Meteor Garden

There's never anything good on
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Meteor Garden

Post by ReversedSentai »

So I recently noticed a new banner for TV-Nihon.

Wow, this brings back major memories. Have anyone else watched Meteor Garden or heard of it? I remember watching this back a while back; that time, I didn't even know that this show was based on the Japanese manga Hana Yori Dango.
Masked Rider
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Shinkenyellow
Favorite Actor?: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Band: Ayumi Hamasaki
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Shadow Kick!!!

Re: Meteor Garden

Post by Masked Rider »

I watched this show a few years back. Not bad. I liked it for the leading actress, Barbie Hsu. After watching this, I watched, "Meteor Garden 2," "Meteor Rain," "Hana Yori Dango," "Hana Yori Dango 2," and "Hana Yori Dango Final."

By this time, I was too exhausted to watch "Boys Before Flowers (Korean)," and "Meteor Shower (China)." I can only take so much of watching the same storyline over and over again.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

Masked Rider wrote:I watched this show a few years back. Not bad. I liked it for the leading actress, Barbie Hsu. After watching this, I watched, "Meteor Garden 2," "Meteor Rain," "Hana Yori Dango," "Hana Yori Dango 2," and "Hana Yori Dango Final."

By this time, I was too exhausted to watch "Boys Before Flowers (Korean)," and "Meteor Shower (China)." I can only take so much of watching the same storyline over and over again.
I liked Hana Yori Dango the most, although that's possibly because it was the first version I've seen. Meteor Garden 2 is a bit...boring for most of the part; I got a bit tired because Daoming Si lost his memories and stuff, which made his badass personality go away.

I've watched a bit of Meteor Shower (Chinese version). That version is considerably different compared to the rest; the Domyouji of the series is obsessed with race cars and became a part of F4 after the girl joined the school...which is quite different.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I was a big fan of the anime. I saw the first series of it, it was okay. I remember in Japanese class one of the girl was all mad at the main actress saying she was a bitch or something. That was funny to me.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

takenoko wrote:I was a big fan of the anime. I saw the first series of it, it was okay. I remember in Japanese class one of the girl was all mad at the main actress saying she was a bitch or something. That was funny to me.
Was the girl Sakurako? That girl who got plastic surgery to get revenge on Domyouji with her beauty? That was pathetic, yet kinda funny.
Masked Rider
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by Masked Rider »

Take and Reversed,

Did either of you read the manga series? I wonder how it compared to the anime as well as the various live action series?

I would assume the Japanese TV series would come the closest to the manga but I'm only assuming.

I know for the Taiwanese F4, they released an album or two due to the success of the show. But had to change the group's name since "F4" was copyrighted.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

Masked Rider wrote:Take and Reversed,

Did either of you read the manga series? I wonder how it compared to the anime as well as the various live action series?

I would assume the Japanese TV series would come the closest to the manga but I'm only assuming.

I know for the Taiwanese F4, they released an album or two due to the success of the show. But had to change the group's name since "F4" was copyrighted.
I've read a little of the manga, and Meteor Garden is the closest adaption. It had a lot of episodes, and took the plot slowly before introducing characters like Tsukasa's mom. I remember this one chapter/episode where F4 had a basketball game to determine whether Makino and Rui gets expelled or not.

I haven't seen Boys Over Flowers (Korean) though, cause I heard it was overhyped and the only main reason why it was so popular was because of the handsome actors. Besides, I've already seen Hana Yori Dango, Meteor Garden, and Meteor Shower (Chinese), so I really didn't feel like watching the exact same storyline with the same plot with just different actors and actresses. Haven't watched the anime either.
Masked Rider
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by Masked Rider »

I hear you. One of the problems I had with Meteor Garden was that it had close to 30 hour-long episodes. Add that with the sequel and you can get worn out very fast. Some episodes drag with character development.

At least Hana Yori Dango was about 10 episodes long. Much easier on the brain, eyes, and my butt from sitting too long.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

Masked Rider wrote:I hear you. One of the problems I had with Meteor Garden was that it had close to 30 hour-long episodes. Add that with the sequel and you can get worn out very fast. Some episodes drag with character development.

At least Hana Yori Dango was about 10 episodes long. Much easier on the brain, eyes, and my butt from sitting too long.
To be honest, I really only enjoyed maybe one-half of the entire Meteor Garden season 1. There were so many unrelated events in the story that was completely irrelevant to the actual story. Season 2 is boring me to death; I literally cannot get the feeling of excitement watching Daoming Si with that new girl.

Hana Yori Dango, on the other hand, was 100% enjoyable. Every episode served a very important purpose unlike Meteor Garden, and Hana Yori Dango season 2 had some actual plot rather than the second season of Meteor Garden.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

ReversedSentai wrote:
takenoko wrote:I was a big fan of the anime. I saw the first series of it, it was okay. I remember in Japanese class one of the girl was all mad at the main actress saying she was a bitch or something. That was funny to me.
Was the girl Sakurako? That girl who got plastic surgery to get revenge on Domyouji with her beauty? That was pathetic, yet kinda funny.
No, she was talking about the actress who played the main girl.

I have some of Hana Yori Dango manga in Japanese, but it was very hard for me to follow when I tried reading it. Maybe it'll be easier now.

Return to “TV”