< Kabuto | Den-O | The Next >
Koryuu
7X
Favorite series: Den-O and MagiRanger
Alignment: Neutral

Kamen Rider Den-O Series Summary

Post by Koryuu »

Plot
Welcome to the year 2007, the year when all of time comes under attack. Bodiless creatures called “Imagin” have traveled back from the future in an effort to wreck chaos upon the timeline. By fulfilling a contract, an Imagin is able to not only take on a physical form, but travel further back in time to the contract holder’s most precious memory. Altering the past has devastating consequences on both the present and the future. The only thing standing between the Imagin and their goal of total chronological annihilation is Kamen Rider Den-O, alias Nogami Ryoutarou. But can the weak, know-nothing, bad-luck-cursed Ryoutarou truly do anything against the Imagin...? If his four best friends have anything to say about it, sure he can!

Characters

Heroes

Nogami Ryoutarou
Pictures: Normal: Image
Den-O: Image
First Appearance: Episode 1
A physically weak late-teen, who doesn’t know much, and has the absolute worst luck. For Ryoutarou, it’s just an average day to ride his bike up into a tree, over a broken bottle, get his wallet stolen by punks, and get the stuffing beaten out of him as a result. It’s not like he’s trying to get into any trouble. Things just... happen.
But his bad luck takes a turn for the better (not like anyone realizes it at the time) when Ryoutarou is possessed by an Imagin. Later given the name Momotarous, the Imagin is able to physically control Ryoutarou. With Momotarous’ help, along with the help of a handful of other ‘good’ Imagin, Ryoutarou is able to fight as Den-O.
Ryoutarou is also something called a Singularity Point. In essence, no matter what happens to the time around him, Ryoutarou will remain unaffected. As a side effect, Ryoutarou is able to force out (almost) any Imagin possessing his body. Even when the Imagin are not possessing him, they are still connected to him through a bond, allowing them to take control of Ryoutarou’s body whenever he needs them (or whenever they want to go out and about).

Nogami Airi
Picture: Image
Ryoutarou’s older sister whose fiancé mysteriously disappeared a month before the wedding. Not that her customers know this fact – in truth, not even Airi knows her husband-to-be is missing. For some reason, Airi suffers from selective amnesia, and has forgotten everything about her fiancé. The only person who seems to remember Airi’s fiancé even exists is Ryoutarou...

Hana
Another Singularity Point like Ryoutarou, although she does not fight. No family name is ever given for her. Hana is from a future timeline that was destroyed by the Imagin. She formed a “contract” with the Owner of the DenLiner to go back in time and find Den-O and stop the Imagin. Through the use of her fists of doom, she has gained the respect of Ryoutarou’s Imagin friends.

Momotaros
Normal Possessing Ryoutarou: Image
Sword Form: Image
With a brash attitude, a determination to be in the best fights possible, and a punk persona, Momotaros is the perfect foil to shy Ryoutarou, and also the first of four Imagin to posses Ryoutarou. Both his appearance and his name stem from Ryoutarou’s favorite childhood story, Momotarou the Peach Boy, a classic Japanese folk legend about a young boy born from a peach who fights demons. The motif carries over to Momotaros’ armor, with his helmet resembling that of a split peach, and to “Momotaros’” train, the DenLiner (see DenLiner under Items/Vehicles/Mecha for more information).
Momotaros possesses Den-O to become Den-O Sword Form.

Urataros
Rod Form: Image
First Appearance: Episode 5
The Casanova of the group, Urataros is the second of the four Imagin to posses Ryoutarou. His appearance is based off of a snapping turtle, supposedly the same who ferried the fisherman Urashima Tarou to the undersea palace of the dragon god of the sea in the legend of Urashima Tarou. While Momotaros’ weapon is his physical strength, Urataros turns the tables against friend and foe alike using words. He’s so good at lying he can charm (almost) anyone and get Ryoutarou out of trouble as fast as he gets the boy in trouble. That’s not to say Urataros can’t fight! In a battle, Urataros can hold his own easily. His own personal train can launch a turtle-shaped flying platform for air and sea battles.
Urataros possesses Den-O to become Den-O Rod Form.

