R.I.P. OneManga

Hay, can u reed?
NeoStorm

R.I.P. OneManga

Post by NeoStorm »

To all who may have noticed recently or as of the last hour from a few of our perspectives, it's just as it implies. onemanga.com is finally closing down.

http://wildquaker.wordpress.com/2010/07 ... a-closing/
^^this message can also be viewed the next time you visit onemanga. But it's here for all to see.

Let's hear what all you manga readers who have read at onemanga, feel about this depressing moment. And let's all try to cherish this while it still lasts.

Thanks again to all the people who've worked at onemanga.com over the years, and it was an honor to support you guys.
Red
Gao

Re: R.I.P. OneManga

Post by Red »

You know what's funny? Right now, I'm translating a manga that was going to be on there. And... This really sucks because they were my ONLY distribution outlet. I had one translation up on there and this was going to be my second. Right now, on page 107 out of a 230 page manga. NOW, what do I do with all the time I've spent on this? All the work that's gone into it? Even worse... My first translation... I had uploaded partially when I had finished the first part of it and when I came back with it finished, one of their staff had replaced my work with someone else's that had been doing it at the same time as me without either of us knowing of each other, and OneManga graciously took my completed volume and put it up over the other person (actually a group). And that group has its distribution, but I'm not a group and I have NO idea what to do with 106 translated pages of manga. [sigh] Looks like my ONLY contribution to this planet will now be wiped clean away... My useless life continues to be useless... >_<
death__decay
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Takeru Satoh
Favorite Actor?: Rin Asuka
Favorite Band: Stereopony, YUI
Quote: さあ、お前の罪を数えろ! Sā, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

Post by death__decay »

Ah it is rather ok....the titans is coming down... But sooner or later there will be another Website like them created. So not very worried and well yea Enjoy it while it lasts...I sure hope that there will be another website that allows viewers to view such mangas as easily as onemanga.com will be created..
BlueDWarrior
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by BlueDWarrior »

While we might be looking at the end of this 'era' of the scanslation warehouse I'm fairly sure that other avenues (hint-hint) will pop up in rather quick time.

But to dovetail to another issue I brought up with NeoStorm in the chat-room, what we are seeing is just another round of the major publishing and distribution houses failing about trying to figure out how they are supposed to manage their content in this Internet Age.

The business model they spent 40+ years crafting has almost been completely undone in 15, as you can see in the print media suffering majorly, the music industry suffering not quite as bad, and the various visual industries going kinda sideways at the present time. A big part of this imho has to do with how absolutely critical advertising has to do with their entire business model, and how the internet and basic human nature is making it progressively harder and harder to ensure that people follow through on buying product. Not to mention the financial quagmire we still find ourselves in means that even if people wanted to buy all the extraneous product that makes franchises worthwhile, they don't have the means to.

Basically these houses, mostly run by bean-counters and other various management types, have been caught flat-footed by the ever increasing ubiquitous-ness of filesharing, and none of them have come up with a consistent model to, in their eyes and in the eyes of many a lawyer, even put a dent in the rampant copying of their material.

It makes you wonder whats going to happen to print publishing and TV/movies/etc. in the next 10-15 years...
JokerExtreme
Infinity
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: Cyclone! Joker!

Post by JokerExtreme »

I loged in to Onemanga and was shocked...
Thanks for all their staffs that did all the good works for a long time.

And I guess soon we will see something like iTune store for manga where you can just buy one electronic book or a chapter for $0.99 or similar price,

If they serve better quality manga with easier way to obtain it, it should still has some customers base.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I believe that the main reason sites like these are up are because of the English fans who want to read a chapter the week it comes out as opposed to waiting however long it takes for a crappy localisation to come around. Granted, I understand the authors point of view, but I'm still running under the impression that most of this stuff is actually bought buy children in Japan anyway, which is their original intended market.

It is a shame however. I've been using OM to follow One Piece ever since they uploaded it. That and Kamen Rider Spirits.
LonelySoldier
Gabu
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Ryukendo
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: AKB48
Quote: Being forgotten is much more painful than being hated...

Post by LonelySoldier »

I rarely visit OM, since I have been using another website as my source of new scanlations for a long time (and it's still active up till now). I used to visit OM only to read some 'rare' comics which weren't exist in another websites.

I'm afraid that this will soon spread to another scanlation HQ, hopefully it won't happen...
What I've learned from watching Kamen Rider OOO :
Don't be greedy, except for Bandai's stuff...
Skiks
Faiz

Post by Skiks »

I always felt scans never actually competed with the series released here and in fact promoted the series a little over here as well. But yeah they do have the right to take it down I just feel they need to come up with some kinda compromise eventually. If I can't read it online I guess I'll just DL what I need from now on. I actually do buy the manga volumes from my favorite series and have quiet a stash already btw.
At least I finished 20th Century Boys before this.
William_Duel
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Faiz
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: The World.

