Power Rangers - 2017 Film

All them talking pictures
Greenstalker
Mega

Re: Power Rangers - 2017 Film

Post by Greenstalker »

ShepardRahl wrote:
Greenstalker wrote:
they were selling lots of heman toys with shield and axe back in the days though reason was different :P
lol Yeah. I just wasn't expecting such a radical change.
Lets talk about radical changes around toys than and there is no better example than Heman and masters of universe toy line. The company that was going to shoot conan the barbarian was in contact with a toy company and there was going to be some release of toys to boost the sales of conan and the movie. The models were created and were ready to mold but when movie was released the toy company realized it was not a movie for kids (from this point on it is highly assumptions) fearing the toys won't sell much becuase it is not a kid movie the toy company quickly contacted with a development team to make a kids version of conan as comics. The story was resolving around heroic barbarian heman who was fighting against evil ruler sorcerer Skeletor (a man with a skull as head does it sound familiar to any conan fan? How about a society of snakesman that worships a snakelike god?) With changing colors and adding some accessories (the cross band of Skeletor and Heman for example) molded in other models the first line of toys released along with comic book. Ofcourse there were lots of law issues but toy company got cleared from them with the variety of toys presented in the story and it is being vastly different than Conan's. You can guess the rest I assume.

There are more stories like these around transformers, G.I.Joe etc etc I guess 80's were really hectic years for toy business.

For those who don2t beleive these assumptions here are two pics oe for heman and other for conan action figures at 80's loot at hair and other details :P
Spoiler
ImageImage
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

Saw this last night, and LOVED it. Not flawless by any stretch of the imagination, but it had heart and knew where it was coming from. A lot of cute nods to the original while not remaining beholden to it. I plan to see it again next weekend with a different batch of friends.

~maybe super light spoilers following~

The suits themselves I could give or take, but they do indeed look much better in motion. My only real complaint remains the boobarmor, but I can soooort of handwave it by saying the armor is essentially skin-tight. The zords are Bay-esque Transformers in aesthetic, but also look pretty sweet in motion. I wish we had a better shot of them at standstill to really take things in (also a complaint I had with Transformers), but maybe future films will give me that.
I liked Alpha 5. A lot. The render released of him beforehand did him no justice similar to the suits, but give him motion and his sassy-yet-campy attitude, and he's just right. Zordon was similarly great; he's not the Benevolent Good head in a jar that MMPR offered and I really appreciated that. I also like them going with certain fandom headcanons that Zordon was the previous Red Ranger.
The last 30 minutes were backloaded with in-suit and zord combat, which was a tiny bit of a whiplash from the down to earth teenage coming of age story, but I guess it was sort of a necessary evil. It didn't bother me overmuch but I have read reviews that were annoyed.

The post-credits sequel bait was legit and I'm excited for more, assuming their profit margins are kind to them.

A complaint that probably only I have: whyyy so many graphic car crash scenes?? I have pretty intense car PTSD from a horrible car accident I was in several years ago, and was caught off guard by the violent camera work used in this film. Had to quickly run through my panic attack breathing so I wouldn't miss anything. Next time I know to just straight up close my eyes and cover my ears. :/
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

i plan to watch it on next weekend.
i read some spoilers already & try to keep it as minimal as possible thou.

but yes, critics, rotten tomatoes & etc kinda give it a bad rating (only 47% on rotten tomatoes i guess). me myself is a movie fans which mostly i agree with rotten tomatoes point. however it's not always correct i think.
especially for superhero and anime related stuff. I do think & hope it would be the same case for Power Rangers 2017.

based on what i've read somewhere the movie are heavy with character background and its not really a kids happy happy friendly movie. which make some fans confused bcoz they only wanna watch action acton action.
but i think that's good coz if it only focus on action, it would just a one time movie & soon everybody will forget about it, no mater how good the action.

as we, mostly adult fans keep watching alll the shows in this website, i'm sure we need a good story in a series to keep us watching it on weekly basis. same with movie i always beieve that it must have a solid story to make the audience keep being hooked & want it more. action helps, but shouldnt be the main focus, espeically if they really wana make 7 sequel movie of it
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Luka Milfy

Post by Hoshinger »

It wasn't a bad movie, but it could've been a lot better. I was looking forward to the cameos and smaller roles played by former ranger stars, but all I saw were the two fuckers who messed up the series. I won't say who they are but one of them caused money problems for other rangers and by coming back to ASSert dominance.

When we got to see the Megazord fight I was disappointed because of it presence. Both in the trailers and in the movie both the Megazord and Goldar were too small and they moved really slow. One of the things I like most about even the modern Sentai is the people in the suits duking it out and moving quickly. Too me the fight sequence looked like an old clay animation fight. Another problem with the Megazord is that we don't get to see it combine like in the series. I at least expected a veil of light to show the forming.