Kintaros
Ax Form: Image
First Appearance: Episode 9
The third Imagin of the foursome, Kintaros is physically the strongest of the group. So strong, in fact, he misjudges his strength on occasion, leading to property damage. His physical appearance mirrors that of a yellow bear – he also drops off into deep sleep spells just like a bear dropping into hibernation. However, whenever he hears the word ‘cry’ (naku) or any word that even vaguely sounds like ‘cry’, Kintaros snaps into action. His preferred fighting style is a blend of sumo and bad karate. Kintaros’ personal train is armed with six axes, three on either side, and a single ax at the head of the train used for special finishers.
Kintaros possesses Den-O to become Den-O Ax Form.

Ryuutaros
Gun Form: Image
First Appearance: Episode 13
The purple bouncing dragon with a thing for break dancing is one of the more enigmatic of the Imagin. Ryuutaros is constantly in motion, just like a young child. If he’s not hiding in Ryoutarou, he’s playing with his toy bubble gun or drawing pictures. He also has a childish fondness for kittens, puppies, and strange birds. In addition to his break dancing skills, Ryuutaros can control other people by simply snapping his fingers. Normally, he just makes people dance. He is also strong enough to keep the other three Imagin out of Ryoutarou.
Mentally, Ryuutaros is the youngest of the group, with the attitude of a spoiled three or five year old. And he’ll only really listen to Airi, too... His personal train is made up of two cars: the first forms the head and neck of a dragon, the rear extends to form the tail.
Ryuutaros possesses Den-O to become Den-O Gun Form.

Spoiler
Yuuto and Deneb: Image

Sakurai Yuuto
Picture:
Altair Form: Image
First Appearance: Episode 18 (very end thereof)
A teen Ryoutarou’s age from a decade in the past. He has been entrusted with Deneb, the ZeroLiner, and a set of transformation cards from a person from the future, but he refuses to tell who. Using the transformation cards he can become Zeronose Altair Form – but at a price. Yuuto acts somewhat stuck-up and cold to hide his caring persona. He also has a love for astrology and a deep hate of shitake mushrooms.

Deneb
Pictures:
Normal Possessing Yuuto: Image
Vega Form: Image
First Appearance: Episode 19
Deneb is Yuuto’s personal Imagin. As Deneb has formed a contract with someone, he is able to take a physical form outside of time – that is, the real world. In order to avoid causing a panic, Deneb attempts to disguise himself in homemade costumes, none of which turn out so well. He acts as something akin to a butler as well as assisting Yuuto in battle. His trademark is Deneb Candy which is homemade candy wrapped in paper with Deneb’s face printed on it. It seems that, aside from taking care of Yuuto, Deneb’s favorite pastime is handing out Deneb Candy in an effort to help Yuuto gain friends. Deneb also doubles as Yuuto’s punching bag in comic wrestling matches...
Deneb possesses Zeronose Altair Form to become Zeronose Vega Form.

Villains

Imagin Villain of the Week

Side characters

Naomi
The spunky crewwoman of the DenLiner, Naomi runs the DenLiner’s diner car. Her coffee creations are topped with color coded whip-cream so that the color coded patrons (the Imagin) can tell which cup is whose.

Owner
The Owner of DenLiner, the train which travels inside time. Throughout the majority of the show, he can be seen enjoying a mound of fried rice or a plate of JELL-O-esk pudding, both of which have a flag stuck in the middle. It almost looks as though he’s practicing for an eating competition....

"Fifth" Imagin:
Spoiler
Sieg
Pictures: Normal (plus ‘brother’):
Normal Possessing Ryoutarou:
Wing Form:
First Appearance: Episode 23
Sieg is a white Imagin based off a swan motif, who was found wandering lost with his infant human ‘brother’ by Ryuutarous. Being an interesting bird, Ryuutarous brought Sieg and his ‘brother’ onboard the DenLiner. From there it was discovered that Sieg had possessed the infant – although how was anyone’s guess. While Sieg does posses Ryoutarou for a time, he is only around for the movie exclusive Den-O Wing Form and plays little to no part in the series’ plot overall.
Sieg possesses Den-O to become Den-O Wing Form.

Mystery Man
Just who is this mysterious man, and what is his connection to the Imagin...?

Guests

Gaou
Pictures: Normal:
Rider:
Appearance: Den-O the Movie “Ore, Tanjou!”
Leader of a infamous bandit gang of time train thieves, Gaou hijacks the DenLiner so that he can enter “Kami no line” or God’s Line. What he’s after is unclear...

