What's your favorite movie?

All them talking pictures
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

What's your favorite movie?

Post by Silentwolfdog »

I am curious for those toku fans as of what is your favorite movie? And (if you want to) why?

Also, separate it from those of American (Hollywood) movies and foreign movies.

------------------

I am little embarrassed to say this, but my favorite movie is “The Lion King.” Ever since I first saw it in theatre, it remains my all time favorite movie. I have seen it so many times that I can remember a lot of lines from that movie. ^^; (This is one question I am always somewhere embarrassed to answer. ;P )

“Spider-Man” is probably my second favorite.

There are a lot of other movies that I am fond of as well such as, “Lord of the Ring”, “Star Wars”, etc. Basically, any sci-fi/fantasy movies that is both very well written and directed. Not just action packed, but it got to have cool or memorable lines as well.

As for foreign movies, hmm I don’t think I have one just yet. But hey, I am looking. ;)

------

Hope this wasn't a repeated topic and if it was, I apologize.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: What's your favorite movie?

Post by takenoko »

My favorite western film is Memento. I thought the film's structure as well as the character's disability was really interesting. Plus everyone likes a good mystery. Everyone go watch it if you haven't already

For Japanese movies, I don't know. I watch a lot of Japanese shows that are amusing, but to be considered my favorite I'd like to think that it works on more levels than just that. This isn't really a movie, but maybe the Garo OV's? It had a lot of action, but there was also that story about family and the ending just makes you feel really damn good at the end.

My favorite Chinese movie is hands down Swordsman. It was both really funny and kind of cool, plus that song is just so catchy.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>I am little embarrassed to say this, but my favorite movie is “The Lion King.” Ever since I first saw it in theatre, it remains my all time favorite movie. I have seen it so many times that I can remember a lot of lines from that movie. ^^; (This is one question I am always somewhere embarrassed to answer. ;P )

Really? I saw it in the theaters too. I enjoyed it, but don't really see why it'd be someone's favorite. Maybe explain what it is about it that makes it your favorite? Of course, sometimes one just really enjoys something, and that's all the explanation that there is.

>There are a lot of other movies that I am fond of as well such as, “Lord of the Ring”, “Star Wars”, etc. Basically, any sci-fi/fantasy movies that is both very well written and directed. Not just action packed, but it got to have cool or memorable lines as well.

I liked those too. Maybe it's because it's been recently active on my mind, but I also enjoyed the Indiana Jones trilogy. I think people in general enjoy series of movies where they can see characters that they like reappear.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Favorite American Movie: Guyver: Dark Hero
Japanese: That one's tough. Probably somewhere between Faiz Paradise Lost and Princess Blade and anything Ryuhei Kitamura.

I'll have to explain later though.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Bauffie
Save the life
Dreamy: Nakatsu Shuichi
Favorite Actor?: Matsuyama Kenichi
Favorite Band: Gazette
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Hayami's trendy hat

Post by Bauffie »

takenoko wrote:My favorite western film is Memento. I thought the film's structure as well as the character's disability was really interesting. Plus everyone likes a good mystery. Everyone go watch it if you haven't already
Is this the story told backwards about a guy who has amnesia and has to avenge his family or something?

As for me, it has to be Pirates of the Caribbean. There isn't anything that I do not like about Captain Jack Sparrow (maybe except for kissing Elizabeth... ... ... WTF MAN?! This is Jack Sparrow! Elizabeth is my only complaint out of the 3 movies.) I can't resist a guy who is so fun and extravagant, but becomes serious when needed. He's unpredictable. <3 (I started watching Gintama because of Sho-saka and hell, I fell in love with Gintoki. XD wee) The adventures are just too entertaining. I remember laughing so hard when Jack Sparrow fell from a cliff with a bunch of fruits and veggies at the beginning of the 2nd movie. Hell, it was awesome. <3

