Boyz boyz boyz
Favorite series: Rescue Fire/Double
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o/Magi/Deka
Dreamy: Philip/Shoutarou
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Qsuke!

Toy Story 3

Post by Alkaid »

I am surprized and saddened to see no Toy Story 3 thread here!

As someone who basically grew up watching the movies I'm very excited for the newest installment out next Friday, June 18th.

For those who haven't seen the mass marketing blitz for the movie, toys, and whatnot, here's a couple of the trailers for the movie.

Teaser Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f-MYl-HzNw

Full Trailer 1 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_FfHA5whXc

I've loved these movies and their music, characters, story since the first one came out. It's so great to see these characters again and see what this "Story" will entail...
Yuusuke: BLACK RX?
Decade. No... This is... Saban's Masked Rider no Sekai. Alright, let's go.
Natsumi: WHAT? You're not going to help this world's Rider?
Decade: BELIEVE ME, it's better if they all die.

lostinbrave
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: Toy Story 3

Post by lostinbrave »

I am as well excited for Toy Story 3. The first one came out when I was 5. At that time my father was finishing up his bachelors in computer science. One of the classes he was taking was a computer graphic class, his professor also happened to work for Pixar. Imagine my excitement when he came home one day and told me that we were going to go see how the movie was made. They showed us earlier models, different color schemes, and many other things that I thought were so amazing. This cemented what had already become one of my favorite movies of the time.
ImageImage
Hikikomori-san
7X
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Blade/555/Ryuki
Favorite Band: NoGod
My boom: Deluhi/Crossfaith
Quote: "Bandai laughs at our pain...and drinks our tears." - Vangelus

Post by Hikikomori-san »

Yeah, I grew up with these movies too. Andy's entering college and since I'm in first year U, I can sorta relate to his experiences. I'm going to immensely enjoy this movie, and I hope I won't geekgasm or nerdscream when I watch this movie T_T;

Although predictable plot is predictable. But who's going to watch this movie for the plot?! It's the characters that matter!

Speaking of Toy Story, anyone getting those Revoltech Woody/Buzz figures?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Did anyone notice the Totoro cameo in the preview? He's easy to miss, but definitely there! XD
Arigomi
Save the life
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

I first learned about the existence of the movie when pictures of the Toy Story Lego sets starting appearing at a Lego forum I browse. One of the most creative sets in Lego Toy Story line is this one:

http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=7595

Disney doesn't seem to be sparing any expense with the amount of marketing and merchandising present. I guess they are trying to attract more boys to their properties since over the past few years their merchandising has focused heavily on the Disney Princess brand.

I enjoyed the original Toy Story movie but that was pretty much the extent of my appreciation. Despite being a pioneer in the realm of CGI movies, the technical achievements couldn't alleviate my disconnect with the narrative. There was nothing wrong with the plot or characters. The movie simply didn't resonate with me on deep level because there was a nostalgic atmosphere that reminds me of a Norman Rockwell painting. I suspect it was a stylistic choice to introduce the audience to the future (CG animation) while paying homage to the past (hand-drawn animation). Unfortunately for me, the juxtaposition of new and old through every facet of the movie (plot, characters, music, etc.) always left me craving for the spontaneous energy that I love in animation. I could always tell that the animators wanted to do so much more but were limited by the script, director's vision, and technology available.

I was fortunate to watch Toy Story 2 and that was when I finally made a connection with the franchise. Most people don't expect much from a sequel so I didn't have very high expectations. Toy Story 2 ended up fufilling everything I wanted from the original in spades. The characters no longer felt so reserved and began to truly shine. There were a lot more risks taken with the jokes, giving the movie a modern sensibility. I'm excited that a lot of this has carried over to Toy Story 3.
Alkaid
Boyz boyz boyz

Post by Alkaid »

Lunagel wrote:Did anyone notice the Totoro cameo in the preview? He's easy to miss, but definitely there! XD
Yep! This is actually because Pixar Studios had a lot of association with the dubbing and English localization for most of the more recent SG (Studio Gibili, probably spelled wrong, sorry. .-.) films and DVD releases. And it's also not much of a secret that the head of Pixar really, really, REALLY likes SG films. (It's probably the reason that Pixar was gifted with a life-size Catbus for it's location)

As for Story, I actually really liked both films, just because I liked the characters and personalities given to the toys themselves. The voices and actions really bring everything to life.

