Robo's Birthday
Favorite series: Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: JRPGs

Post by kaemmerite »

I really liked this movie too. There could have been a real possibility of these movies being really half-assed since they made three of them and released them near the same time, but they actually have done a fantastic job so far.

I cracked up when I saw the Kintaros-axe. The Ura-rod was pretty good too, and pretty useful it seems, even if he did hit Ryotarou by accident. I was awaiting the countdown the entire movie as well. Oh yeah, and we now know Chou Den-O is officially in continuity with the series. I know everyone always assumed it was despite Decade's shenanigans, but explicitly mentioning Saraba pretty much confirms it.

I am left wondering a couple of things though. One, was Teddy being a special Imajin ever touched on before? I have a bad memory, but I don't recall them mentioning him being special or unique in Saraba. Two, didn't Ryotarou like...get training on how to fight? I know he's in Plat Form in this movie, and they seem to have more or less done away with Liner Form, but his training isn't dependent on the form. I don't expect him to do well against the monster in Plat Form, but it would be nice if he at least tried. To his credit, he did TRY to get a couple of kicks in during that scene, but eh...I dunno, like I said, he got training on how to fight without possession, but it seems like he forgot about it.
MaskedRideEclipse
Gabu
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Hot? Errr, TaJaDoru?
Favorite Actor?: Yu Hasebe
Favorite Band: DREAM
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Gi-Gi-Giga Scan
Quote: At the signature>>>

Post by MaskedRideEclipse »

I hope this won't be a spoiler.But Liner Form aren't avaiable anymore(don't know why maybe the costume was damaged) so the Cho-Climax Form and New Den-O Vega Form as they're Cho-Den-O & DCD Movie exclusive rider movie.Apparently Den-O Final Form is Climax Form(Although in CHOOO there's Cho-Climax Form)
-If all that I'd been said is a spoiler, then kindly delete them or put -snips-
'If you wishes to change the world, Then, you'll need to be stronger than the world itself, If you can, then, You're capables on changing the world.'
nekollx
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by nekollx »

To be fair Ryo was poision and beaten to a pulp Liner form is the least of his worries.
Super Sentai/Kamen Rider fan subs for the PSP http://tvnihon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=8802

My Laptop is Dying, want to help? http://nekollx.deviantart.com/journal/40051434/
poelske1
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Ryuki
Favorite Actor?: Ryuki Takahashi
Favorite Band: Any J-Pop band
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Dragons and stuff

Post by poelske1 »

What's the name of the song at the end? I really love it!
Wachted: KR ryuki, 555, Hibiki, kabuto, kiva, decade, W
SS: Dekaranger, Magiranger, Boukenger, Gekiranger, Go-Onger, Shinkenger,

Watching: KR: Blade, OOO
SS: Gokaiger
MaskedRideEclipse
Gabu
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Hot? Errr, TaJaDoru?
Favorite Actor?: Yu Hasebe
Favorite Band: DREAM
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Gi-Gi-Giga Scan
Quote: At the signature>>>

Post by MaskedRideEclipse »

poelske1 wrote:What's the name of the song at the end? I really love it!
It's Double Action Strike Form.
-If all that I'd been said is a spoiler, then kindly delete them or put -snips-
'If you wishes to change the world, Then, you'll need to be stronger than the world itself, If you can, then, You're capables on changing the world.'

Return to “Kamen Rider Den-O”