Wiki Link

< Den-O | The Next | Kiva >
wuwu
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Re: The Next - takenoko's cut

Post by wuwu »

Hmm,

I'll be interesting to watch this because I was attempting my own cut of the movie but alas you beat me to the punch so good job on that. :D

I'm pretty sure you and I were on the same page on what needed to be cut but I will be interesting to see how your version came out as oppose to what I had in mind.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

wuwu wrote:I'm pretty sure you and I were on the same page on what needed to be cut but I will be interesting to see how your version came out as oppose to what I had in mind.
I would be interested in hearing what you had planned to change as well as what you thought of my choices
wuwu
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by wuwu »

From what I've flipped through, my thoughts so far:

Good job on cutting it down to about 1 hour and 30 minutes, comparing it to the other version you cut about 10 minutes out at least. :D

Main difference so far is I had a different introduction altogether. I kinda imagine these current movies would always have a star wars type opening but...change the title around.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cvxwda

Sorry for the quality, encoder I used was acting strange so had to do a quickie mpeg encode for you.

But yes, more of my thoughts later on after I watched the cut. :)
IijumiSoukai
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Tenchi Muyo
2nd Favorite Series: Rescue Fire
Dreamy: Yoko Mitsuya <3
Favorite Actor?: Should I have one?
Favorite Band: Ask above
My boom: Drawing

Post by IijumiSoukai »

After watching it, I felt a little...disoriented, but thought the edits were okay. Also, I originally thought "Takenoko's Cut" was going to be a parody sub. :cry:

Spoiler
Btw Take, I think the plural word for penis is "peni".
Last edited by IijumiSoukai on Wed May 07, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Practicality
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by Practicality »

Takenoko, I enjoyed your cut of this movie so much more than the original one. Excellent work.

What's best is you trimmed out the most irritating parts of The Next. Mainly,

-By cutting out the parts where Chiharu kills her fans, you make the story make more sense. Why, if she wanted Shocker to die, as Kazami said in the film, would she go around killing her fans? Doesn't make sense. In your version, I didn't mind that subplot nearly as much as I did originally.

-Thank you SO MUCH for fixing the final battle. It's a great fight scene at the end, but every 10 damn seconds it cuts back to Chiharu, which was extremely frustrating. You made it as it should be, while keeping the Chiharu narrative intact.

I had one suggestion. It's not really a big one, but... here goes. I think action flicks like this should start with a bang. The Next takes too long to get moving, in my opinion. What I'd do if I recut the movie would be to stuck Kazami's flashback about Shocker at his office at the very beginning. Then go to opening credits as soon as Scissors Jaguar gives them the flowers, and have the "it's been 2 years since..." part. That sets up the film nicely, and now we don't have to wait until halfway through it to see Kazami Shiro.

Good job.
wuwu
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by wuwu »

Thoughts after viewing it:

Good news is we both had the exact same idea when regrading what exactly needed to be cut and that was the j-horror element of The Next. Interesting part is that we both went about it differently.

For example, the earlier parts of the movie had Chiharu attacking her fans and the first version of herself. You opted to cut out the fans but leave the first attack on the fake Chiharu while I opted to remove or shorten the fans and cut out the first attack on the fake one altogether.

I think the minor issue that I had with that cut is Hongo just...goes inside of Kikuma's place without good reason. With the fan club president being dead and Kikuma passed out, it would make sense for Hongo to take her back to her place but without that scene I found it a bit odd for a teacher to...magically end up in a students apartment. :lol:

I found it funny that both our versions have Hongo henshining at around the same timeline in the movie.

Another change would be the third act where all the pieces come together. I am surprised you decided to keep Kikuma and Chiharu confrontations in. I basically made it so that subplot ends right when Chiharu manager, second fake of Chiharu and president of record company get it and Kikuma stumbles across the empty room now. Which means that there was nonstop Rider action for about 20-30 minutes.

There are other things I've changed around but those are the major ones that come to mind when comparing our version. I actually had my edit done a while ago but dang it, exporting a movie of that size is a bitch to do so might be a while longer before I can release the edit of it.

Overall, I say good job and let's hope the next movie we get doesn't have that subplot again. :D
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

Your cut was much, much better than the original. Thank you!

The last scene with Ichimonji after the credits might be more sad than the emo story they tried to make Chiharu.