It's just really nostalgic for me and I can't wait to see how the toys I "grew" up with in yet another film.

Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Yeah, John Lasseter and Miyazaki are actually pretty good friends, there's even Lasseter's signature on the projection booth wall in the Studio Ghibli Museum.
lostinbrave
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by lostinbrave »

ImageImage
That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Post by That Guy »

Awww, that was cute.
Alkaid
Boyz boyz boyz

Post by Alkaid »

Anyone catch an opening weekend viewing?

Needless to say, it's been awhile since I laughed so hard that I began to cry. Awesome way to end the weekend. (Though I will admit that the 3D was underwhelming *but I didn't know that the screening my Dad took us to was going to be 3D*)

As for Luna (spoiler) :
Spoiler
That wasn't just a small cameo... :D

Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Sweet. I won't get to see it until the 10th, and not in English until I get home, but it looks like everyone's enjoying it so far.
Hikikomori-san
7X
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Blade/555/Ryuki
Favorite Band: NoGod
My boom: Deluhi/Crossfaith
Quote: "Bandai laughs at our pain...and drinks our tears." - Vangelus

Post by Hikikomori-san »

Best movie of the summer; or hell, even best movie of the YEAR for me. T_T; (certainly the best trilogy in my books)

I even feel guilty for not crying in certain parts of the movie. I'm planning to watch it again so I can actually cry and not feel guilty about NOT crying...>_> (this would be sincere sobbing btw...)

Whoever has doubts about a movie with a 3 in its title being good, fear not. Toy Story 3 will surpass your expectations and soar higher than your hopes.

Also, several cameos <-- awesome.

NO ONE SHOULD MISS THIS MOVIE! (but there's no need to watch it in 3D, nothing special much)
rizefall
Swedish Meatball

Post by rizefall »

i so dearly want to see this movie!
"Lady Luck is smilin"
Alkaid
Boyz boyz boyz

Post by Alkaid »

Hikikomori-san wrote:Best movie of the summer; or hell, even best movie of the YEAR for me. T_T; (certainly the best trilogy in my books)

I even feel guilty for not crying in certain parts of the movie. I'm planning to watch it again so I can actually cry and not feel guilty about NOT crying...>_> (this would be sincere sobbing btw...)

Whoever has doubts about a movie with a 3 in its title being good, fear not. Toy Story 3 will surpass your expectations and soar higher than your hopes.

Also, several cameos <-- awesome.

NO ONE SHOULD MISS THIS MOVIE! (but there's no need to watch it in 3D, nothing special much)[/quote

Yeah, I totally understand that, it was really hard not to cry in certain parts (though for me, some of it was laughing so had that I was crying) and I plan on taking my mom later this week so she can see it as well. (And I know she'll totally cry, so it'll be all okay to do so as well)

I actually think this is the best movie I've ever seen with a "3" in the title as well.

I also plan on rewatching it to try to find some of the cameos I missed the first time around. (Though, that seems to happen in every Pixar film; looking for certain things, items, cameo voices, etc)

]
rizefall wrote:i so dearly want to see this movie!
I really highly recommend it, best (and only) film I've seen this year and probably one of the best I've seen in quite awhile. I got used to watching big Hollywood action/"let's blow stuff up" films in the summer and this is a nice way to break off from that trend and just watch a series that I've loved for more than half of my life. :D

rizefall
Swedish Meatball

Post by rizefall »

Yeah im going to watch it with my girlfriend and my best friend. Love the old Toy story ;D
"Lady Luck is smilin"

Return to “Movies”