Death Note 2017 (It's a "eh" adaptation)

All them talking pictures
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Death Note 2017 (It's a "eh" adaptation)

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Not every hardcore fan of the franchise will like it. I'm fine with it despite the emphasis on the Young Adult moments. To quote Chris Stuckmann, it's a C-.

To note, the creators of the franchise are alright with it.

Dafoe!Ryuk was awesome and even more of an Affably Evil character than the original.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Death Note 2017 (It's a "eh" adaptation)

Post by Catastrophe »

I feel like it would have worked better with more time to flesh out the characters. It should have been a netflix series rather than a movie.

My main issues are that Light is painted in a more sympathetic light (lol) and his girlfriend has all the ruthless characteristics that the original Kira had. That and Ryuk is far more evil and less playful, but Dafoe was probably the best casting one could have for it.

I think I did enjoy it more then the TV drama, but not as much as the original two movies.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Re: Death Note 2017 (It's a "eh" adaptation)

Post by Revorse »

Yeah the pacing was ass. Coudld've been better as a mini series12 or so hour episodes. The changes were interesting and I wasn't as bothered by it as the majority of the internet.

Return to “Movies”