ICHIMONJIIIIIIII :(
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Practicality wrote: I think action flicks like this should start with a bang. The Next takes too long to get moving, in my opinion. What I'd do if I recut the movie would be to stuck Kazami's flashback about Shocker at his office at the very beginning. Then go to opening credits as soon as Scissors Jaguar gives them the flowers, and have the "it's been 2 years since..." part. That sets up the film nicely, and now we don't have to wait until halfway through it to see Kazami Shiro.
I agree with you there, and that's a pretty good idea. I guess my goal was just to eliminate the distracting parts, but I also thought it was odd that in the original, V3 doesn't show up till 40 minutes in, and it took a while for the first battle to take place.
wuwu wrote:For example, the earlier parts of the movie had Chiharu attacking her fans and the first version of herself. You opted to cut out the fans but leave the first attack on the fake Chiharu while I opted to remove or shorten the fans and cut out the first attack on the fake one altogether.
Yes. The indiscriminate killing made it too much pointless horror that no one liked. By Having her just attack the girls, it becomes a revenge story, even if Chiharu is only acting only animal instinct at that point
wuwu wrote:I think the minor issue that I had with that cut is Hongo just...goes inside of Kikuma's place without good reason.
I think most people would have assumed that she invited him in after he helped take out her trash. I thought it made more sense for Kikuma's FIRST action to be to check with Chiharu directly, why deal with the otaku guy with his molestermobile? And I didn't think Kikuma's attitude toward Hongo made sense after he helped bring her home. It makes more sense for her to call him useless and to shoo him away if he hasn't done anything to help her at that point

>Another change would be the third act where all the pieces come together. I am surprised you decided to keep Kikuma and Chiharu confrontations in.

Yes, but I changed the order. In my version Chiharu is moved by Kikuma and regains her sanity long enough to go to her brother and ask him to kill her

>Which means that there was nonstop Rider action for about 20-30 minutes.

Yeah, it was jarring that I had to cram the Kikuma-Chiharu confrontation together, but there was no other good point to do that.
wuwu
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by wuwu »

takenoko wrote:Yes. The indiscriminate killing made it too much pointless horror that no one liked. By Having her just attack the girls, it becomes a revenge story, even if Chiharu is only acting only animal instinct at that point
Good point, never considered that.
takenoko wrote:I think most people would have assumed that she invited him in after he helped take out her trash. I thought it made more sense for Kikuma's FIRST action to be to check with Chiharu directly, why deal with the otaku guy with his molestermobile? And I didn't think Kikuma's attitude toward Hongo made sense after he helped bring her home. It makes more sense for her to call him useless and to shoo him away if he hasn't done anything to help her at that point
Hmm, I guess I'm the minor who thinks Kikuma wouldn't bother to invite him in after helping her with her trash. While you make a good case about it, I just thought it was out of character for her because at this point of the movie she still doesn't think highly of him.
takenoko wrote:Yes, but I changed the order. In my version Chiharu is moved by Kikuma and regains her sanity long enough to go to her brother and ask him to kill her
Well like I said, I kinda felt that subplot was over the moment Kikuma went to the empty room which gave way to rider action. :lol:
riderkicker
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Jetman
2nd Favorite Series: BLACK
Dreamy: Hikawa
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa
Favorite Band: FoC
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: King! Ha!

Post by riderkicker »

Thank you Takenoko for your cut. Glad to see you picked up Igadevil's idea about editing the film to make it better.
And at that Albie cried a single tear which turned into a jelly bean all the colors of the rainbow! And
suddenly...Albie wasn't racist anymore!!!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

riderkicker wrote:Thank you Takenoko for your cut. Glad to see you picked up Igadevil's idea about editing the film to make it better.
Well, I had thought up the idea all on my own. It was created rather spur of the moment. As you can see in this thread, I'm not the only one who had such an idea, clearly great minds think alike
alamorules
7X
Favorite series: Too many
Dreamy: ??????
Favorite Actor?: None
Favorite Band: ????
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by alamorules »

You people are crazy ! The movie is fine ! This Takenoko's version is terrible! You killed the mood ! The editting looks like a 5 year old did it. No sense of timing... Man, I can't belive I can get this angry. It was like drawing teeth on the Mona Lisa's smile.

Rocketo punch!!!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

alamorules wrote:You people are crazy ! The movie is fine ! This Takenoko's version is terrible! You killed the mood ! The editting looks like a 5 year old did it. No sense of timing... Man, I can't belive I can get this angry. It was like drawing teeth on the Mona Lisa's smile.
Rocketo punch!!!
I want everyone to enjoy my new work:

At least I didn't use this one
alamorules
7X
Favorite series: Too many
Dreamy: ??????
Favorite Actor?: None
Favorite Band: ????
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by alamorules »

Your missing my point. I can understand that you may not like some things from the movie.Yet, when you change it to the point when it doesn't have the flavor or heart of the original it looses the art and the intention of the creators. Good directors are the ones that give you the writer's original vision. Bad ones just do whatever they like, even if it makes no sense.

Image Iron cutter!
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I thought as well that takenoko was going to end the subplot when Kimura entered the empty room. I like the cut. I didn't feel that having the fan attacks removed detracted from the movie since that was the part I didn't particularly like. Most of the movie was kept intact. He didn't remove the entire subplot which most people would have done.

Return to “Kamen Rider The Next”