Catchphrases

Momotaros:
“Ore... sanjou!” I... have arrived!
“Ore no hisattsu Parto X!” My sure-kill attack Part X!
Substitute X for one of the following: 1, 2, 2-Dash, 3, 5, Climax Version, Final Version
"ikuze, ikuze, ikuze!!" Go, go, go!! (Romanji check needed)

Urataros:
“Omae... boku ni tsuraretemiru?” Roughly translated: Won’t you let me... string you along?
Behind every word is a thousand hooks, ten thousand lies. (Romanji version needed)
One lie makes life more interesting than a thousand truths. (Romanji version needed)

Kintaros:
“Ore no tsuyosa ni, omae ga naita.” My strength has made you cry.
Also can add: "Namida wa kore de fuitoke." Wipe your tears up with this/these.
“Dosukoi!” Traditional sumo shout, kinda like the ‘hi-ya’ in karate (Needs verification)

Ryuutaros:
“Omae taosu kedo ii yo ne? Kotai wa kiitenai!” Mind if I defeat you? Can’t hear you!
“X ii?” X ’kay?
Substitute just about any statement for X. Basically, a short version of his catchphrase, sometimes but not always followed by ‘Can’t hear you!’

"Other" Catchphrases:
Spoiler
Deneb and Yuuto:
“Saishou ni itte oku. Ore wa ka-na-ri tsuyoi!” Let me say this to start. I am fairly strong!
Occasionally used in plural form, "Ore-tachi wa ka-na-ri tsuyoi!" We are fairly strong!
The ending can be substituted with a variety of phrases for either character such as: I’m fairly motivated, Take care of Yuuto (Deneb exclusive), and the like.

Sieg
“Kourin. Man o jishite.” Advent. At the top.

Vehicles/Mecha/Items

Coming Soon!

Translator notes
Watch “Ore, Tanjou!” after watching Episode 27 but before watching Episode 28. This way, the events in the series and in the movie will coincide and you will not be confused ... too much.

Trivia

Momotaros has a sever dislike of the number four (4) and has only used it in the Hyper Battle Video

Momotaros is also afraid of dogs

(More Trivia needed! Anyone got some...?)

Thanks go to IijumiSoukai for Romanji check
Thanks go to den-o for Urataros Normal and U-Ryoutarou pics!
Last edited by Koryuu on Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Avatar stolen with permission from GcnMaster
Skinwalker
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Sh15uya
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey The Live
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: X-23

Re: Kamen Rider Den-O Series Summery

Post by Skinwalker »

Not a bad summary, but a little vague on the plot, the images are far too big and I can't help feel some of them are spoilerish.
Koryuu
7X

Post by Koryuu »

...Wow, fast feedback....
If anyone has any better screencaps of characters, trivia, translation notes, and the like, and would like to donate them, I would appreciate the help! Items, mechs, and vehicles plus screencaps will be coming in the near future.

Screen caps are now hidden under spoiler tags to hide them, and I kept the plot vague on purpose to hide spoilers.

Feedback appreciated!

...And you know, for my first time doing screen captures, these guys aren't half bad....
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

You've... umm... got the wrong picture for Kintarous when he possess Ryotaro... What you've got there is Gaoh...
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Koryuu
7X

Post by Koryuu »

Oops... Picture edited!

To Skinwalker: What pictures as spoilerish? If it's any of the main ones, I'd like to know so that I can go and get replacement non-spoilerish pics for them.

Once again, thank you for your feedback!
IijumiSoukai
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Tenchi Muyo
2nd Favorite Series: Rescue Fire
Dreamy: Yoko Mitsuya <3
Favorite Actor?: Should I have one?
Favorite Band: Ask above
My boom: Drawing

Post by IijumiSoukai »

Edits are in bold
Catchphrases

Momotarous:
“Ore no hisattsu Parto X!” My sure-kill attack Part X!

Kintarous:
Ore no tsuyosa ni, omae ga naita.” My strength has made you cry.
*just an add-in "Namida wa kore de fuitoke." Wipe your tears up with this/these.
Dosukoi!” Traditional sumo shout, kinda like the ‘hi-ya’ in karate

Ryuutarous:
Omae taosuke do ii yo ne? Kotae wa kiitenai!” Mind if I defeat you? Can’t hear you!
*not really sure if "taosuke" is spelled correctly

Deneb and Yuuto:
Saishou ni itte oku. Ore wa ka-na-ri tsuyoi!” Let me say this to start. I am fairly strong!