Brian Cranston was a good Zordon because he didn't sound like some kind of deity that is fed up with helping Earth. The effect used to make the talking face reminded me of the table from the first X-men movie.

Elizabeth Banks looked hot once she was restored. I'm going to say it "Magic wand make my monster grow!" While's not the traditional Rita or Bandora, I liked that she was a ranger gone bad. :D
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Hoshinger »

mholden020 wrote:I saw this during one of the first showings around here this evening and absolutely loved it. While it was very hard to hear any of the lines with the cheesy terms in it ("Morphing Grid", for instance) without giggling to myself a little bit, the story they laid out was great. I truly can't comment on the plot itself without spoiling stuff, but I think they did a great job at taking something that was made on a relatively small budget for kids and turned it into a big-budget production that was aimed more for an older crowd.

What I worry about are the critics who could wind up preventing this movie from getting a solid footing. Most of the reviews sound like they went into the movie expecting to hate it and never changed their minds. I went to the theater with four people: Two of us have been fans since we were kids, so we basically ran to our seats at full sprint. The other two both went into the theater telling us how awful it was going to be because they've been reading reviews all week. When we left, all four of us were talking about how much we enjoyed it, even the two who complained for almost an hour.

TL:DR
It's not the show. The framework from the TV show is there, but it doesn't stick completely to that story at all. In fact, it gives backstory to a few things the show never explained, and it did so in a quick and effective manner. Anything else said about it would be spoiler territory, though.

Anyone else seen it yet, planning on seeing it?
Saw it yesterday and thought it was alright. I wanted to see more fights and not very tall giants that barely moved.
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Hoshinger »

VerusMaya II wrote:Saw this last night, and LOVED it. Not flawless by any stretch of the imagination, but it had heart and knew where it was coming from. A lot of cute nods to the original while not remaining beholden to it. I plan to see it again next weekend with a different batch of friends.

~maybe super light spoilers following~

The suits themselves I could give or take, but they do indeed look much better in motion. My only real complaint remains the boobarmor, but I can soooort of handwave it by saying the armor is essentially skin-tight. The zords are Bay-esque Transformers in aesthetic, but also look pretty sweet in motion. I wish we had a better shot of them at standstill to really take things in (also a complaint I had with Transformers), but maybe future films will give me that.
I liked Alpha 5. A lot. The render released of him beforehand did him no justice similar to the suits, but give him motion and his sassy-yet-campy attitude, and he's just right. Zordon was similarly great; he's not the Benevolent Good head in a jar that MMPR offered and I really appreciated that. I also like them going with certain fandom headcanons that Zordon was the previous Red Ranger.
The last 30 minutes were backloaded with in-suit and zord combat, which was a tiny bit of a whiplash from the down to earth teenage coming of age story, but I guess it was sort of a necessary evil. It didn't bother me overmuch but I have read reviews that were annoyed.

The post-credits sequel bait was legit and I'm excited for more, assuming their profit margins are kind to them.

A complaint that probably only I have: whyyy so many graphic car crash scenes?? I have pretty intense car PTSD from a horrible car accident I was in several years ago, and was caught off guard by the violent camera work used in this film. Had to quickly run through my panic attack breathing so I wouldn't miss anything. Next time I know to just straight up close my eyes and cover my ears. :/
What did you think of the Tommy and Kimberly cameos? I thought other's should've been there because I hated how much Tommy ruined his Sentai counterparts. I really hate how we lost Jason, Zack and Trini because Tommy came back and stole the spotlight.
Klanoyt
Mega
Favorite series: Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: All Kamen Riders
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Klanoyt »

Giving it 7 out of 10 on my personal scale...

Saw the movie 2 days ago and yes I can't stop talking about it with friends at work bugging them to watch it. Specially on the scene where all the zords line up and the nostalgic "Go Go Power Rangers!" theme starts playing and you notice something's kinda off... LOL. The sneaky Tommy and Kimberly at the end of the movie. Er... anybody wanna go grab some Krispy Kreme? :mrgreen:

-3 points because I was hoping to get my son to watch it with me once I go for Round #2. But... 5 year old kids won't enjoy it and end up with tons of questions. How did I know? Near my seat was this awesome dad who brought his son estimating that the kid is around the same age as mine ended up bugging his dad with questions on almost every scene until the dad decided to just let his kid run around the movie house LMAO.

Go go, POWER RANGERS!
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I just went because my parents were out and I had a bit of cabin fever, I wasn't expecting much. This film was pretty self-aware of how cheesy the whole concept is and even dropped a few inside jokes.

