Random thoughts on manga

Hay, can u reed?
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Random thoughts on manga

Post by Silentwolfdog »

I was wondering about something. As I cleaned my den and went through some of my manga on shelf. I realized I don't have much luck in getting through some series because companies that published em don't exist anymore. So some series doesn't get everything published.

One of my favorite series is missing the very last volume before company merged to other company. Gah. It's those stuff that sort of kills it for me.

I want to support manga but hate the feeling of not knowing if whole story will be available eventually or not. Sometimes I can just wait until all volumes can be released but some manga are so long story-wise or translation-wise that it can mean years or even decades. I know manga is not as big as anime in America. But it's situations like those that make it hard for manga to be (big). Kinda a shame imo.

Anyhow, I put manga I am not interested in, into box for now. To make room on shelf for my other manga I really like or follow. Now that I have room, I ordered Sailor Moon volume 1-6. I have never read Sailor Moon manga before. Honestly, I kinda worked backward through Sailor Moon series. First series I finished was actually Sailor Moon live action. Then few years later, I watched some seasons of Sailor Moon anime.
Kinda wonder what manga will be like since it's story that started it all. Kinda weird huh? Most people started with manga or anime but I started with live action, lol. Hopefully I will like the manga, or otherwise off it go to the box.

Also my next goal is to finish getting all Inuyasha manga now that Viz's Big Ed version is out. Working my way through some other manga too.

My point for this post? Nothing really, I just wanted to share my feelings about manga and I don't know anyone else that's into manga.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Random thoughts on manga

Post by takenoko »

It's probably the same problem real life publishers have with competing with a newly digital age. I kind of feel like the manga/anime bubble burst, plus there's the bad economy, and manga companies are dealing with scanalators as well, it's probably pretty hard to keep things going and maintain a business like that.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

IMO it's kinda hard to make manga profitable when you're competing with someone who can put things out faster, cheaper and usually with better quality. Most scanlators will take down their stuff if it's been licensed, but there's still those archive copies floating around, and they're hella easy to find.
Silentwolfdog
Save the life

Post by Silentwolfdog »

True. Kinda sad though, because I really like some series want a physical copy of em and I am not in hurry either. Sometimes I just want to sit on my recliner and flip through a volume of manga while drinking hot chocolate. Heh.

Oh and how that's different from anime? Anime seems to be doing well while manga is not? Why's that?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

I would assume for the same reason that people watch TV instead of reading books. TV is just a much more engaging medium, and while manga does have the images, actually seeing them come together and move and talk is just more attention-grabbing.
[kuronogantzryu]
Everything is drama!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: Mirei Kiritani
Favorite Actor?: Tatsuya Fujiwara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by [kuronogantzryu] »

I'd actually read the manga rather than watch the anime. If I've read a good chunk of a series in manga form vs watching it in anime form, it's kinda stupid to stop and watch the anime version just so I can be on the same page as my manga reading.
ImageImage
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I suppose it is a matter of preference. I don't watch anime of series that have manga, purely because I can get through it faster by reading it (ie no filler). Especially if there are serious deviations (Linebarrels or Shaman King).
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Personally, I like manga more since the stories are usually more straight to the point and there's less padding. I'm more likely to remember the story if I see it in anime form though, simply because I'm bad at filling in the details from scene to scene. The problem with anime is that they do like half the story then the anime series ends.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

takenoko wrote:The problem with anime is that they do like half the story then the anime series ends.
Or on the other hand, they can add in pointless filler episodes to try to make the series last longer or to make the manga ahead.

/me points at Naruto.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Silentwolfdog wrote:I was wondering about something. As I cleaned my den and went through some of my manga on shelf. I realized I don't have much luck in getting through some series because companies that published em don't exist anymore. So some series doesn't get everything published.
I was thinking something similar when I was reading some of Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei today. Out of roughly 30 volumes, only 14 of them got published over here in the states so, even though I'll most likely buy them all (have 1-6 currently), it'll seem really odd knowing I might not ever get to complete it.
Kinda wonder what manga will be like since it's story that started it all. Kinda weird huh? Most people started with manga or anime but I started with live action, lol.
I guess though, that's how I got into Cutie Honey so, I can relate.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Reminds me of one of the first series I ever bought, Gatekeepers. It wasn't fantastic, but it was interesting, and I was eagerly awaiting volume 3...until they decided to not translate it because it wasn't making enough money.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It looks like Kodansha took over Del Rey's releases, so maybe you'll be able to finish it after all.

I'm sort of a bad nerd and I rarely buy manga. I just read what we have at the library. I did buy Twin Spica's last few volumes since they didn't have them. I do have the new Sailor Moon boxset, so at least that's something.
Silentwolfdog
Save the life

Post by Silentwolfdog »

Kodansha said they won't rescue any more of Rel Dey manga series. So whatever's up on their list right now is all we will get I guess. Boo~

Guess it's time for me to catch up to digital era lol, at least I have tablet so I can still sit on my recliner and flip through pages. Just that my shelf will be a bit lonely if a lot of series are digital only.

Kinda make me feel a bit jealous of Japaneses lol. So easily access to manga and they can fill their shelves with it.
Joosche
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
My boom: High Fantasy

Post by Joosche »

That only happened once for me. It was the Ultimate DBZ saga (that one with red covers). It sucks.
Other great problem is to wait years for a new volume from a serie (like Hunter x Hunter and Evangelion).

Return to “Manga/Comics”