Post by William_Duel »

Well I've always had a strong opinion about manga in the US. Now I won't excuse scanlation groups because it's obvious that to some degree they do affect sales, although people take the steps to make it 'legal' and take it down when stuff is licensed but not everyone does and some stuff is easily available. But the fact of the matter is, that when they blame scanlations as the sole purpose for their decline of sales that is bullshit. Pure and utter bullshit. Again, it's probably part of the problem to some degree but the truth of the matter is that when manga started being big nearly a decade ago and finally had a spot in bookstores, companies kept coming out and kept pumping out books. The policy of the day was to launch thousands of shojo titles because they had finally cornered the female demographic in a way they had been unable to as far as Western Comics. And this led to oversaturation of the market in a lot of ways. And when you oversaturate the market the result is always the same. The result was that titles had to be cut and companies fell under and downsized. So it's bullshit to blame piracy when they can't even see that their business model was also to blame. When that asshole publisher talks about the inverse relationship between sales and scanlations he's an idiot. "Correlation does not always equal causation."

But fuck I guess ultimately I'm pissed because I read onemanga nearly everyday and if scanlation groups are hunted down, then I won't be able to read some of the comics that won't be licensed and will never be translated normally in the US. Shit I'd be worried if they started cracking down on subs too.
Soldat Veritas
EndlessWaltz24
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger
Dreamy: Hirata Yuka (Mele)
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by EndlessWaltz24 »

I won't lie, I'm a complete leecher lol. I don't buy manga for several reasons, some sounding more reasonable than others:
1) Some english translations are just plain awful (I thought the first few Naruto volumes were just bad)
2) I don't like the idea of having to find a place to keep all my manga at (I've seen some of my japanese friends' rooms that have entire bookshelves dedicated to just manga
3) I don't have the money to afford all the manga that I read
4) There are plenty of series that I believe don't warrant the buy

Now don't get me wrong, these are still excuses for being a pirate, and I will miss OneManga a lot, but they did make the right move because no one wants a suit on their hands right?

However, what I think the big problem here is some of the industry's refusal to embrace the internet culture. I mean, don't get me wrong, a business model will always have its' problems, but why not try to follow what other industries are doing? Anime streaming has been getting better through industry-sponsored sites like Crunchyroll and said industry's own personal sites like Funimation, and although music is still pirated like a storm, people are beginning to buy their songs through iTunes or listening through stations like Pandora. The question is why can't the manga/comic industries do the same? With things like Amazon's Kindle (online book-reading store) coming out in the works, why can't the manga/comic industries try that out? Now I'm not saying a full-blown, internet-only way to read manga because there are plenty of people who, like with regular books, prefer reading it on paper, but why not make that an option?
Anime_freek22
Train man
Favorite series: GARO/Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojirou
Favorite Band: UVERworld
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: well dressed pickles
Quote: "You were right all along Finn. Now I'm going to cut out Bubblegum's heart, and make out with it."

Post by Anime_freek22 »

Ugh. I agree with William_Duel. Yes, they have evey right to claim their property and sue for it, but the fact that they claim scanlations as a massive drain is bullshit. There are plenty of people who still legitamately buy manga. I subscribed to the American version of Shonen Jump for a couple of years to help. Yes, there are leechers and such, but a good majority of the fans love manga and would try to stop scanlations from disappearing. There's even a movement on Mangashare to try and remedy this, holding talks with certain companies. The fact that they're doing so is amazing and shows the dedication people have to manga and their love. Besides, who do the companies think they're kidding? There's no way that the American companies can even try to keep up with the scanlations. Look at Viz. They release one manga volume every 4 months. That means to even get close to where certain licensed series's are would require at least 2 years. By that time, some series may have even ended in Japan.
Ultimately, I just feel pissed because the series that I read aren't even licensed and are not likely to be, not to mention that I'm going to have to wait until I'm in college to even find out what happens to Luffy now. This just sucks.
I lost The Game!
Skiks
Faiz

Post by Skiks »

The only time they feel like doing catch up is like one piece where we'll get one a month till we're all caught up. Basically only really popular titles.
Oh and Viz now does 1 every two months at least from what I've seen.
Anime_freek22
Train man
Favorite series: GARO/Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojirou
Favorite Band: UVERworld
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: well dressed pickles
Quote: "You were right all along Finn. Now I'm going to cut out Bubblegum's heart, and make out with it."

Post by Anime_freek22 »

Really? I thought that was only for manga that they actually ran in their magazine though, like Hikaru no Go or Slam Dunk. Other manga like Hunter x Hunter and Claymore, they don't update nearly as often.
I lost The Game!
Skiks
Faiz

Post by Skiks »

HxH is all caught up with volume releases now. The real problem is togashi taking 23213213 years to put out a chapter. Pokemon special and Rockman.exe had been released every two months despite being unpopular to a point.
NeoStorm

Post by NeoStorm »

I'll admit that i did read on onemanga mostly, but of course i have other sources. It WILL suck that I won't be able to read all my mangas in one place, but i guess it can't be helped. I managed to catch up with the releases, so it's no worry. Plus thinking scanalations are causing the drain is also total bullcrap. If there wasn't manga, there wouldn't be scanalations to begin with. Just what the hell are they thinking?! Although onemanga made the wise choice in obligating to their terms to avoid a lawsuit. It's unjust and unfair, but oh well :\

Return to “Manga/Comics”