*Occasionally uses plural version of phrase:
Ore-tachi wa ka-na-ri tsuyoi!" We are fairly strong!

Sieg
Kourin. Man o jishite.” Advent. At the top.

Translator notes
Watch “Ore, Tanjou!” after watching Episode 27 but before watching Episode 28.

Hope this helps a little.
Koryuu
7X

Post by Koryuu »

Edits have been made. Thank you!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, it's a little too spoilery. Someone who's just starting the series wouldn't want to know what's happening 18 episodes into it. Personally I think you should just have the name and episode number and spoiler tag the entire profile past episodes 2-3

I also kind of wish you did a search through the net and got some better pictures. These screen caps are pretty blurry looking and discolored

You spell all the Taros brothers' names wrong
Koryuu
7X

Post by Koryuu »

Re: Spoilers: ...So then I should have everyone other than Momotaros hidden behind a spoiler tag? I could understand hiding 'that certain Imagin person' under a spoiler tag (which shall be done at once), but everyone listed after Momotaros? Everyone listed except the guest play major roles in the plot, and this is a series summery. But to compromise, I'll hide the last two names on the Heroes list.

Re: Screen caps: I'll give another go at getting better pictures, and see if I can't shrink the ones I have up. Failing that, I'll do an internet search.

Re: Spelling the Taros bros names wrong: ...I did...what? *checks the fansub* Gah! I put in an extra vowel. Gomenasai! Will edit at once!
Last edited by Koryuu on Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bauffie
Save the life
Dreamy: Nakatsu Shuichi
Favorite Actor?: Matsuyama Kenichi
Favorite Band: Gazette
My boom: Hayami's trendy hat

Post by Bauffie »

Rod form picture has Urataros's imagin form showing instead.

Maybe it is just me but there are a few information which I am not sure how it can be useful to a person who is about to start the series. The 2nd spoiler tag under Yuuto's name is tied too much with the end of the series(along with the one under Mystery Man). The first sentence in the Kai section is also too spoiler-ish and unnecessary. There are a few infos like that. Even though it's in a spoiler tag, I think there is too much information for an "Introduction to Den-O".

For the pictures, how about you use the same size for all pictures? It would look cleaner if they're all cropped the same way.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Bauff pretty much covered the points I wanted to make. This is a summary for someone who is just starting the show. Just because it's a summary doesn't mean you have to retell the story to the person. The goal here is to get the person interested enough to start watching the series.

>Omae taosu kedo ii yo ne?

Fixed

As for trivia, you might want to talk about the myths behind the Taros brothers names, designs, etc.
Koryuu
7X

Post by Koryuu »

Bauffie wrote:For the pictures, how about you use the same size for all pictures? It would look cleaner if they're all cropped the same way.
I used my best judgment when cropping the photos so that only the person I was trying to get was in the scene. However, I think I know where I messed up on getting their sizes and will work on fixing them whenever school gives me a break.

Would it be better for me to take down the photos for now? Since it looks like a lot of people have a problem with them... (Edit: Took down Sieg, Yuuto, and Deneb's photos as their photos were bad and weren't hiding with the rest of their individual information)

Also removed a few bits of what was pointed out as "useless" information.

To takenoko: You mean give a quick synopsis of the legends? Or just move the info on what they're based off of from their bios to the trivia section?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, I didn't notice that Momo and Ura already had stories. I was only looking at Kin and Ryuu when I made that comment. (Also Sieg doesn't have an explanation either)
Koryuu
7X

Post by Koryuu »

takenoko wrote:Oh, I didn't notice that Momo and Ura already had stories. I was only looking at Kin and Ryuu when I made that comment. (Also Sieg doesn't have an explanation either)
I think Sieg has a back story/legend, too, but I'd have to look that up via Wiki...

Also, regarding picture sizes. -tosses hands in air- I need to mess with them more to figure out how to get them to shrink without loosing quality. I just took a new one for Ryoutarou (which is up now) and, when I first saved it, the picture didn't seem huge, but... Yeah. I'm really not sure on what I'm doing wrong. And I don't want to do a Google Image search because there'd be no way to credit everyone whose pics I would take, and then that'd be stealing... Please bare through my n00b-ness.
Liner_Form
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Too creepy to answer
Favorite Actor?: Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Favorite Band: Maroon 5

Post by Liner_Form »

Btw, you need to fix your title. It's "summary," not "summery."