Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Ryuki complete series discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

No, I don't need to give a reason, because your argument that it is pointless is flawed. This isn't a sport tournament where the final result is based on number of kills and time it takes to kill them. You're willfully ignoring all the story elements and character relationships. All you're doing is saying the same things at this point, if you don't get it by now, just give it up. You're not going to get it
Hears All
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Miu!!!
Favorite Actor?: Yumi Sugimoto
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider

Post by Hears All »

takenoko wrote:No, I don't need to give a reason, because your argument that it is pointless is flawed. This isn't a sport tournament where the final result is based on number of kills and time it takes to kill them. You're willfully ignoring all the story elements and character relationships. All you're doing is saying the same things at this point, if you don't get it by now, just give it up. You're not going to get it
Story elements and character relationships almost never happen in fights, they usually happen when the Riders aren't fighting. When has the story ever advanced during a fight? When have characters made meaningful interaction during a fight? Very, very rarely
gh0stwrit3r
Kamen Knight
My boom: Grounded

Post by gh0stwrit3r »

Series discussion, not Series debate. lol. stop this shit >_>;

It's done and for what it's worth, it's part of KR. Never mind the debatable-y pointless fights, the story is all it's worth. In the end Shinji won because his wish was granted, and everyone lived, one way or another.

And hey, it wasn't at all pointless. The point is, war is pointless. And the fights being pointless, reflects just that. In the end everything reset and everyone ended up not meeting each other, atleast not how the Rider war affected and intertwined all their fates. The end = No Rider War = Peace. ^^;

also:
Ryuga = complete opposite of Ryuki, which would translate to, what Ryuki loves = what Ryuki hates.
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by jolly_old_saint »

That's assuming shadowy mirror dragonman was dragonman's freaky mirror clone and not something else. But going by that logic, Yui must've been one evil person to have that kind of freaky mirror clone...

...Of course, that makes perfect sense, given that she and her brother gave form to the mirror world...twisted deathgame presumably included...
mateo360
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Den-o
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Favorite Band: GACKT
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider

Post by mateo360 »

I think Ryuga was just a way to recycle the Ryuki Black Form Armor.
Do Not Underestimate the Power of Tommy's Ass.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

Mirror Shinji might have been created from the desire to play with that boy.
kokowaks
Salami Commander

Post by kokowaks »

ryuga was there so that shinji can show that he can fight well since if he was a real human rider shinji would probably just tackle him to a side and saying to stop fighting or something...

for me i think the ryuki vs ryuga battle was actually done well... most of the time when the main hero faces the main villain/rival he usually teams up with the secondary rider and they go ultimate mode or goes drama and the likes... it took me a second look in the movie just to appreciate this...
Insidious
I am not a number. I am an individual!

Post by Insidious »

Just finished the whole series and I am in awe. This is only my second Rider series, after having seen 555. I loved the story of Ryuki, even though there were some things that were never explained regarding the Rider War and how it came to be. I wasn't a big fan of the fighting with cards and a lot of it was pretty repetitive. Asakura should've been killed so many times but he kept getting away, though I gotta admit he was an awesome villain.

Anyway, the TV ending was such a perfect ending, until the time travel BS. Why does time travel always have to ruin things? It ruined the Superman Movie. Kitaoka's death was so sad, but it was much more emotional than the crap send-off he got in Episode Final. Asakura's final battle that ends with a dead Gorou-chan was touching. It was sad for Asakura to miss out on his final battle, but it was even more sad to see Gorou-chan die. He was one of my favorite characters and I always thought he should've been a rider. He had a deep respect for Kitaoka and a love that was either family-like or possibly homosexual. Without Kitaoka, I think following him in death was probably what he wanted.

Kido's death was a surprise but it made sense. I initially wondered if the show would end with Ren, and I didn't expect to be right. I always figured Kido would sacrifice himself so that Ren can get his wish. The effect Kido had on everyone was great and the show couldn't have ended better. I wasn't sure if Ren was either exhausted from battle or dead when he was at Eri's bedside, but it seemed that he got his wish and everything was alright. I like to think that this is how the show really ended and I'm just going to consider the time travel ending as an alternate universe.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Time travel? There was no time travel involved. I wouldn't call it time travel but a reset instead.
Insidious

Post by Insidious »

Eh, I guess I worded it wrong. Nobody went back in time, but yeah time was reset back which was kinda lame. I did like how Kido and Ren kinda looked at each other as if they were thinking "have we met?".
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

That part is kinda sad really.

The thing that bugs me is that I think Raia had excellent opportunity to be the '3rd' Rider of the 'group'. Yet the writers chose Zolda instead. Then again, I liked him as a character so I suppose my point it moot. When all the other characters use a Final Vent, he uses his Shoot Vent. Why? Because Zolda is cool enough to have an overkill Final Vent.

