All them talking pictures
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Up

Post by Lunagel »

Opinions?

I've been a Pixar fan almost since birth, when my parents showed me the VHS of the early Pixar shorts that are now on that DVD compilation set, so I'll spare you the large amount of praise. Definitely surprised when I saw this one, as it had a bit more of an adult theme to it, and there were definitely a few scenes I felt myself tearing up. Nothing really new, visually speaking, yet this is the first time I can honestly say a story appeals to all age groups.

Also, I'm liking the vaguely-Asian kid as the spunky sidekick. Reminded me far too much of myself as a kid.
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Re: Up

Post by jolly_old_saint »

I loved the movie. I can't say how well it'd appeal to all age groups, but e'er was I a sentimental old man at heart. As one, gotta say it hit several soft spots.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I thought it was heartfelt. I like the theme of letting go of the past and enjoyed the metaphorical representation during the scene where he dumps the content of the house just to save the boy.

But I have to admit that I was somewhat aghast by how dark the movie was. Did they have to imply that the villain of the movie, the childhood hero of Carl and Ellie, has become a paranoid killer of his childhood fans? He's got a pile of explorer goggles and caps that look similar to what Carl and Ellie wore when they first met. It's pretty heartbreaking to think that if Ellie had ever accomplished her dream, she would have been confronted with this terrible reality.

I liked the yoshi bird and the talking dogs. Going into the movie, knowing nothing about it besides there being an old man, a floating house, and some kid, made me appreciate some of the delightful surprises that weren't so forefront.

And I guess Charles Muntz (the explorer hero guy) was named after the guy who stole Oswald the Lucky Rabbit from Disney. Wah wah.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

For me, it was a nice movie.
takenoko wrote:And I guess Charles Muntz (the explorer hero guy) was named after the guy who stole Oswald the Lucky Rabbit from Disney. Wah wah.
Oh... you mean the cartoonist Walter Lantz of Universal Studios?

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

"The villain Charles Muntz is named after Charles Mintz, the Universal Pictures executive who in 1928 stole Walt Disney's production rights to his highly-successful "Oswald the Lucky Rabbit" cartoon series. This led Walt Disney to create Mickey Mouse, who soon eclipsed Oswald in popularity. "

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1049413/tri ... tt_trv_trv
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

Yup. It's both Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks who created that cartoon character before Mickey.

I only watch one cartoon but I don't watch other Oswald the Lucky Rabbit cartoon... it bores me. Mickey Mouse's cartoons better (ohhh... even the 1935 cartoon Band Concert)

fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

i just watch this movie again few days ago in the local tv in here. as i can say this movie TOUCH my heart the most with 2 scenes. the first 10minutes about Carl&Ellie life journey is AWESOMELY GREAT. no matter how much i watch it, i still feel touched by that scene. and the other scene is when Carl read Ellie last message. about Carl & Russel relationship that is also very very good. full of laugh & the movie draw out emotions from the audience. 1 of greatest PIXAR movie i think
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko

Return to “Movies”