All them talking pictures
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Wonder Woman - Rainfall Films

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Why isn't there a full-length film like this?!

Wonder Woman
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
[kuronogantzryu]
Everything is drama!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: Mirei Kiritani
Favorite Actor?: Tatsuya Fujiwara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Re: Wonder Woman - Rainfall Films

Post by [kuronogantzryu] »

Cool and all but I can't really see the higher ups at WB grasping this idea. It's already hard enough to get films with women in the leading role so I think it's gonna be a while before an actual WW film is made. If anything, it'll probably be some sort of chick flick movie or WW is gonna be portrayed as more of a sexual figure than the strong woman she is.
Last edited by [kuronogantzryu] on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Hate to say this but Marvel is the one that's owned by Disney not DC which Wonder Woman is from.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

WB is the one that owns DC or the license(...i think...it is hard to follow at times...)
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.

Post by Saejima Kouga »

She is owned by DC who is owned by WB.
CrazyBlaze
Infinity
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: TOKU!
Quote: Finished: Sentai: Dairanger, Kakuranger, Abaranger, Dekaranger. Magiranger, Bokuenger, Go-onger, Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters, Kyrouranger

Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Agito, Faiz, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim

Watching: Gekiranger, ToQer, Drive

Post by CrazyBlaze »

Phoenix512 wrote:Hate to say this but Marvel is the one that's owned by Disney not DC which Wonder Woman is from.
Unfortunately you are incorrect. Wonder Woman is owned by DC not Marvel. She is often considered part of the DC's Big Three triumvirate alongside Batman and Superman.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Reread what I said. I never said Wonder Woman was from Marvel. I was correcting the guy who thought DC was owned by Disney. If I said Wonder Woman was from Marvel, I would jump off a cliff for making a stupid mistake like that.
StagBeetle
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Agito
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider BLACK
Dreamy: Kazashiro Miu
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: everything...

Post by StagBeetle »

Saejima Kouga wrote:Why isn't there a full-length film like this?!
Well, if it's going to be made by these people, it'll suck. I got bored halfway through.
Slo-mos are cool and all but doing it for the whole video is just lazy.
D_B
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Please delete this account.
2nd Favorite Series: Please delete this account.
Dreamy: Please delete this account.
Favorite Actor?: Please delete this account.
Favorite Band: Please delete this account.
My boom: Please delete this account.
Quote: Please delete this account.

Post by D_B »

StagBeetle wrote:
Saejima Kouga wrote:Why isn't there a full-length film like this?!
Well, if it's going to be made by these people, it'll suck.
Agreed.

I watched this and thought the editing was amazing, the CGI was mind blowing (especially considering how bad some of the SyFy channel's "professionally created" garbage "content" looks compared to this little clip)... but really did not enjoy anything else. I thought the actress playing Wonder Woman was just... weak... and the costume was some kind of fanfic-inspired "re-imagining" that totally put me (as a 35+ year Wonder Woman fan, with nearly ALL of her DC published adventures since 1961 and a random array of those from before) off.

My problem with most of the Hollywood "comic book inspired" films stems from the movie makers taking all sorts of liberties with the characters, costumes and backstory... and this group seems to have done the exact same thing. If they are going to butcher the story, alter the characters and "re-imagine" the whole thing into something the original wasn't... how is it "better than Hollywood's Full Length Films"?
I can't call something "better" when it seems to be "the exact same thing"

Technically, this was an AWESOME clip, really showing how powerful CGI from small indie groups has become! Other than that... yeah... meh.
Please delete this account.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Ah purists. There's no satisfaction in that way.

I've learned to embrace adaptations because they are new ideas or ways of telling and showing a story. If it were the same as a comic, previous tv series, previous movie, etc then there would be no point in a new movie, as you could just refer back to whatever previous media there was.

I found the idea to be epic, and would definitely go to the theater and watch it. It was beautiful and exciting and had an interesting idea behind it.
D_B
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by D_B »

Ah, people that make excuses to enjoy crappy "entertainment" =p
Saejima Kouga wrote:
I've learned to embrace adaptations because they are new ideas or ways of telling and showing a story. If it were the same as a comic, previous tv series, previous movie, etc then there would be no point in a new movie, as you could just refer back to whatever previous media there was.
Assuming I am a "purist" that hates everything except the original sure seems like an easy way to discredit my opinion in a single shot...except I really LOVE nearly all of the DC Animated Universe stuff. Why? Because while they do adapt existing stories while adding new ideas, concepts and sometimes even characters (Harley Quinn was created for the Batman Animated Series and later canonized, for example), they do it *WITHOUT* butchering the story, altering the characters in absurd/bizarre ways and "re-imagining" the whole thing into something the original wasn't.

