Reccomendations?

All the colors of the rainbow
ChristianPasaoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Reccomendations?

Post by ChristianPasaoa »

I'm pretty new to Tokusatsu. I've watched Gokaiger, Shinkenger, and over half of Kamen Rider W. I'm already itching for another Sentai series to watch. What's a good one to see in my position?
TAKBonez
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club
Favorite series: Kyouryuuger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Fourze
Dreamy: Luka Milfy
Favorite Actor?: None
Favorite Band: Punk & Crust
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: Hime hime hime, suki suki daisuki, hime hime
Type: ESFP Performer

Re: Reccomendations?

Post by TAKBonez »

Akibaranger its only 13 episodes and season 2 just started so more eps yay. After that play a quick catch up on This yrs sentai Kyouryuuger currently on Ep 7. Akiba S2 & Kyouryuuger r the current Sentai's Airing. If ur already watching those and want a past Sentai I'd say either Go-Buster's or Goseiger r both good. Haven't seen an Sentai pre Shinkenger yet. If u started watching Toku cuz u watched PR as a kid then go with Go-Buster's theres some PR references.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

On this site, you will find...

-Dekaranger: My all-time favorite Sentai, I am a gigantic fanboy and I don't care! I love it!
-Magiranger: Ehh... Wolzard was about the only thing I liked about it.
-Boukenger: Better than Magiranger. Pretty good, though I didn't love it.
-Gekiranger: Becomes the Jan & Rio Show starring some other guys maybe after a while, so give it a try and if you don't like either of those guys by the time GekiViolet shows up, give it a miss.
-Go-Onger: This one's a comedy that embraces the fact that it's for kids. If that turns you off, then there's nothing I can do to change your mind, but I honestly and sincerely enjoyed it.
-Shinkenger: My first Sentai (that I watched to completion, anyway). I love this one as well, though not as much as Dekaranger. Really strong story and characterization.
-Goseiger: Kinda bland and weak for most of it's run, although Alata (GoseiRed) gradually becomes super badass as it goes on.
-Gokaiger: A gleeful celebration of thirty five years of Sentai. Has a few problems, but they're easy to forgive in the face of how much fun the show is having.
-Go-Busters: An odd beast. I'd say I like it, but the frequent retools make it feel like it kind of drags...
-Kyoryuger: Definitely worth your time, shaping up to be another homerun swing like Deka, Shinken and Gokai.
KisekiRed
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Favorite Actor?: Hiroya Matsumoto
Favorite Band: D'espairsray
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Toku and Visual Kei
Quote: "The only way to get away from loneliness is to love it" - Moi Dix Mois

Post by KisekiRed »

TheLastTatlFan wrote:On this site, you will find...

-Dekaranger: My all-time favorite Sentai, I am a gigantic fanboy and I don't care! I love it!
-Magiranger: Ehh... Wolzard was about the only thing I liked about it.
-Boukenger: Better than Magiranger. Pretty good, though I didn't love it.
-Gekiranger: Becomes the Jan & Rio Show starring some other guys maybe after a while, so give it a try and if you don't like either of those guys by the time GekiViolet shows up, give it a miss.
-Go-Onger: This one's a comedy that embraces the fact that it's for kids. If that turns you off, then there's nothing I can do to change your mind, but I honestly and sincerely enjoyed it.
-Shinkenger: My first Sentai (that I watched to completion, anyway). I love this one as well, though not as much as Dekaranger. Really strong story and characterization.
-Goseiger: Kinda bland and weak for most of it's run, although Alata (GoseiRed) gradually becomes super badass as it goes on.
-Gokaiger: A gleeful celebration of thirty five years of Sentai. Has a few problems, but they're easy to forgive in the face of how much fun the show is having.
-Go-Busters: An odd beast. I'd say I like it, but the frequent retools make it feel like it kind of drags...
-Kyoryuger: Definitely worth your time, shaping up to be another homerun swing like Deka, Shinken and Gokai.
My Two Cents

