Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Faiz
Dreamy: Faiz Bar Tender chic
Favorite Band: L'Arc en Ciel
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Cars i suppose

Re: Ryuki 49 released

Post by DrinkItDown »

I agree with everyone saying that the show should have been called Kamen Rider Knight. I've always sort of felt like Ren was more the main character than Shinji...hell, we even got Knight Survive first.
Old school TVN member
formerly FA|RokkumanEXE
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

Knight got survive first because he was in the game the longest, whereas Ryuki was relatively new.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Dengar wrote:Knight got survive first because he was in the game the longest, whereas Ryuki was relatively new.
No. Shirou basically gave those cards to Tezuka and Shinji to make them to fight the Rider War his way. Tezuka didn't use his Survive card and gave it to Ren before he died.
Bauffie
Save the life
Dreamy: Nakatsu Shuichi
Favorite Actor?: Matsuyama Kenichi
Favorite Band: Gazette
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Hayami's trendy hat

Post by Bauffie »

FFFFF

>_> I cried like an idiot at the end. Shinji became my favorite Kamen Rider main character as I progressed in this series and after seeing this ep, it looks like he secured himself that spot forever(or something). >_> His indecisiveness (and somewhat naivete) was what drove him back and forth in his choices, but that also makes him so believable, so sympathetic. He was the one who connected all the Riders together and he was the one who brought any change to this whole game/battle. Kamen Rider "Ryuki" is right. :T
Deathstrike
Go Go!

Post by Deathstrike »

I am glad to see Shinji go this way. Having him killed in battle would not have had the same effect. We have already seen Riders get killed in battle so many times. I rather wanted to see Shinji die while protecting, rather than die while fighting.

He stayed true to his word the whole time.

I agree with some people here. The show always seemed to be more about Ren than Shinji.
Normally in a KR show, you have the main character who learns the diffrent values of life from his sidekick.
Shinji is the one who has been building up Ren's character through the whole show. Not the other way around.

Shinji is exactly the same as he was when the show started.
Susan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Susan »

I've been waiting for this episode. I read about Shinji's death before, but I was a bit surprised at how it was accomplished, and how underdeveloped his character is at this point. I was also surprised that Yui disappeared early! I wonder why they haven't really explained that Kanzaki must be his mirror-version as well, especially after they explained the who/what/why/how about Yui.

Don't talk about that yet. Save for the final episode discussion. - Phoenix512

And yeah, this series should be called Kamen Rider Knight. Kinda like how Kamen Rider Blade should have been called Kamen Rider Chalice, or at least Super Kamen Sentai Riders.
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

BLOOD! XD
kaemmerite
Robo's Birthday
Favorite series: Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
My boom: JRPGs

Post by kaemmerite »

Geez, why is everyone saying "This show should be called Kamen Rider Knight?"

No, it was never more about Ren. Think about Ren through the series. He was always the guy getting into fights for no reason, fighting hard for Eri, not caring about others. If Shinji hadn't appeared, Ren would have kept on fighting same as the other Riders, and he would've died too...remember Tezuka's vision about what would happen in the Knight/Gai battle?

How did Shinji affect Ren? How did he affect Kitaoka? He was so central to the entire thing that Tezuka even did everything he could to die in Shinji's place.

So what that he wasn't the strongest? So what that he was an indecisive weenie? He changed everything when he became a Rider. He completely messed up Kanzaki's plans.

Yeah, Ren was the focus of a lot of the story...so what? That doesn't make him the main character, and it doesn't mean the show should be named after him. My favorite Rider series, Hibiki, the entire point of the whole show was Asumu growing up. Yeah there was Oni and Makamou, and they were important to the plot to, but at its core Hibiki was about Asumu. Asumu wasn't the title character, though (that'd be kinda hard since he wasn't a Rider), but you see where I'm going with this?

Even if the show focused on Ren a lot, at its core the show was about Shinji and how he affected the Rider Battle. He was absolutely the main character, and the show was right to be named after Ryuki.

As for the episode itself, Shinji's death didn't affect me as much as other stuff in other Rider series, but it was definitely a good death...I still feel that the emotional impact was SLIGHTLY lessened a bit as Shinji's death was a bit too similar to that bastard Toujou's death.
riderkicker
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Jetman
2nd Favorite Series: BLACK
Dreamy: Hikawa
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa
Favorite Band: FoC
My boom: King! Ha!

Post by riderkicker »

Man, sad episode. The main character died like the selfless moron he is. Sure he was a useless guy, but his courage redeemed every one of his lesser traits.
And at that Albie cried a single tear which turned into a jelly bean all the colors of the rainbow! And
suddenly...Albie wasn't racist anymore!!!
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

While Knight was the pivotal character in the last episode, you do have to remember who changed him in the first place. When Ren was introduced, he was a bit of a jerk, and this changed slowly throughout the series when he would talk with Shinji and discover that some of his ideals were wrong. If it hadn't been for Shinji, Ren wouldn't have become the guy we saw in the final episode.

