Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Star Trek TNG S1 Blu-Rays (Audio flaw)

Post by takenoko »

So I gave into temptation last week and picked these up. I figured, I hadn't seen these in over 10 years, plus at around 60 bucks, it's a hell of a better deal than what the Japanese Blu-rays give me.

Unfortunately, I was watching Encounter at Farpoint when very early on I noticed all the voices were coming out of the right side. It was like "Uhhh... is my PS3 busted? Maybe it's my headphones?" I checked my settings a few times before finding out that it's a flaw in the discs itself:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/01/star ... eplacemen/

So I e-mailed the info and will hopefully get some replacements relatively soon. But I figured I'd mention that since I'm sure I'm not the only Star Trek fan around here. (The video quality was pretty nice on my TV)

I initially wanted to hold out for further seasons (I mean hey, it's the first seasons. Riker doesn't even have a beard yet, and everyone acts so strangely) but it's a franchise that I'm a fan of and wanted to support.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Re: Star Trek TNG S1 Blu-Rays (Audio flaw)

Post by XIII »

I saw the news and decided to hold off for a while to let the duff sets disappear, probably wont pick it up till s2 comes out, hopefully by then all should be good with the set
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I might as well do a little review of it. It comes in a shiny foil sleeve (for some reason my plastic wrap was of the Blu-ray case inside the sleeve. The Star Trek logo pops out of the sleeve, blah blah blah.

The 6 discs come in a single Blu-ray case. It's a nice slim package, but I generally don't like the insert disc holders since I find it confusing whether to put the disc in the top part or the bottom part. There's no inserts of any sort since there's no room for them.

I don't know why, but for some reason the cover feels pretty cheap. You can pull it out and read which episodes are on which discs. The discs themselves are just the generic silver Star Trek TNG logo on blue. It's functionally over design. It just kind of makes me sad that no art went into this at all. I mean, the Star Trek movie Blu-rays have generic gray labels, but at least the Blu-ray cover has individual art of the crew members. Don't get me wrong, it's no deal breaker in any sense, it just is what it is.

Looks like the special features are episodic promos, a feature about making TNG in HD, something about a star trek archive, the origins of tng, a gag real, and dvd featurettes.
DekaChief
IXA
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by DekaChief »

I got my replacement discs in the mail today. I haven't had the time to check them out. But from what I've read, along with fixing the audio problems on Discs 1, 3, and 4, they also fixed the missing phaser effect from "Heart of Glory" on Disc 5.

While it's a shame there's no art for the discs in the set, it doesn't bug me too much since CBS/Paramount haven't been putting art on their DVD and Blu-Ray discs for quite a few years.
Spoiler
Peek a boo, Chuck Norris sees you! *roundhouse kick into oblivion*
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I still haven't received mine (they pushed back the ship date twice in August). Last I heard they were shipping August 25th I think?

I admit the no art on the disc is definitely a nitpick. At the end of the day, as long as the content is good, I'll be happy.
DekaChief
IXA

Post by DekaChief »

Yeah, the reason why they pushed back the shipping of the replacements is because they found out about the missing Phaser blast effect from "Heart of Glory" and fixed it. So you'll be getting a fixed disc 5 in addition to fixed discs 1, 3, and 4.
Spoiler
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Okay, that's a pretty sweet acceptable reason for delay. Thanks for the head's up Deka.
DekaChief
IXA

Post by DekaChief »

For those who are waiting for the fixed sets to appear in stores, The Digital Bits reported on how to identify the sets with fixed discs:
TheDigitalBits wrote:Also today, a LOT of you Trek fans have been e-mailing to ask how you'll be able to spot the fixed versions of CBS' Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One Blu-ray set on store shelves. We've just heard back from CBS and have the official answer: There will be "a red delta shield symbol near the top of the slipcover spine" on the packaging of the fixed versions. In addition, the corrected discs will have the same delta shield symbol in front of the disc number on each.
Spoiler

Return to “TV”