DaikaijuSokogeki!
Go Go!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Den-O
Favorite Actor?: Ken'ichi Matsuyama
Favorite Band: Orange Range
Alignment: Neutral

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

TheRamenBandit wrote:since this was known as Shin Kamen Rider Prologue, doesn't that mean that this could be the actual FIRST Kamen Riders ever made?
It's called Prologue because Ishinomori planned on it being a pilot to a TV show about Shin Kamen Rider. However, the movie received universally negative reactions from fans and critics and never got continued. That's why Kamen Rider ZO and Kamen Rider J were made, to basically show the world Kamen Riders that people could accept.

Well, I'm glad someone finally subbed this movie. I haven't watched it yet, but I plan to within the next few days.
Kabuto
Infinity

Re: Shin Kamen Rider

Post by Kabuto »

I much enjoyed watching this movie again but this time with sub and HQ thank you guys ,
the transformation scene it was great to see the shift in stages and gradually change the shape of his body and most thing i like the scenes of violence and bloodshed ^ ^
i’ve seen the other movies and i think this one lacks a lot of things likes enemies and actions
even thought the movie extended almost a hour long which his to be much fun since is about kamen rider but all that went in the story which i didn’t like :?
Deka_Hero
Humongous
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Quote: I DEMAND THINGS TO BE AWESOME! - Michel Bay

Post by Deka_Hero »

Wow, it's sad i just got around to seeing this now, but....

Spoiler
Holy Hot Asian T&A Batman
I was surprised this movie had actual nudity in it, and i just sat there shaking my fist....................

If only some of the Heisei girls took note (dreams of a Yu Takahashi rendition)
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

I remember reading up on this movie and what caught my eye was the comparison made to David Cronenberg's The Fly, in the extreme violence department, that's what attracted me to this film.

plus, I'm a great admirer of people who creatively take a concept and try to do something different with it rather than stick with the tried and true.

I love the realism and grittiness of this film, and the lycanthropic aspect to the transformations.

its a shame there wasn't a 'making of' documentary or a behind the scenes featurette to compliment the film, but it doesn't really matter. The fact the film is subbed at all is awesome!
Gojira
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Re:

Post by Gojira »

DaikaijuSokogeki! wrote:
TheRamenBandit wrote:since this was known as Shin Kamen Rider Prologue, doesn't that mean that this could be the actual FIRST Kamen Riders ever made?
It's called Prologue because Ishinomori planned on it being a pilot to a TV show about Shin Kamen Rider. However, the movie received universally negative reactions from fans and critics and never got continued. That's why Kamen Rider ZO and Kamen Rider J were made, to basically show the world Kamen Riders that people could accept.
That's a shame. It would have been awesome as a series. It would be like Lone Wolf and Cub, but instead of samurais, they're killer cyborg/human/grasshoppers.
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

Having just finished watching this the other day with my wife, I was amazed by how different from the norm this was, which I think is necessary to do every so often, especially when you have a long running franchise. Each incarnation may be different and the story may be different, but the way things should be approached in the storytelling overall should also be unique and different enough to keep it fresh. I mean, just because you have an established formula that was successful in the first place doesn't necessarily mean that that same formula should be applied again and again.

I rather enjoyed the darker and more adult-oriented approach to the subject matter, especially making the transformation aspect seem more lycanthropic. I also rather liked the sci-fi approach that this creature came about largely through man's attempt to play God through the use of science. I also rather loved the basis for the experiments to strengthen the body's genetic structure against infectious agents, my wife pointed out that it was almost like stem cell research without the stem cells, and also long before such a term would even be coined.

No doubt the visual, cinematic, stylistic and atmospheric approach to this particular Kamen Rider story owes a lot to David Cronenberg's version of 'The Fly', and some of the emotional imagery regarding Shin's own angst over his situation and how its affecting his relationship with his girlfriend, shares some similiarities with 'The Incredible Hulk', which I thought was really nice.

I was somewhat confused and a bit put off by the ending.

Spoiler
His girlfriend dies while still carrying Shin's unborn child and yet its hinted that the fetus is still alive even though the mother is dead, and the movie ends before we even see how the unborn child is saved or even brought into the world. I know this was meant to act as a pilot for a potential series and its possible that story thread would've been explored had the series been made, but it would've been nice if this thread in particular hadn't been left dangling

Other than the ending, I really enjoyed the film.
ultramanmattia
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: all ultramen
2nd Favorite Series: most of the kamen ri
Dreamy: natsuki
Favorite Actor?: hiroshi myaguchi
Favorite Band: JAM project
My boom: killing racist guys

Post by ultramanmattia »

the first kamen rider movie with sex scenes YAAAAAY!!!! :lol:
Oozey
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by Oozey »

I honestly thought this movie was terrible.
ciaranproudfoot
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: SuperSentaiShinkenge
2nd Favorite Series: Super sentai Gekiran
Favorite Band: Queen
My boom: Super Sentai
Quote: I like Toffee Apples

Justice league Cry for Justice

Post by ciaranproudfoot »

INTERESTING MOVIE I MEAN WOW an adult styled masked rider that is awsome.
Vim Crony
7X
Favorite series: Sh15uya
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Dreamy: Mio
Favorite Actor?: Cleavant Derricks
Favorite Band: Polaris
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kiva and Comix

Post by Vim Crony »

I really just wish that there was a MUCH SHORTER VERSION (half short!?) than this full on feature. For me it just draaaagggsss. And this kind of movie needs to constantly be moving. Can someone do an edit??? Hmmm...

P.S. I love ZO! If ZO were 90 minutes, it might not hold up as well. :-/
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Well, if you ever want to recut it, just let me know. It's pretty much as simple as writing a list of numbers from what frame to what frame you want to actually include.
Vim Crony
7X

Post by Vim Crony »

I just might! The Unofficial Vim Crony Edit :-). I really think the length of this film is what held it back from becoming a fan favorite.
Vim Crony
7X

Post by Vim Crony »

P.P.S. Actually, Keita Amemiya says in the ZO Behind The Scenes video that there IS a 90 minute version of ZO that they cut down in half. I just don't think we'll ever see that feature length version.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Oh really? I wonder what gems are missing.
FirenOh
Vaglass
Vaglass
Favorite series: Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Favorite Actor?: Mio Kudo
My boom: Hoshimachi Suisei
Type: INTP Architect

Post by FirenOh »

takenoko wrote:Oh really? I wonder what gems are missing.
Probably all of ZO's character development.
"Absence diminishes little passions and increases great ones, as wind extinguishes candles and fans a fire." -Walt Whitman
Yes, you are certain Walt Whitman said that. One hundred percent positive.

Return to “Kamen Rider (Completed)”