The reason why I said it should be called "Kamen Rider Knight" was mainly because, well, who lets their main character die before the final episode?
Iaatix
Gabu

Post by Iaatix »

kaemmerite wrote: How did Shinji affect Ren? How did he affect Kitaoka? He was so central to the entire thing that Tezuka even did everything he could to die in Shinji's place.
I see your point. I flip-flop back and forth on it. I think it irritates me that Shinji was pretty much exactly the same in episode 49 as he was in episode 1. Everyone else changed, yes...due to his influence, but he just didn't. I kind of wish he had been outed to the Ore Journal staff a little earlier, there was some room for some interesting story there.

So what that he wasn't the strongest? So what that he was an indecisive weenie? He changed everything when he became a Rider. He completely messed up Kanzaki's plans.
kaemmerite wrote: My favorite Rider series, Hibiki, the entire point of the whole show was Asumu growing up. Yeah there was Oni and Makamou, and they were important to the plot to, but at its core Hibiki was about Asumu. Asumu wasn't the title character, though (that'd be kinda hard since he wasn't a Rider), but you see where I'm going with this?
Also a good point. Hibiki is my favorite as well and yeah, it was about Asumu more than Hibiki...in fact, Hibiki is probably the character we knew the least about at the end of the series. I think it might have had less (undeserved) criticism if it had been called something like "Shounen Yo and the Oni". Just avoid the whole Kamen Rider thing completely.

Also...I think the "Survive" card is misnamed.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I've been looking forward to this episode ever since one of my first exposures to Kamen Rider was someone complaining about how they disliked Ryuki because Shinji didn't even survive to the last episode. So, even though his death lost its shock value, the moment when Shinji is pierced by the monster was still pretty powerful. I'd have to agree with others who said this was the most meaningful way for Shinji to die. Not only did the killing blow come while he was protecting someone else, the reason he became a Rider in the first place, but it came while he was still Shinji - not Ryuki. Could be me reading too much into it, but I thought that was pretty significant in showing that Shinji never truly became a Kamen Rider, at least as far as Kanzaki would have defined it. He never never lost sight that he fought as himself, with all of his morals and flaws, from the first time he got sucked into Mirror World up to his death.

Ren's response during Shinji's last moments and after his death were incredible. If I didn't already respect Satoshi Matsuda as an actor, I would now.

I almost forgot about Yui's disintegration. Unfortunately, I think I was so overwhelmed with knowing what was coming for Shinji that Yui's death was more an annoyance than anything else.

I wouldn't say the show should have been renamed, but it did feel more like Ren's story than Shinji's to me. Particularly in the earlier episodes, the plot seemed to be driven by exploring Ren's past and his reasons for fighting whereas Shinji felt like the annoying sidekick character. Also early on, other riders and their stories had to be introduced. It wasn't until a little past the midway point of the series, when the cast stabilized, that the emphasis really shifted to the choices that Shinji had to make. I think what makes it "Kamen Rider Ryuki" more than anything else is that, although the story may have focused on other characters, the audience saw the story through Shinji's perspective and his effect on the Rider Battle.
AeonRanger
Robo's Birthday
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Chou Sei Shin
Dreamy: Sayaka Isoyama
Favorite Actor?: Inuoe Masahrio
Favorite Band: Tetra-Fang
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: HENSHIN

Post by AeonRanger »

this episode was pretty sick, not slang talk, especially the part when shinji coughed up that blood i mean i know there's been blood in kr series but never like that. i didn't expect stuff that happened in this episode to happen. so now only four riders remain and it's gonna be one hell of a showdown
Tensou - Let me count the number of your crimes
kokowaks
Salami Commander

Post by kokowaks »

for me this is the best series(even though i think blade has the best storyline). it talks about different philosophies in life that if one looks deeper into it, one can see that each one of us is like a rider in this series... and this is probably the most "HUMAN" of all the kamen rider...

i always thought shinji was just there for the sake of attaching the kamen rider name as well as the bug eyes title character... but if we look into the story more deeply, he is the most human of all not only a kamen rider... and in the end, he truly grasp the very meaning of being the title character, dying for the sake of someone selflessly...

although the series is very complex, it is very lovable. its more mature and deep without becoming emo
KR_FIA
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by KR_FIA »

Since this is the last episode in which the opening shows up...

So those characters with censored-eyes have no relation with the story and are just pure cosmetics? And I was actually thinking that there will be a kid or an old man being a participant to the war.

That said, it is rather ironic for Ren to tell a guy to stay alive while he was also the guy that he could have killed in cold blood early of the series. Guess that showed us how an idiot simpleton changed Ren over the series.

Return to “Kamen Rider Ryuki”