Power Rangers - 2017 Film

All them talking pictures
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Power Rangers - 2017 Film

Post by mholden020 »

I saw this during one of the first showings around here this evening and absolutely loved it. While it was very hard to hear any of the lines with the cheesy terms in it ("Morphing Grid", for instance) without giggling to myself a little bit, the story they laid out was great. I truly can't comment on the plot itself without spoiling stuff, but I think they did a great job at taking something that was made on a relatively small budget for kids and turned it into a big-budget production that was aimed more for an older crowd.

What I worry about are the critics who could wind up preventing this movie from getting a solid footing. Most of the reviews sound like they went into the movie expecting to hate it and never changed their minds. I went to the theater with four people: Two of us have been fans since we were kids, so we basically ran to our seats at full sprint. The other two both went into the theater telling us how awful it was going to be because they've been reading reviews all week. When we left, all four of us were talking about how much we enjoyed it, even the two who complained for almost an hour.

TL:DR
It's not the show. The framework from the TV show is there, but it doesn't stick completely to that story at all. In fact, it gives backstory to a few things the show never explained, and it did so in a quick and effective manner. Anything else said about it would be spoiler territory, though.

Anyone else seen it yet, planning on seeing it?
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Power Rangers - 2017 Film

Post by TypicalStandUser »

mholden020 wrote:Anyone else seen it yet, planning on seeing it?
A week after Day 1 tomorrow. Considering Jeremy Jahns likes it and Chris Stuckmann from Channel Awesome gave it a C+, I may take a gander.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Katiana
Adventure
Favorite series: too many to list
Favorite Band: Eyeshine
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Toku

Post by Katiana »

I'm not totally sure if I'm going to see it. I might if some of my friends or family (brother is talking about seeing it) are going to go but don't know for sure.

Some of the things just really turned me off to the movie (Alpha's design is horrible, I'm not a fan of Zordon being a giant freaking wall, and the Zord designs are just bad) but haven't completely made up my mind. I do realize they had to change some things to update it to 2017 but still.
mholden020
Gabu
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher

Post by mholden020 »

Katiana wrote:Some of the things just really turned me off to the movie (Alpha's design is horrible, I'm not a fan of Zordon being a giant freaking wall, and the Zord designs are just bad) but haven't completely made up my mind. I do realize they had to change some things to update it to 2017 but still.
I thought the same about everything until they were presented in the movie and began to make sense. In fact, everything I was worried about going in was presented or explained in such a way that I thought they all fit the movie perfectly. The megazord, especially, looks a million times better on-screen, the toys do it absolutely no justice at all. Don't let a worry about visuals keep you from seeing the movie! I didn't like any of the stuff they showed off before the movie, and really like it now.

Alpha 5 is weird though, I'll give you that. Luckily, Bill Hader did a good job and overcame the strange looks, however he won't be the next BB-8 by any stretch of the imagination. :lol:
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

I definitely enjoyed the film. Had lots of little easter eggs and was overall a good time. My only 2 complaints were Goldar and that the team didn't spend enough time morphed. Also, I guess this makes 3 only the Red Ranger got his signature weapon. They should've have the Power Weapons and combined to make the blaster.
Katiana
Adventure
Favorite series: too many to list
Favorite Band: Eyeshine
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Toku

Post by Katiana »

Oh man, I forgot about Goldar's design. Somebody had to point out that was actually supposed to be Goldar for me to get who the character was supposed to be. It's bad when people aren't able to tell who a well known character is just by the designs they present.
ShepardRahl
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Yoshizawa Hitomi
Favorite Actor?: Dwayne Johnson
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Rider Belts
Quote: I will tell you something about anything...if not everything.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by ShepardRahl »

It was good. It had a lot more humor in it than I was expecting. I thought it was hilarious when they break the zords out and they play the Power Rangers remix theme from the original movie. I also liked the JDF/Amy Jo Johnson cameo at the end. They made Rita a straight savage. That was awesome.

I did have a few issues with it:

-They had to be "in sync" to morph and they didn't use morphers.

-There should have been more ground combat. Give them some kind of monster on the ground to have to deal with first. Like a puddy commander or something.

-You don't see the formation of the megazord. They get pushed into a flaming hole and come back out as the megazord. There wasn't any indication beforehand that they knew how to do that.