I thought series progression was a little slow. You have one death early on, two around the middle and then it's Ryuki/Knight/Zolda/Ouja for most of the series. Then all the other Riders introduced bite it pretty quickly. Not to mention there are 3 of the main 13 riders not even used.

Oh well. I like cards. Especially when used in conjunction with Tokusatsu.
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

I'm actually glad Ishimori Productions & Toei deiced to make a Rider series that took the focus off the standard format of Rider vs. Kaijin & instead made it Rider vs. Rider.

Shinji & Ren were both excellent character's. Shinji was just an average guy thrust into a world that he wasn't prepared for, he tried getting the others to stop fighting and concentrate on defeating the monsters, and even after learning the truth about the Rider War & finally finding a motive to fight for he still wasn't able to kill any of the others, that shows real commitment to being a hero. Ren on the other hand certainly had the most interesting progression throughout the series going from just a guy fighting to save his girlfriend to fighting to protect others from the Mirror World.

Ryuki is an amazing series filled with alot of excellent idea's, I really enjoyed watching it. Thanks to all who worked on the series.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
Hikikomori-san
7X
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Blade/555/Ryuki
Favorite Band: NoGod
My boom: Deluhi/Crossfaith
Quote: "Bandai laughs at our pain...and drinks our tears." - Vangelus

Post by Hikikomori-san »

I finished this series last night and I have to say, my previous expectations about the show have been completely shot down.

At first, I thought that the concept of there being 13 Riders (THIRTEEN!!) was a bit silly, considering that, well, it was a bit over the top compared to the other Kamen Rider series. Progressing through the series however, I saw that there being 13 Riders was just another unique aspect of Ryuki. I enjoyed seeing each Rider fight with their interesting personalities.

Also, I liked how Ren and Shinji's relationship grew as the series progressed. They were originally rivals, fighting for each of their own philosophies. Then they became more like comrades, with a steady mutual relationship to stay alive for the time being. Then they became friends with a strong bond, so strong that at the end of the series, when everything was reset, they felt that they had met each other before.

Shinji's character development was great - he grew from reluctant warrior to a strong warrior, fighting for his own beliefs. He faced a lot of trials facing his own philosophy of not fighting, and whether his actions were the right ones or not. I'm amazed that he died though; he was the title character! (well his Mirror World Rider was) But that's what made me like Ryuki even more; it took risky measures and succeeded in most of those risks.

I did have a few gripes with the show, like how Imperer died in what, 6 episodes? That's the second shortest living Rider after Scissors! Imperer really didn't need to die like that, not that pathetically. Sano just got the good life, and he had to die there. Of course, rather than this being the show's fault, it's just my opinion with the Rider's death. It also showed the mortality of humans and how sad each death can be, so Kamen Rider Imperer's death's pretty meaningful. Toujou's death was pure irony. That's all I can say about his death.

And also, Kamen Rider Verde only being in the 13 Rider Special. Why couldn't they include him anywhere else? A potentially interesting character to watch and we only get him for 49 minutes. =(

Overall, the series was excellent and a better watch than I expected. Excellent characters with fresh personalities, fun character designs, in-depth philosophies, great fight scenes/choreography, this show was an awesome ride. So awesome, that I can't decide whether Ryuki is my 2nd or 1st favorite Kamen Rider series...

Thanks a lot TVN for subbing this series!
kokowaks
Salami Commander

Post by kokowaks »

the riders fighting for each of their ideals is what really loved this series... story wise, the show is kinda weak compared to the other series like blade especially to the flow... also this show really showed that a rider is really a human(exept for ryuga i think)... this aspect is somewhat lost in the more recent series... the whole philosophy driven fighting theme in this series is what made this more mature that some children might not even understand... the characters were also very colorful despite some lasted only briefly... i even rooted for ouja...
Hikikomori-san
7X
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Blade/555/Ryuki
Favorite Band: NoGod
My boom: Deluhi/Crossfaith
Quote: "Bandai laughs at our pain...and drinks our tears." - Vangelus

Post by Hikikomori-san »

kokowaks wrote:the riders fighting for each of their ideals is what really loved this series... story wise, the show is kinda weak compared to the other series like blade especially to the flow... also this show really showed that a rider is really a human(exept for ryuga i think)... this aspect is somewhat lost in the more recent series... the whole philosophy driven fighting theme in this series is what made this more mature that some children might not even understand... the characters were also very colorful despite some lasted only briefly... i even rooted for ouja...
Kamen Rider Ouja was my favorite Rider in the series. I really liked Takeshi Asakura's character too; he wasn't just a badass - he was a psycho, and psychos are interesting to watch. But because he was a psycho, he didn't get too much character development =/ After all, he had a one-track mind: to fight!
Shinji and Ren were well developed characters and I really liked watching them interact. If Kamen Rider Raia wasn't killed off so early in the series, I think that Miyuki Tezuka would have developed really nicely too. Kitaoka Shuuichi was a great character too. Too bad he and Reiko never had that date. :(

Return to “Kamen Rider Ryuki”