Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Manga Review: Basara

Post by takenoko »

So as we wrap up Gaim, how about checking out Basara? Like Gaim, the Basara features a story about war and the overthrow of tyrants. The characters are interesting and the complexity of their relationships are one of the main selling points for this series. If you want to see a story about how the Child of Destiny fights a war across Japan to overthrow tyrants in a post-apocalypse pre-industrial civilization, then you'll probably like this story.

It was a 27 volume manga (available on Kindle), an anime TV series, and even has a live action play.

Trigger warning: The story takes place in a lawless society where the strong do terrible things to the weak.

If that's not enough to convince you, here's some minor spoilers for the first volume:
Spoiler
So everyone expects the Child of Destiny to be a boy, but he's killed off super early. The actual Child of Destiny is his twin sister Sarasa. Because of this, there are a lot of situations where she has to pretend to be a person who she isn't, while also playing up this overhyped messiah figure.

Her main enemy is the Red King, who destroyed her village and had her brother killed. The main clicker is that they meet one day while outside their roles and they start to form a relationship. So you spend the series watching to see how their paths cross and where their path of battle takes them. Oh yeah, it's a shoujo manga, did I mention that?

But yeah, I really like it. Even without the romance and Elizabethan subplots, it's fun to watch Sarasa grow from a naive girl into a military commander. She's not strong or a mighty Jedi warrior, so she has to rely on her education and brains to get herself out of conflicts. Like real fucked up stuff happens and she gets depressed by it, like a normal person.
MadCow
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Watanabe Natsuna
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: miraculous
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Manga Review: Basara

Post by MadCow »

Aah... just a note: while your spoiler is neatly hidden in the spoiler tag here on the forum, it is open in plain sight over at the front page.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, no spoiler tag on the front page.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

This sounds a lot like Hokuto no Ken! it is as good as Hokuto no Ken?
Final Vent!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I've only seen a dub of the Fist of the North Star movie, so I dunno. Some of the themes are probably similar, since both take place in civilizations that have sprouted up after the world's been destroyed.

One of the things that I like about the series is the treatment of the villains. For the most part, they're shown to be actual humans. Very few of them are cartoonish villains who are evil for the sake of being evil. I like that, since it makes the story a lot more realistic on the whole.

Return to “Manga/Comics”