What are the factors for Japanese cinema to show movies from other countries a year later??

All them talking pictures
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

What are the factors for Japanese cinema to show movies from other countries a year later??

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Recently, a Japanese youtube channel that shows trailers for movies that are going to be theaters showed a trailer for a comedy film from last year, Popstar: Never Stop, Never Stopping, with a August release this year.

I'm curious as to how and why the Japanese cinema system releases imported movies months after its initial release in its country of origin.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: What are the factors for Japanese cinema to show movies from other countries a year later??

Post by Lunagel »

The main factor is holidays. If you have a super big movie like Star Wars then you usually get simultaneous release, but the Japanese holiday season doesn't always match up with the American or other foreign ones. Frozen came out Thanksgiving weekend in the US, a huge box office week, but was delayed until March in Japan for the much larger Golden Week holidays. Same thing happened with Moana. Wonder Woman is still not out because they're waiting for the Obon holidays to release it.

Of course there's translation time to consider, and usually only the top 10% of foreign movies come over. Sometimes they have to see if there's any market for it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: What are the factors for Japanese cinema to show movies from other countries a year later??

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, I just assumed smaller movies had a longer localization time since they don't have the budget to get it done more quickly. But Luna's holiday theory makes a lot of sense.

Return to “Movies”