After much thinking, I finally decided that my favorite Japanese movie has to be Vampire Hunter D / Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. It's been so long since I last watched the two movies, so I don't remember much about it. o___O All I remember is being very impressed by the mystery, action sequences and... by D, the smexy protagonist. I think a third movie will come out in a... distant future. <3
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Bauffie wrote:Is this the story told backwards about a guy who has amnesia and has to avenge his family or something?
Yeah pretty much. I like the fact that it's more fun to watch the second time around, it's like a game to see how it all fits together
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

takenoko wrote:>I am little embarrassed to say this, but my favorite movie is “The Lion King.” Ever since I first saw it in theatre, it remains my all time favorite movie. I have seen it so many times that I can remember a lot of lines from that movie. ^^; (This is one question I am always somewhere embarrassed to answer. ;P )

Really? I saw it in the theaters too. I enjoyed it, but don't really see why it'd be someone's favorite. Maybe explain what it is about it that makes it your favorite? Of course, sometimes one just really enjoys something, and that's all the explanation that there is.
Hmm, I really don't know why. Maybe…because well generally, I really like story about a prince trying to become a good king by going on a journey. I am a bit sucker for royalty stories, plus that I like animals is bonus for sure. Also, when I first saw it in theatre, it wasn't captioned as you know most movie theatre doesn't offer captioning to deaf audience. Thus, a lot of scenes speak for itself even though I may not have understood a lot due to my young age and lack of captioning. Watching a lion falling to his death to save another pretty much hit my soft spot, since it's drawn in a dramatic way.
Also, I admired how the story was drawn. It's a role model to how I want thing/scene to be drawn. That was before I discovered "anime" which is not for another decade. Both are what I was looking for when I want to draw something. I like scenes that express the atmosphere and dramatic scenes. I can't explain this very well in English, sorry.
After it was released on VHS I realized that a lot of lines are very poetic. I feel like I am "listening" to music that whole time in my head. Way it was written is just pretty, even though it's simple. It's hard to explain.
Main character suffers a lot and made many mistakes and tries to “forget” and yet in end he found his place. Everyone suffers some hardship and made mistakes, but who we want to be, is still up to us.
This is one of my favorite themes in many novels or movies. That’s why some of my many favorite characters (usually in Asian drama, toku, or anime) are usually evil or is complicated at first and became good guy or someone who found his/her place at the end.
Sort of like Faiz or Chalice of Kamen Rider series. At least that’s how I viewed them to be.
Eh, it sounds a bit emo but…oh well.

Kinda lame, huh? I made something so simple, to be so complicated.

No matter what I do, I can't change that TLK took the spot in my heart. (Plus, that plushies of TLK is also so cute! I have quite a few TLK plushies. ^^;)

Maybe it is as you said, I enjoyed it so much. It’s fun to watch.

Hope you can understand what I am saying? Wasn’t sure if my English is clear enough.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Nah, that makes sense. I was more curious about your reasons more than anything else
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Sorry but I have a bit of a list for both, I don't really have 1 favorite movie, even if divided by American and Foreign films. So, this could take a while. Just to clear this up, what I'm going to count as favorites is a film I wouldn't skip even one part of and would be willing to watch at anytime.

American Films:
Maltese Falcon
Casablanca
Serenity
Blade Runner
Emperor's New Groove
Thank You For Smoking
Rear Window
Blazing Saddles
Airplane
Pirates of the Caribbean 3
Double Indemnity
Big Trouble in Little China
The Matrix
Duck Soup
Moulin Rouge
Ocean's Eleven (The Remake)
Road to El Dorado
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
V for Vendetta
Good Night and Good Luck
The Philadelphia Story
Rocky Horror Picture Show
MST3K: The Movie
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Foreign Films:
Shaun of the Dead (British)
Hot Fuzz (British)
Seven Samurai (Japanese)
Read or Die OVA (Anime)
Hate (French)
Sanguro (Japanese)
Kamakazi Girls (Japanese)
Nosferatu (Silent German)
Seventh Seal (Swedish)
8 1/2 (Italian)
Fanny and Alexander (Swedish)

I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them at the moment. Anyways, if you want to know why on any of these movies, feel free to ask.
Last edited by Kogashi on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Algo Fonix
Crossing a Millennium
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Dreamy: Give me a minute
Favorite Band: Haken
Quote: You should be, 'cause I'm havin the time of my liiiiiife right now!

