Hay, can u reed?
GolgoThirteen
Gao
Favorite series: Shinkenger
Favorite Actor?: Chuck Norris
Favorite Band: Drake

Re: R.I.P. OneManga

Post by GolgoThirteen »

I totally agree with many of your viewpoints, in that the entertainment industry (be it music, movies, books, manga/comics) have been insanely slow at adapting to this new digital age we live in.
They can not seem to effectively:
a) keep their finger on the pulse of the market, nor
b) take effective measures to protect their intellectual property.

In simple economic terms, they failed to SUPPLY what us consumers DEMAND. And when they have attempted to, they end up putting out vulnerable digital media that can be duplicated exponentially in a matter of minutes, infinite amount of times.

Example: your typical music audio CD. Since the late 90's even to this day, a freakin 8 year old with a CD Rom can take just one copy and make it available to millions of people on the internet with little to no computer skills.

Example more relavant to comics/manga: Marvel Comics through a company called GITCorp put out about 10 "Complete Comic Collections" which contained 40-45 years worth of their catalog on DVD-Roms (via PDF files). ["The Incredible Hulk Complete Collection" DVD Rom had about 500 issues, every issue from Hulk #1 from 1962 all the way to the most recent issue at the time in 2006]. These PDF files had no type of piracy protection, so I'm sure about 5,000 pieces worth of Marvel's intellectual property is just floating on the internet to this day.

Today international licenses no longer have as much power as they did in the past. When something entertaining is released anywhere in the world, there are many individuals that will want it, and want it NOW, and have the power to acquire with the proper permission or not. This is the DEMAND that needs to be filled. And at the same time, they need to do their best not to make it so damn easy to duplicate and distribute.

In summary, what these companies have failed to do in this digital age is:
a) make their products easy to purchase as fast as possible, digitally and worldwide
,but also
b) make sure it is as hard as possible for people to download it for free (i.e. protecting files, shutting down websites, P2P's, torrents, etc that infringe on their intellectual property*).

*I think they have every right to do this, however it's not particularly fair when there are certain websites providing a service to consumers that they are unwilling/failing to provide themselves. Especially those services that would most likely be totally unprofitable for any company to undertake. Example, I totally understand the average English-speaking consumer would probably not be rushing out to purchase Japanese Super Sentai or Kamen Rider DVD with English subs. I really believe there is no loss of profits for Toei, Saban, and others from a small demographic like this community here creating and enjoying such things.
MaskedRideEclipse
Gabu
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Hot? Errr, TaJaDoru?
Favorite Actor?: Yu Hasebe
Favorite Band: DREAM
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Gi-Gi-Giga Scan
Quote: At the signature>>>

Post by MaskedRideEclipse »

Hey I'd just reopen OneManga.And it's avaiable.it looks like they just improved the site such as they giving credit to the owner of their respective manga and being detailed for many thing.
-If all that I'd been said is a spoiler, then kindly delete them or put -snips-
'If you wishes to change the world, Then, you'll need to be stronger than the world itself, If you can, then, You're capables on changing the world.'
ShadowX7
NagoSan
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Fourze, P4A/G
Quote: "Misunderstandings happens all the time, more so on the internet."

Post by ShadowX7 »

But no more online reading though

You can only use the site for discussing on the forums and keeping track on new manga scanlation released by the scanlators
"You count the medals, one, two, and three! Life goes on, anything goes, coming up OOO!"

Return to “Manga/Comics”