These are just my own personal nitpicks. They in no way ruin the movie for me.
I will tell you something about anything...if not everything!
Zenuku5
Infinity
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Kurenai Wataru
Favorite Actor?: Koji Seto
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Let's make this showy!
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Zenuku5 »

I enjoyed it. I honestly went into it expecting yet another overly drama fueled gritty grey slog-fest with little in the way of humor or fun. I have never been more happy to be proven wrong in my entire life. It paid a fair deal of homage and respect to the original series, with some fun meta moments. Design wise still had some issues but IN MOTION and in the movie itself it was a LOT more enjoyable than I would have expected. Could have used a little more humor, and a little more reverence to the original series but all in all it was good. While it suffered a similar amount of seriousness most films of this nature had, unlike so many others, it actually DIDN'T take itself TOO seriously. Just seriously enough with a fair amount of fun to help balance it out. It was fun.
Arashi1984
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite Band: DUSTZ

Post by Arashi1984 »

mholden020 wrote:
I plan on seeing it, but I'm not sure if I should see the original version or the german dub. :?
Next week I have the chance to see both versions. :wink:
Farr
7X
Favorite series: Blade / Deka
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim~W / Shinken
Dreamy: Umeko / Hana
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Farr »

Arashi1984 wrote:
mholden020 wrote:
I plan on seeing it, but I'm not sure if I should see the original version or the german dub. :?
Next week I have the chance to see both versions. :wink:
Considering how bad some Translations were in the past I'd go for OV.

But yeah not sure if I will go out and watch it, I simply hate the fact that the Power Suits have Heels(or at least Plateau) and Boobarmor, which is like a free Critical for any Weapon...

Also I got feed up pretty fast with the "Always SuperPower"-Bulls that Disney pulled of, and from what I can tell from the Trailer it also happens in the Movie?
mholden020
Gabu
-Michael Schumacher

Post by mholden020 »

ShepardRahl wrote:-They had to be "in sync" to morph and they didn't use morphers.
I've heard this from a lot of people and I'm not sure the reason for this really came across well: In order to actually have the powers they had to be a team, so they had to be "in sync" to get them. Don't forget that Billy morphed on his own when he began thinking of the team as a whole, so it wasn't necessary for all five of them to have that mindset for just one of them to morph. Billy wanted all five of them to work together while Jason and Zack had come to blows in the pit. However, all five had to have that mindset to have all five morphed at the same time. The way it came across to me was that they won't be like this in the future now that they have it figured out.
Completed Series:
ShepardRahl
Infinity

Post by ShepardRahl »

mholden020 wrote:
ShepardRahl wrote:-They had to be "in sync" to morph and they didn't use morphers.
I've heard this from a lot of people and I'm not sure the reason for this really came across well: In order to actually have the powers they had to be a team, so they had to be "in sync" to get them. Don't forget that Billy morphed on his own when he began thinking of the team as a whole, so it wasn't necessary for all five of them to have that mindset for just one of them to morph. Billy wanted all five of them to work together while Jason and Zack had come to blows in the pit. However, all five had to have that mindset to have all five morphed at the same time. The way it came across to me was that they won't be like this in the future now that they have it figured out.
I understood it all just fine. It was just such a radical departure from how it worked in the show. Plus they have been selling toy movie morphers. So I was expecting to see morphers. lol
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

ShepardRahl wrote:
mholden020 wrote:
I understood it all just fine. It was just such a radical departure from how it worked in the show. Plus they have been selling toy movie morphers. So I was expecting to see morphers. lol
they were selling lots of heman toys with shield and axe back in the days though reason was different :P
ShepardRahl
Infinity

Post by ShepardRahl »

Greenstalker wrote:
ShepardRahl wrote:
they were selling lots of heman toys with shield and axe back in the days though reason was different :P
lol Yeah. I just wasn't expecting such a radical change.
aresef
Go Go!

Post by aresef »

I really dug this movie. I was outspoken from the time it was announced to maybe a couple months ago that the movie was a bad idea etc. but I found it not only to be inoffensive but actually quite good. PR at its best is The Breakfast Club with superpowers and John Gatins and Dean Israelite zeroed in on that formula. This was less a film about fighting Rita than it was about the teens learning to come together and trust one another. As Alpha said, the rangers are "different colors, different kids, different-color kids."

By necessity, to bring Power Rangers to the big screen in 2017, they had to crack a few eggs of PR mythos. Instead of an unseen throwdown 10,000 years ago, we see Rita and Zordon 65 million years ago, with a dying Zordon telling Alpha to drop the dinosaur-offing asteroid. That was stunning. Or rather than Alpha abducting five teenagers who magically believe the floating head and get along, we have teens finding the coins and bringing them to a reluctant Zordon who tells uncooperative teens things they don't believe.

It seems weird, but in a way, the least boring stuff in the movie was in the hour and a half before they morphed.

I saw it for free in an advance screening and I'm about to go see it again, I was that impressed.

Return to “Movies”