Why are we all 15?
Favorite series: Final Fantasy
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Total War: Shogun 2
Quote: "To be forgotten is worse than death." -Freya Crescent, Final Fantasy IX

RP Kamen Rider Character

Post by LeoArchon »

Not sure where to post this one, so I'm putting it in the general Entertainments forum. Mods, feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place.

Basic gist: I'm trying to design a Kamen Rider using the Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition rules. Given how free-form this system is, it's kind of a daunting task, especially given that I'm trying to go for a Heisei era Rider rather than Showa era.

The Rider in question is meant to draw on the class system shown in the original Final Fantasy: Red Mage, Black Mage, White Mage, Fighter, Thief, and Black Belt. I'm taking a leaf out of Wizard's book for this, as there's no 'base' form between the Rider's Henshin and going to one of the classes. In addition, I intend to eventually have the 'promoted' classes available as well: Red Wizard, Black Wizard, White Wizard (no Fueki jokes, please!), Knight, Ninja, and Master. Finally, I plan to get a 'super' class, one that surpasses all the classes: Warrior of Light. It just wouldn't be a true Rider without a super mode, after all!

My problem is that I'm uncertain how to spend the power points to adequately start with the six base classes. I know that arrays are likely going to be used, but I'm not sure exactly how to create them without getting so ridiculously expensive as to leave no room for skills and advantages. If anyone could offer some advice, that'd be very helpful!

Game statistics:
Power Level: 13
Power Points: 215 (20 of which are for Abilities only: GM rule)

Character Statistics thus far:
Hero Name: Kamen Rider Fantasy
Secret Identity: Date Minako
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 150 lbs

Abilities:
Strength: 0
Stamina: 0
Agility: 3
Dexterity: 3
Fighting: 5
Intellect: 7
Awareness: 2
Presence: 5
PP Spent: 50 (165/215 remaining)
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: RP Kamen Rider Character

Post by Phoenix512 »

I'm not rather familiar with the system but I think your idea is a bit too ambitious. These systems are meant to be that you do one or two things good and if you try to go beyond that, you end up that not being good at anything at all since you spread yourself too thin. I don't know what you had intended for what each base class would do and how the more advanced classes would work but right now I think you're trying to do too much in my opinion.
choudeadheat
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by choudeadheat »

I'd have to say with something like that your best bet would to make the powers and ability akin to wizard or even drive where you have your gimmick item that gives you said forms or abilities other than that there is no real way to power balance let alone type advantage
"My strength has made you cry"
MadCow
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Watanabe Natsuna
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: miraculous
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by MadCow »

Uh... I don't know if this is going to be of any help or not, because while I don't have any experience or knowledge in 3rd ed rules, but many years ago I did make a kamen rider-like character with multiple forms under 2nd edition.

I no longer have my original character sheet on hand, but if I remember the details correctly, he was built based on Alternate Form, and then applying several Alternate Power feats to the Alternate Form to have multiple forms.

Now this one I think requires GM approval, but I had each form apply a different set of trade-offs to them. So my offensive form traded 2 points of Toughness Save for Attack (thus, in a PL 10 game, allowed +12 attack and +8 toughness save for that form), then I had a different trade-off for a different form, and so on.

The tricky part is your super form. Balance-wise, this doesn't work since the concept of the super form is to be more powerful than your regular forms. RP-wise, if you're willing to compromise, is that you do not spend your XP regularly as your PL goes up in-game. After a certain PL jump, then you suddenly spend a whole bunch of points specifically for this super form, but of course that is not a really optimal choice build-wise. I think it is best you discuss with your GM for the best option for this.

Hope that helps.
KamenRiderScar
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Black
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Yes
Favorite Band: A little bit of all
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "It doesn't take the world's greatest nations to create the next global conflict, just the will of a single man." -Makarov
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by KamenRiderScar »

I'm all for the rider roleplay. But the only downside is that my Rider's a military themed rider that basically uses "Normal" weapons to fight. No magic, no high-tech weaponry, just a good old fashioned rifle.
NEO Ness
Gao
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: KR 555, and Agito
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama
Favorite Actor?: Yuuki Sato
Favorite Band: M83
Quote: "My grandmother said "Justice is myself. I am justice." " - Tendo Souji

Post by NEO Ness »

Hey!

I'm a common GM for many games, I specialize in Palladium. M&M is one of my new ones that I'm not 100% with yet, but I'm willing to do some research to help you. I'd also be willing to help get the game set up if you want to GM it.

I've run Sentai/Tokusatsu games before. I personally used a system called BESM v3, but M&M I hear works just as well.

I'll PM you my Skype name and we can work on this if you're interested.
iRider
Adventure
Favorite series: 仮面ライダー電王
2nd Favorite Series: 仮面ライダーカブ
Dreamy: 蒲生 麻由 Gamō Mayu
Favorite Actor?: 松田 賢二 Matsuda Kenji
Favorite Band: KISS
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Buying S.H. Figuarts
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by iRider »

I wish that I could help you with your M&M class creation, playing a Kamen Rider would be so dope! Unfortunately it has been so long since I played it that I would not know how to create a Rider class for that game. If we were talking AD&D 2e or D&D3.5/Pathfinder --- the best way to create a Rider is by using an item (specifically a belt). The item would grant the character specific stat. bonuses, modifiers towards their saves, and even special abilities & feats once the belt is activated (DM's choice on how, be it simple "Henshin" or another item (gimmick) used to activate the belt). I hope this helps or at least gives you some ideas as to what you can do with the M&M rules.

-iRider
LeoArchon
Why are we all 15?
Why are we all 15?
Favorite series: Final Fantasy
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Total War: Shogun 2
Quote: "To be forgotten is worse than death." -Freya Crescent, Final Fantasy IX

Post by LeoArchon »

Well, it took some time, but I think I've finally got a good baseline version of my Kamen Rider character. For those interested, I'll post this link: http://jmp.sh/GOanMvJ. That will let anyone who wants to take a look at her do so on the actual character sheet.

On another note, would any artists here care to try their hand at making some artwork for her? I've only got a general idea for how she would look in Red Mage form.

Return to “Entertainments”