The DCAU proves you can do a high quality "new" and "fresh" take on classic characters like Wonder Woman while still respecting the original (and fans of the original).

Feel free to call me names like "purist" if it makes you feel better, but the name hardly fits. I will be the first to applaud a *GOOD* adaptation of something I already love.

A really good Wonder Woman live-action film *SHOULD* take some chances, and should make an attempt to be "fresh and new". However, if the characters and backstory are not as close to the original as possible, why bother calling it Wonder Woman in the first place? The DCAU proves you really CAN do new stuff while respecting the classic characters, so why do so many people give Hollywood a free pass to churn out rubbish?
And why bother trying to label/call someone with a differing opinion names in an effort to invalidate their opinion?
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Reading your first post, what other thought should I have? And don't take it as an insult. It's a statement that means someone prefers tellings in original form, which is what your initial message suggested.

In the same token, you're calling someone's work crappy, when I'm sure a lot of time and effort was put into it. And I'm sure that the actors and actresses also appreciate that sort of comment.

This clip took different ideas from different incarnations and came up with a short and enjoyable piece. If you don't like it, that's fine. That's your opinion. My opinion is that it's entertaining and nicely done.
StagBeetle
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Agito
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider BLACK
Dreamy: Kazashiro Miu
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: everything...

Post by StagBeetle »

I'm not really a 'purist' but do tend to lean towards it when it comes to adaptations. I don't mind changes as long as the source material is respected and did not deviate too much. But the problem with most adaptations, re-imagining or whatever you want to call it, is that the final product is totally different from the source, they might as well just create a new thing instead of adapting it in the first place.

Although I can't tell if they did justice to Wonder Woman from a 2min clip, but just from the looks, it's okay. It's a matter of preference, I guess. But still, if I were a film producer and they pitch their idea of a Wonder Woman film using this clip, I'll reject it without a second thought. I dread the thought of watching an entire movie in slo-mo... :lol:
D_B
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by D_B »

Saejima Kouga wrote:Reading your first post, what other thought should I have?
Perhaps that making an arbitrary and sweeping assumption about my preferences based on limited information is less than the best possible way to proceed?
Saejima Kouga wrote:It's a statement that means someone prefers tellings in original form, which is what your initial message suggested.

Your definition is not, in fact, accurate. Words already have meanings, and you don't get to change those meanings to try to make yourself look less presumptive..
"Purist: a person who adheres strictly and often excessively to a tradition"
That hardly describes me, or my tastes. As I said, I am very willing to enjoy something that is good... however, I do not make the foolish assumption that new always means better (because it often is quite the reverse, but NOT always).
Saejima Kouga wrote:In the same token, you're calling someone's work crappy, when I'm sure a lot of time and effort was put into it.

If a product is inferior quality, does the amount of effort put into the creation make it any more or less desirable?
Does it matter how many YEARS someone truly inept worked on building an ugly car that gets 2 miles to the gallon, has a top speed of 12 miles an hour and breaks down 3 times a week? Of course not. A terrible concept is terrible, no matter how much effort is put into it.
Would it matter if someone truly gifted put very little actual effort into something that was afterward heralded as "the greatest thing since sliced bread"? Of course not. Raw effort is simply not a fair way to measure anything, and it never should be in the first place.
Besides, there are a wide variety of ways effort can be put into something, but not all of them add up to something worthwhile...

Also, as a side note, I *DID NOT* refer to this Wonder Woman clip as "crappy". I even said some very positive things about it. When I used the word "crappy", it was in direct response to being (incorrectly) labeled a "purist"... because it is very typical of someone trying to defend a crappy adaptation to call people with opposing viewpoints "purists" (and the first thing you did, too).
Saejima Kouga wrote:If you don't like it, that's fine. That's your opinion. My opinion is that it's entertaining and nicely done.
Wonderful. Then why did you take time to try to label my opinion as "purist", and then go on to rail against it. We disagree. Fine. Move on.

Return to “Movies”