As the Heisei era comes to a close...

All the colors of the rainbow
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

As the Heisei era comes to a close...

Post by Sinkuu »

I'm curious to start a debate on the better (not best, I'm not gonna try to go there) series of the era. I'm gonna make it simple and start at TurboRanger, since Liveman was ending when the era started.

Now, this pretty much encapsules everything that the American Audiences have been exposed to, so we have a wide swath to deal with. and I admit I don't have a LOT of sentai knowledge from the early days of Heisei, so I'm gonna be slightly biased.

from what I know, some of my favorite series:

GoKaiger (honestly hard to beat this imo)
TOQGer
Go-Busters
DaiRanger

I'm interested in OhRanger, GoGoV, and TimeRanger, and yeah, I seriously want to get my hands on ZyuRanger.

(jeez, have I really only watched the past 10 years worth??? I'm slacking.)

go for it!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: As the Heisei era comes to a close...

Post by takenoko »

Hmm, it's pretty hard to choose between Shinkenger and Go-Busters. Both are full of gravitas and amazing characters and scenes.

Gokaiger was definitely fun too.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Sentai usually never stands out to me as being amazing. I usually just watch it because the reason I got into Toku was Power Rangers and I watch Rider.

Kyoryuger was my favourite for sure. It really stood out to me with great writing and characters and had a nice balance of fun and serious.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

If we're starting at TurboRanger, then I suppose all the sentai I've liked from then to now would be:

TurboRanger
Jetman
ZyuRanger
DaiRanger
KakuRanger
CarRanger
MegaRanger
Gingaman
GogoV
TimeRanger (to a point)
GaoRanger
AbaRanger
DekaRanger
GekiRanger (I might need to rewatch, though)
Shinkenger
Gokaiger

Goseiger and anything between Go-Busters to Ninninger I need to see in full; Zyuohger bored me and imo, LuPat was... eh, it was okay. I wouldn't rank it highly any.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

Goseiger, Kyoryuger, ToQger, Kyuranger are my favorites, some for the characters, others for the story, sometimes for both.
Every shows tend to suffer from the same problem anyways : too many "fillers", breaks from the plot, during the middle part. It does make things realistic as not everything is happening at once, allow to explore the characters and the relationships, but sometimes, it's just to fill the format.
KRDangerousZombie
7X
Favorite series: Sentai:Go-Busters Kamen Rider:W
2nd Favorite Series: Sentai:Toqger
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by KRDangerousZombie »

I'd say Go-Busters, Toqger, Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Dekaranger & Gekiranger are prooooooooooobably the best shows, but i also haven't seen LVSP or any season pre 2003 yet, so there's gaps in my knowledge there. I've heard a LOT of people talk about Jetman like it's the best show that ever existed but i haven't seen it yet so i don't know. I also think Kyouryuuger and Boukenger were pretty solid shows and in general i think there's only really been 2 AWFUL shows in that run of 2004-2017 with the rest being at least okay, but usually better.
Completed Series
Sentai
: Abaranger-Ryusoulger
Kamen Rider : Black to Zi-O
Garo : Every non-anime season.

Watching Series
Zero-One, Kiramager.

Return to “Super Sentai (Completed)”