-Dekaranger: Haven't Seen it yet, Next on my list.
-Magiranger: I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MAGIRANGER!
-Boukenger: Haven't seen it yet.
-Gekiranger: Gets slow once GekiViolet and GekiChopper show up. Takes a bit to get back on its feet.
-Go-Onger: I loved Go-Onger, not as much as Magiranger. I can easily see this being a hit or miss. It can be childish at times. But it's one of those series that I believe to have a lot of heart.
-Shinkenger: This was my first Sentai as well. It gives the Sentai and Samurai Feel and has really cool duels between Juzou and Takeru.
-Goseiger: Haven't seen it, but not in a rush to start it.
-Gokaiger: This one I highly recommend. Gokaiger and Magiranger are a tie as my favorite.
-Go-Busters: Unlikeable characters at the start. Doesn't get any good until 17 episodes in when Jin and J show up. Hiromu and Ryuji don't get really likeable until the end. Weak start, Super powerful ending. Also, home of one of the most brilliant Sentai Villians ever. I am not making that point lightly.
-Kyoryuger: Unlike "TheLastTatlFan, I can see this being a hit or miss. For me so far it was a miss. I sadly had really high hopes for this one until the last few episodes. This should be an easy catch up. Hopefully it will pull itself around soon.
Completed Rider Series: Amazon, Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze
Completed Sentai Series: Dairanger, Magiranger, Gekiranger, Go-Onger, Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Flashman! :P

but, if you want one that we've covered\(ing):
> Dairanger - Kick-butt action with tons of out-of-suit fights and stunts, has a great arc guest-starring Yutaka Hirose and, just lots of fun.
> Megaranger - Smack out your boredom! Great characters that you grow to care for and, the writing isn't bad either (so far).
> Gekiranger - Kick-butt action though less out of suit fights than Dai; and, like TheLastTatlFan said, it does become the Jan and Rio show after a while but... if you're not getting into it, least hang in there until Gou comes in. Riki Miura brings a lot to the show and, it's great.
> Shinkenger - It's ok though, avoid Akumaro. He's the worst character of the characters.
> Gokaiger - Better anni. series than Ohranger, Gao and Bouken put together.
butyoumight
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Sengoku Ryouma
Favorite Actor?: Jinnai Sho
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Persona 4
Quote: Ware wa kage, shinnaru ware.

Post by butyoumight »

I'll play too! Going off the ones I've seen only:

-Go-Onger: My first Sentai, and I loved it a lot. Coming to Sentai from Power Rangers, I found the drastic difference between Go-Onger and RPM impressive. Go-Onger is a very campy season with a lot of humor and a bit of childishness, but certainly not in a bad way. If you like entertainment with a lighter tone, Go-Onger is a good place to hit. (Judging by your already watched list, you haven't seen a lighter Sentai yet, so it might be worth a try!)

-Shinkenger: You've already seen this one, so I guess I don't have to tell you how excellent I think it is. Hah!

-Gokaiger: Same goes for this, if you've seen Gokaiger you don't need my recommendation!

-Go-Busters: Hands down my favorite Sentai. It's different from past Sentai, but I love it for that. Some people might find the characters off putting, I found them compelling and intriguing. Child-soldiers. Starts off with every indication of being lighter in tone like Go-Onger, and RAPIDLY escalates into pretty dramatic territory. Incredibly heart-wrenching ending, I think powerful performances from everyone, and not just the Rangers but the Support Crew and Villains as well. And, like said before, one of the most intense, intelligent and out-and-out dangerous villains in Sentai history. In this direction, I know some people who did not like Go-Busters because they found themselves rooting for the villain and they don't like that dynamic in their Sentai. So, fair warning there.

-Kyoryuger: I'm enjoying Kyouryu well enough, but it's definitely a bit of a super-light-hearted romp, it's actually gearing up to make Go-Onger look like it takes itself seriously. Might be worth picking up just because it's only partially complete, so you can jump right on the bandwagon and join in with the as-it-airs discussion.

And I know this topic is in the Sentai forum, but you mentioned having watched W so if you're in the market for a new Kamen Rider, my personal favorite is Den-O, especially if you like Super Sentai quite a lot, because I feel that Den-O has a lot of the same 'team' dynamic that Sentai does. Also an incredible plot, one of the best handlings of time travel I've ever seen in popular media, and a very strong cast.

Return to “Super Sentai (Completed)”