Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

After School Nightmares (Manga review)

Post by takenoko »

(Revolutionary Girl Utena)

After School Nightmare is about this girl or maybe a guy girl who dresses as a guy. Goes to high school like a normal dude (he has no penis, and is probably a girl)

The main selling point to this story is that the students have a class after school every Thursday. During this special class, everyone falls asleep and join a shared dream. In this dream world, one appears as the true form that reflects who they are inside. There's no explanation for a lot of the crazy stuff (like once you graduate from the special class, you disappear and everyone forgets about your existence) but you just accept it and it becomes kind of a cool storytelling device

I read volume 9 today and there were some mind blowing revelations that make me want to reread the series. I'm just really enjoying the series as a whole. Despite some dark and heavy stuff, there's a lot of funny moments. The series is very true in its reflection of the self-discovery phase of teenage life.

There are a lot of aspects that remind me of Utena, but if this story pans it, I think it might surpass Utena in terms of story. Check it out if you want to read a weird supernatural mystery
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: After School Nightmares (Manga review)

Post by takenoko »

So I finished the series today and I thought it had an okay ending. It kind of makes sense and I sorta suspected what was going on, but it seems like the "explanation" leaves too many questions

Spoilers for the end
Spoiler
I kind of feel like the story could have explained some stuff more. Like what happens to kids who miss three classes in a row or what happens when you die in that reality. Was Ai-chan real or are all the people in the story outside the class just fake?

What purpose does the class serve? Does that mean everyone in reality that is born is a great person because they went through the experience? It would have made more sense if the class were like some middleground between a past life and the next one instead of just made up stuff to shape one's character. Also, the classroom being on fire made no sense

I kind of wish they showed Kureha in the epilogue, but overall it was okay. The real strong point of the story was definitely in nine, everything else was kind of wrap up.

Definitely a great series and I still highly recommend it to everyone

Return to “Manga/Comics”