The Disaster Artist (film adaptation of a book about The Room)

All them talking pictures
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

The Disaster Artist (film adaptation of a book about The Room)

Post by TypicalStandUser »

After all the fracking difficult finals I've taken, I've gone out to a theater and watched the movie about how The Room was made and the two people behind it.

The movie is about Tommy Wiseau (James Franco in heavy makeup) and Greg Sestero (Dave Franco), two rookie actors going to Los Angeles to seek fame and pursuing the path to making one of the worst American films in existence but then became a funny, cult classic, nationwide midnight-screening movie. While on surface, it may seem like another Rogen!Franco film (Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg are producers for this film), Seth Rogen himself is playing a good side character at best while some of the actual actors and actresses who played the very actors and actresses of The Room were average. The drama is alright, with highlights on how Greg feels that Tommy might be a liability to not just his career but his personal life as well, as well as most of the heartrending scenes during the production of The Room.

This adaptation also includes re-filmed scenes of The Room's most memorable scenes, of which this video doesn't have a lot of.

As with all film adaptations of books, it's not perfect. The movie made it a point to highlight and balance most of Tommy's good and bad decisions while the book itself has a TON of negatives about Tommy, including his criticisms about France, the other people he fired from The Room's production or even the harsh abuses he dishes out on the production staff if things didn't go his way. Simply put, Tommy Wiseau in fiction was just another nice guy with some issues, not a total dick. In some aspects, there's melding the characteristics of some of the people who were adapted out of the film into other people as well as inclusion of new events/new people (that never happened in the book/real-life) for pragmatic effects on the film's narrative. One more thing: the movie states that NO ONE knows about Tommy Wiseau's personal information, such as his true ethnicity, income or age. Real-life Greg knows how old he is but has kept it a secret.

This film isn't big on being a perfect adaptation of Greg Sestero's tell-all but it's good enough for most people who like watching cult classic films or people who love The Room. Give The Room a try and watch The Disaster Artist too!
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Primus_fansub
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Dekayellow
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Sato
Favorite Band: Riverside
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider Build
Quote: Geronimo!

Re: The Disaster Artist (film adaptation of a book about The Room)

Post by Primus_fansub »

Is it fun? I mean, we know it contains drama, but does it make ypu laugh, like all those video reviews about The Room that are there? Or is it a more serious work about the book?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I hear the best parts of The Disaster Artist are the parts that are replications of The Room. So I think I'll pass on The Disaster Artist the movie.

The book on CD, read by Greg himself, is hilarious though. And I highly recommend that people who enjoy The Room take a listen. It's as bizarre and fun as you'd expect from the man who created The Room.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The audiobook is definitely better than the movie.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Primus_fansub wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:11 pm Is it fun? I mean, we know it contains drama, but does it make ypu laugh, like all those video reviews about The Room that are there? Or is it a more serious work about the book?
Some of the antics Tommy and Greg go through in the beginning were hysterical, but going halfway to the production of The Room, it gets dramatic due to Tommy overdemanding everyone on doing their work the way he wants it to go and implementing Big Brother surveillance on all of the movie's crew.

I'll give the audiobook a go.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.

Return to “Movies”