Post by Algo Fonix »

American:
Pulp Fiction (It's just a really great movie)
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (I don't like Westerns, but this one was so well done)
Gummo (seriously this movie scares me, but it's so good that that fact doesn't matter)
Star Wars Episodes IV-VI (explanation needed?)

Foreign:
Dunno yet, I need to see more before forming a concrete opinion.

I still haven't seen what I think is the 'perfect' movie... of course I may never see something that I consider 'perfect' though. :/
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I forgot Kamen Rider the First. I -loved- the story with Snake and Cobra (until they died... at that point I cried like a baby).

Kamen Rider Faiz Paradise Lost. Read my posts.

Princess Blade: My first Japanese movie (it was a Christmas gift from some friends) and what a great one it is. The action is great, and I love Yumiko Shaku.

Sky High (A Ryuhei Kitamura film): One of the most amazing movies I've watched. It's a romantic tragedy with lots of fighting. Also, I cried when the bride died, and again when she and her almost husband had to bid their final farewells to eachother.

Versus (Another Ryuhei Kitamura film): The movie that probably stopped me from doing something I'd regret. I was having one of the most horrible days in my life when I watched this, and amazingly enough this movie turned it around. Lot's of fighting, guns, blood, action, and violence. It satisfied my rage to where I was able to go to bed and sleep soundly after I got finished. Normally that'd be a bad thing to say about a movie, but the day I was having was so bad I wouldn't have slept if I hadn't of gotten it outta my system. So if you ever find yourself so angry that you wish evil and violence on someone, try watching this to see if it can satisfy your need to do something bad.

Down to Hell (Ryuhei Kitamura): This is the movie that inspired Versus. It explains why there are so many bodies coming out of the ground during Versus. Also lots of fighting, blood, and violence.

Alive (Ryuhei Kitamura): Read the posts in this thread.

And for my American choice: Guyver: Dark Hero
AmienZero
NagoSan
Favorite Actor?: Sean Connery
Favorite Band: Instrumental Music
Quote: SILENCE! I KEEL YOU!

Post by AmienZero »

my current favorite movie is Pirates of the Carribean and CJ7.
"Untouchable Spirit! Rin-Jyu T-Rex-ken!"

SILENCE! I KEEL YOU! *evil stare*
shadowneko003
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Abaranger
Favorite Band: Cascada
Quote: Her boyfriend's a pilot

Post by shadowneko003 »

American:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I, II, III live action: I <3 the turtles. TMNT was ok, but not as good as the 90s live action.
Pirates of the Caribbean I, II, III
The Emperor's New Groove: Boo Yeah! XD
Spider-Man
Disney's Cars

Foreign:
Initial D (Chinese)
Twins Effect (Chinese) : Brother, Brother's partner, and Sister are vampire slayers. Now add the fact that the sister got a wimpy vampire prince boyfriend = funny. =D
My Sassy Girl (Korean)
Shaolin Soccer: Hilarious.
Kamen Rider the First (Japanese)
A World Without Thieves (Chinese): 2 thieves protect this one innocent guy from being robbed on a train. <3
Howl's Moving Castle (Japanese): I love the book and the movie.
Pocket Monsters: Revelation Lugia (Japanese): My favorite Pocket Monsters Movie of all time!

That's about it for me that I can call off of the top of my head. Basically, if I really really like the movie, I buy it if it's available in stores.
LJ Blogger
Do not PM me about DDL links. Please report them here in the correct forum

YES, we know our DDL links are dead! READ THIS.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Howl's Moving Castle (Japanese): I love the book and the movie.

Indeed. Although the book is so great, it makes you wonder why they made the changes that they did to the movie.

All this mention of Star Wars reminds me of a poll I saw today for which one people had as their favorite. Of course mine and many others is Empire Strikes Back, so this comment from George Lucas has always amused:
http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/02/11/ger ... ars-movie/
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

shadowneko003 wrote:
Twins Effect (Chinese) : Brother, Brother's partner, and Sister are vampire slayers. Now add the fact that the sister got a wimpy vampire prince boyfriend = funny. =D

I forgot about this one. Helen's relationship with the vampire prince was so cute. Gypsy's rivalry with Helen made for great comedy (and action). That scene on the roof was priceless.

Return to “Movies”