Spoiler
When Rita was being an edge lord and stealing teeth for the gold, I literally shouted, "Geez lady, just rob a jewelry store!". Later on, she actually did, dunno why she didn't start there. :lol:

I kind of feel like Billy stole the show, and not in a good way. His character was hilarious, but it was kind of like Mikey in the first couple seasons of the current TMNT show, they just overplayed it. I would have liked to have learned a bit more about the others. Oddly, for all of the focus on Billy, there was something that I thought they didn't really explain adequately about him:
Spoiler
why was he poking around in the mines in the first place? His dad was a miner and they used to explore them together, I get it, but he made it sound like his dad was looking for something in particular. Did he somehow know that something was buried beneath the mine, and Billy was carrying on his work?

Spoiler
I liked that they explained why the zords are dinosaurs. It made perfect sense for Zyuranger, but with MMPR, it kind of doesn't fit with the rest of the theming. In the first episode, it was like "Hi kids, I'm Zordon. I'm an alien and I have these giant robot versions of long-extinct creatures from your planet's past". The explanation itself is cool too, it would make sense to model them after the host planet's dominant species. I also like that the yellow and black zords weren't exactly a smilodon and a mastadon, since that wouldn't make sense with their explanation.

Spoiler
They called them coins, huh? I don't have a problem with them changing the look of the "coins", but they aren't exactly coins anymore, are they? They looked more like stained glass cookies (those Christmas cookies with the melted candy in the middle) than coins. I would have either called them something else, not refer to them by any specific term, or at least have someone say "why are you calling them coins?"

Spoiler
"Sorry, Bumblebee!" I just laughed when I saw the Camaro being crushed and was thinking something along those lines, and they went for it. The comparisons between this and the TF films were inevitable, so they just lampshaded it.... no, they lit it up in neon! Brilliant! :lol:

Spoiler
The Megazord battle... oh man, the Megazord battle. Not only was the part where they're all scrambling to figure out how it works hilarious and something that always bothered me (it's rarely explained in PR or Sentai how the heroes just know how to pilot this massive thing), but the whole sequence was cool. Not only do we see them learning to work together to make it work, but you got a real sense that this is more or less how it would work if you were to build and pilot a giant robot in real life. What I mean by that, is that it probably wouldn't be this effortless battle we've always seen before, with the machine moving like a human or at least like it was piloted by one person. When you've got that many people operating something, they have to coordinate, which is why you saw Jason giving orders, including telling individual people to be ready for the next move. There was also a certain amount of lag, as you'd expect. It was more like seeing a battleship or submarine in action in an old war movie than a traditional giant monster battle... I love it.

Spoiler
I think we all knew that there'd be some nod to the Green Ranger at the end. What I want to know is, was the explosion his doing, or was it really Billy's fault? Rita is still floating through space, right? She probably didn't give him the coin, I imagine that he just picked it up off the street, but then why is he abusing his powers?

Hoshinger wrote:I was looking forward to the cameos and smaller roles played by former ranger stars, but all I saw were the two fuckers who messed up the series. I won't say who they are but one of them caused money problems for other rangers and by coming back to ASSert dominance.
Spoiler
What's your beef with JDF, man? You can hardly blame him for his character being popular, Saban was just giving the kids what they wanted. I agree that Tommy completely took over the show, and it could be annoying, but that's more the producers' fault than his.
dekared
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Dreamy: Mei (Pteraranger)
Favorite Actor?: Al Pacino
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Candy Toys
Quote: It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by dekared »

Spoiler
I don't think the ability to morph came from teamwork, more like the desire to protect. Billy morphed when he was trying to stop Jason and Zack fighting, and the others unlocked the morphin' grid when they asserted they would die for each other.

My main nitpick was why did the swords kill Goldar when nothing else worked? I get that in PR the monster is usually defeated by the sword, but they didn't even make the swords out to be anything special. Would it have been too much trouble to channel some morphin' grid energy into the sword, for some teamwork and some flashy special effects?

My other nitpick was Billy getting the slap joke at the end. Trying to explain it to the others. With his condition, he shouldn't have gotten the joke at all. He even said partway through the movie that he doesn't get humour.
WHERE'S THE SOAP?!
SwordKing
7X

Post by SwordKing »

Tried to see Power Rangers today. I walked out of the theater immediately after the "I milked the cow" bit. I expect that kind of garbage in an Adam Sandler movie, not in Power Rangers; and no giant robot sequence is worth having to sit through it.
In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two seperate, yet equally important groups: The police, who investigate crimes, and the giant robots, who do battle with the bad guys' giant robots. These are their stories.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

That's really all it took for you to walk out? Good lord, I mean, I cringed at the line for sure, but they're teenagers. Not to mention it does not reflect in any way on the quality of the rest of the film.

Well, at least they got your money. :^)
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
aresef
Go Go!

Post by aresef »

SwordKing wrote:Tried to see Power Rangers today. I walked out of the theater immediately after the "I milked the cow" bit. I expect that kind of garbage in an Adam Sandler movie, not in Power Rangers; and no giant robot sequence is worth having to sit through it.
C'mon man.

You missed a really good movie.

Return to “Movies”