Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

I, Tonya (Tonya Harding Biopic 2.0)

Post by TypicalStandUser »

A indie film featuring Margot Robbie (Harley Quinn from Suicide Squad 2016), Sebastian Stan (Bucky from MCU's Captain America), it's about Tonya Harding's fame and infamy as a US ice skater during the 90's and her eventual blacklisted status on competitive ice skating. Though there was a TV movie about her life (and Nancy Kerrigan's) years ago, this movie focuses more on Tonya while Nancy is here and there.

I don't watch much sports or media about disgraced persons who participated in sports but this is a good movie about a disgraced, former ice skater. Great use of 4th wall breaks, wonderful dramatic sequences, brilliant use of other camera types to document several characters (notice Shawn Eckhardt's interviews: it's a tell on his real-life status).

Interesting trivia: Sarah Kawamura, an ice staking choreographer who trained Kerrigan with skating routines, taught Margot how to skate, including the triple axels Harding was famous for.

Give this one a go. Don't worry, there's a Harley Quinn allusion halfway through the movie.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: I, Tonya (Tonya Harding Biopic 2.0)

Post by takenoko »

I just think it's weird to see a biographical movie come out about Tonya Harding. Will it hold appeal to people who weren't alive in the 90s, I wonder?

Return to “Movies”