Favorite series: Ryukendo
Dreamy: Sayaka Isoyama
Favorite Band: Clazziquai
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Video Games
Type: INFP Healer

S-Cry-Ed (Manga)

Post by Gunzy »

So when I got the Anime Legends Collection of S-Cry-Ed that had a little special feature on four of the disc that were sound comics which the series was based off of. At the time, I had no money to buy the actual comics so I had to stick with the ones they had on the DVDs, but now I have the first three of five volumes and I just wanna give a mini-review on them.

Book 1 spoilers

Spoiler
Book 1 pretty much starts out completely different from the manga as in the TV series Kazuma was sent to rescue a couple hostages from a gang lead by the alter user ,Biff, and in the manga he's rescuing a group of people being held hostage at a faux-school known as "Freedom Academy" which is ran by the alter user ,Hagurumo.

Another thing you'll notice right of from the beginning is that Kazuma's surname is different. Instead of being known as Kazuma The Shell Bullet, he's known as Kazuma the Treasoner, which to me, sounds way better than The Shell Bullet. His abilities has slighty changed and in a way he's more powerful that the Kazuma that was introduced in the anime seeing that the more emotional he gets the stronger he gets, and he also had the ability to use a person's spirit into one of his bullets (he's only did this once so far so I dunno how true this statement is).

About midway into the manga, Kazuma has his first run in with the HOLY (Lost Ground Special Missions Unit which is basicly Alters fighting for HOLY) while fighting the Mantis Queen, an alter that had the ability to summon two giant mantis' (a male and a female) and an ability to absorb the life essence out of people in exchange for eternal youth and beauty. Kazuma easily beats the first mantis (the male) but gets overwhelmed by the second one. Right before he met his demise, he's rescued by the HOLY officer Ryuho. Without exposing his Alter, he defeats the Mantis Queen or so he thought...

After a small back and forth banter between him and Kazuma, the Mantis Queen muster her remaining energy for one last assault against the intruders but is cut down by Ryuho's alter, Zetsuei. During this uproar, Kazuma and his friend, Kinishima, quickly escape so they won't get arrest and taken into Holy custody.

The first book ends when the little girl Kazuma is taking care of "Kanami" runs into one of her friends (Kiko) during weekly rationing of food from the government to the people of the wasteland. During the inspection, a group of soliders for HOLY, are doing routine checks on the people of the wasteland to see if they have any Alter powers, latent or not, and if found with it, they're to be taken to an abandoned hanger nearby where they were being secretly executed by HOLY officer George Tatsunami.

Kiko ends up scanning positive for Alter powers and is sent to mentioned hangar and shot down along with a group of other people, but she manages to make it out after being shot just to give out a message to Kanami telling her to give her rations to her ailing mother and dies. Enraged by the act, Kazuma goes out to fight Tatsunami to exact revenge for Kiko's death. He defeats Tatsunami and his alter (Big Magnum) and places his under eternal convinction with his "Shell Bullet of Grief" made of Kiko's spirt. A few days later back at HOLY's headquarters, an injured George Tatsunami lays in a infirmary bed being examined by HOLY officer Asuka Tachibana and it's noted that Kazuma was the one who caused Tatsunami to enter his state of mental instability. With this note, Ryuho and his team head out into the wasteland to find Kazuma.
ImageImage

Return to “Manga/Comics”