Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

The Raid Redemption: Dredd with martial arts

Post by takenoko »

A friend lent me this movie, and it's a fantastic action film. I've never seen choreography with knives and machetes like that before. (That machete in the wall scene was so cringy!)

Mad Dog is awesome.

The movie is Indonesian, but there's English subtitles. Like the subject line says, it's Dredd with martial arts.

Since you like tokusatsu, you'd probably be able to watch this and have a good time.

Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f6f_kfp1Z8
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: The Raid Redemption: Dredd with martial arts

Post by Saejima Kouga »

It is an amazing movie. There’s a second one, but the first is better imo.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The second one I think has better choreography for big scenes, but the plot is a little more contrived and some of the assassins seem like they've come out of a Tarantino movie.
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

WOW, as an Indonesian, I'm glad that This movie can enter & being discussed in TV Nihon forum.
I watch the The Raid 1st(redemption) & the The Raid: 2nd(Berandals).

In my opinion, the 1st movie = story 3/10, BUT Action= 12/10 --> especially The Gang Alley scene. the movie really2 emphasize on the ACTION SEQUENCE which is good but after almost 60minutes of fight scene again and again, i feel kinda exhausted & a bit bored at the drug factory fight(before final fight with Mad Dog). But the final fight is great thou.
for the dialogue, too many cursing while fighting in this movie, that's why i dont think it gives many good input into the story.
but yes, the story is simple & OK for an action movie like this.
That machete in the wall scene was so cringy!) ---> this one is good scene, a mixture of suspense,action,thrill & comedy (by the dialogue in the Bahasa version).

for the 2nd movie => since the 1st is such a HUGE SUCCESS, so they got MUCH BIGGER Budget for the 2nd one. so ya @catastrophe, they make some big scenes, street chasing cars action, more gun fights, and agree as well, some assasin looks like Tarantino movie indeed.
However, although ya there's a contrived kind of plot, but i do feel it makes the 2nd one have better story (yet many loop holes & some things are forced, production difficulty i guess). and about the Dialogue it gives more content of the story based on the words that they choose in the original Bahasa language i mean.

1 note for the 2nd movie = i do feel this one is more SADIST & psycologycally disturbing at 1 scene when people are chatting while slitting the throat of their prisoners.

Indeed for an Indonesian Movie, it's really2 above normal standard than what we usually do in here.
Credit for Iko Uwais (Tama/The Hero) & Yayan Ruhiyan (Mad Dog) for their Fighting Choreography throught these 2 movies.

The Director of this movie ( Gareth Evans) said perhaps he will make The 3rd movie in the 2019 few years ago.
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Oh, I had no idea there was a sequel. I have to admit that I really liked the ending where the police more or less lose. Yeah, they kill the bad guy, but all they've done is install a new gang boss (who just happens to be the hero's brother). So the cycle continues.

The action was definitely 12 out of 10, but I do have to admit that the Mad Dog versus the brothers fight went on too long. They kind of missed the sweet spot for how long a fight can continue before it gets fatiguing. But that's okay, the rest of it was spot on.

So do you guys recommend finding and watching the sequel?
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by fenrir »

will try to find the 2nd movie link then. hope i can find it and share it here.

ya, the ending is good. nad yes, some of the fight are tooo damn long. even the crowd when i watch the movie also already tired watching it before climax & some already wanna get out before it end because they feel fatigue watching it as well, hahaha

finished:
Densha Otoko
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

Great action movie. Even borderline into the horror genre.

The sequel is great too. Almost completely different feel than the first though. It's a crime drama thriller. And a dose of crazies.

(It can be found here, not sure if it's ok to post the link. If not, I apologize)
http://kissasian.ch/Drama/The-Raid-2-Be ... e?id=15474
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

For me, the first was intense and kept me interested. The story was simple and good. They were there to bust a drug and crime group. The second was a long movie and I found myself doing other things during it out of boredom. The fights were good but idgaf about the story in the second movie. If you have 2 and 1/2 hours to kill, see the second one.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Tuss4
Train man
Favorite series: Faiz
Dreamy: Ayame Misaki
Favorite Actor?: Myself

Post by Tuss4 »

I would recommend also watching Merentau and the Raid II.

Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

If anything, the 2nd is good for the fight scenes. Like others have said though, the story isn't as simple and it goes on for a little long.

But definitely worth it if you are into well done martial arts. The fight in the kitchen at the end is god tier.
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by fenrir »

@catastrophe => the kitchen fight is actually being done by 2 of the fight choreograper themself

finished:
Densha Otoko
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

I know. That's what makes it great. The movies where they have two really good fighters that just play off each other are the best.
Masked Rider
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Shinkenyellow
Favorite Actor?: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Band: Ayumi Hamasaki
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Shadow Kick!!!

Post by Masked Rider »

I saw it a few years back and loved it. Although I found myself enjoying the sequel more. Maybe because it had less characters to follow and/or the fight choreography was magnificent. Whatever the case may be, I had a great time with both of them.

Hammer Girl is bad@$$!!!
GenBoy
Go Go!
Dreamy: Momochi Kasumi
Favorite Actor?: Sammo Hung
Favorite Band: Linkin Park
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: ~Searching~
Quote: Every technology ages, John. The only thing that never gets old is connecting with people.

Post by GenBoy »

The era of copying the fight scene like The Bourne (shaky cam & quick cuts) is over since this movie is released. Any fight choreos and directors began to learn how to shoot a fight scene through this movie and give it their own spin, https://youtu.be/L8DHiP8UKIY?t=3m39s

Return to “Movies”