Hay, can u reed?
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Code Name Sailor V

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Codename Sailor V! The Pretty Guardian in a Sailor Suit! Sailor Venus!

Who else is collecting this series?
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Code Name Sailor V

Post by PHurricane »

I am! I just got the first English volume of both Sailor V and PGSM in the mail and I am wildly impressed. Maybe I'm just out of touch and this is the norm for Kodansha, but I love how true they've kept to the Japanese printing. The books read right to left, with a helpful note on the "first" page to "Tomare!" because manga is "a completely different type of reading experience". The warning then proceeds to explain how and why the book should be read (seemingly) backwards.

Honorifics are intact, including sempai and sensei. There are several pages of official notes in the back, explaining cultural quirks, name meanings that might otherwise get lost in translation, or references that might not make as much sense over a decade after the original printing. My favorite so far - a note explaining what sentai is that references both Gotchaman and Power Rangers.

As a teaser for the PGSM volume, they include the first couple pages of the next chapter...which still has the original Japanese text. That was a fun easter egg. I'm quite glad I decided to continue my collection with the new editions.

Return to “Manga/Comics”