Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Frozen

Post by takenoko »

So I watched Frozen today. I thought it was pretty good. A lot of fun characters, good moments, and songs.

Only real nitpick that I have is that Olaf entirely doesn't need to exist. I definitely get the "this scene is too serious/dark for kids, let's have Jar Jar Binks lighten it up", but I felt like it ruined a lot of the serious moments of the movie to have him there.

Amazingly, I wasn't spoiled about the twist with Hans. I mean, I guess I should have known since those side burns are pretty crazy.

I felt like Elsa was a bit underdeveloped as a character and was more of a plot device. It doesn't really seem like she fixes any of her own problems or grows that much over the course of the movie. And while Let it Go was fine in the movie, I'm kind of sick of seeing it everywhere else in media.

Speaking of which, it's nice to finally get some of the memes that I've seen since last summer.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Re: Frozen

Post by Revorse »

Frozen was pretty cool. I only like two songs. "Let it Go" and "For the first time in forever" The other songs really didn't matter.

I don't know if I'd say Olaf didn't need to exist. That scene about some people worth melting(dying) for is kinda important for Anna decision in the end.

The whole Hans thing definitely threw me for a loop. I mean I don't even think there were signs of him being like that.

The trolls were stupid. And ugly. And it kinda sucks Elsa wasn't nearly as important as I thought she would be. I kinda figured the movie would be split between Anna's group searching for Elsa and Elsa doing something.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I dunno, I really feel like all the scenes with Olaf could be removed and the movie would have been better for it. Not that he didn't have a few funny moments, but I didn't need him goofing off every time the scene turned dire.

The Hans card was played pretty well. I'm glad they had the restraint to not reveal it till the point that they did, and with such a good line too.

Yeah, I didn't like the trolls either now that you mention it. (Their song was one of the ones that I felt should have been cut).

I've heard criticisms that the two sisters have the same face, but I didn't really feel like that was the case. Sure, they should look similar since they're sisters, but Anna is more roundish and tended to be more goofy and smily. Elsa's felt more sharp and maybe cynical. I was really impressed by the wide array of expressions they were able to create with those faces.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

Yeah it was pretty good. I was thinking that had to sting. Something along the lines of no one out there loving her. It felt truly malicious.
I was surprised when you mentioned the criticism, I had never heard of any like that. And it's like you said sure, they're sisters so there is some similarities. And looking back at it it doesn't seem like one is just a new set of hair on the same model.

Looking at Olaf again he's probably only there to display the studios technical prowess(and sell plushies). He's like fresh powdered snow. And that glitter he had seems like it'd be a hard thing to animate. Especially considering how natural it looks.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I actually saw the criticism on tumblr today, and I think my friend on the chat said something similar. He didn't like the movie very much, but maybe he was looking for something to complain about since everyone else seems to like it.

Return to “Movies”