2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Sengoku Ryouma
Favorite Actor?: Jinnai Sho
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Persona 4
Quote: Ware wa kage, shinnaru ware.

Pacific Rim, anybody?

Post by butyoumight »

Anyone else seen Pacific Rim? And if so, thoughts?

Personally I loved it. Would have liked to see more from some of the characters, but all told I'm definitely a fan.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Pacific Rim, anybody?

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I've seen it. Was really good. The whole idea of the minds being linked up to pilot the mecha was interesting.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

I thought it was really good. And all throughout the film I kept thinking of stuff they could do in sequels or differently in this movie.
I liked Kikuchi's parts in the movie. I read that some people thought her performance was kinda awkward(possibly her English. Which I thought was okay. I liked the accent.)and the Japanese people don't really like her in general. I was honestly looking forward to a lot of her scenes.

They told enough of her backstory to understand the film, but I personally would have liked more scene of her growing up with Idris Elba's characters, it would have made the relationship with them a bit more meaningful. I think so anyway.

The Jeagers were cool. I hope we get a sequel. Love them giant robo fights.
Miyagishin
Humongous
Favorite series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Suit Actors!
Quote: To overcome the intelligent by folly is contrary to the natural order of things; to overcome the foolish by intelligence is in accord with the natural order. To overcome the intelligent by intelligence, however, is a matter of opportunity.
--Zhuge Liang

Post by Miyagishin »

Pacific Rim was great. Felt original and fresh. All the Jaegers / Kaiju looked awesome and felt like they had personality. This is my new showcase movie, to have running on the TV all the time.

I too am hoping for a sequel, or even a spin off. I would love to watch a movie about each of the jaegers and their battles. Del Toro never disappoints.
Spoiler
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Just watched it. While I liked it a lot, I was disappointed that Mako didn't really feel like an active participant once they were in the actual battle. It was mostly the guy yelling out what to do. She only has 2-3 lines and had the one cool sword scene.

I know they're neural linked and don't need to speak to communicate, but that doesn't make for an interesting display for the audience. Why have two pilots if you don't get to see the moment to moment instances of their communication and forming strategies when in battle? So Mako has this memory trauma that made the test fail, maybe it would have been good to show her overcoming that during their actual first battle? It felt like they brought that up then dropped it

I definitely feel like this could have been explored more and maybe the ending could have been better (So I don't get it, he gives her his oxygen? So why does she pass out and he keep going if he has no oxygen? Is he just holding his breath the whole time?)

For some reason I didn't really feel like there was much difference between Category 3 and 5's. It would have been nice if the last kaiju had been 2-3 times the size of the mecha. One more thing that I wish was there was more of a distinct difference between the kaiju. Besides color, I had trouble distinguishing between them. So that made the last fight kind of confusing for me.

Return to “Movies”