There's never anything good on
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Post by Saejima Kouga »

You all know the story. High school girl with a destiny to remove creatures of evil from the world.

It's been a while since I've sat back and watched Buffy to really enjoy it, so I figured since I was dying for something 90s to watch, that I'd try an episode of Buffy.

I'm glad I did.

I chose Season 2's first episode, "When She Was Bad", which is Buffy's return to Sunnydale after a summer vacation to visit her dad in LA. It started with Willow and Xander having an odd but romantic stroll (at night... in a cemetery) when ofcourse, they get attacked by a vampire. Buffy shows up and saves the night, but something is a miss...

School starts and everyone's excited because it's been a long and boring summer. No demons or vampires to speak of, until the night before when Buffy got home. Giles and crew are amazed that a vampire showed up, considering the Master was dead. He suggests that Buffy take a few days to get into the swing of school, and then states that she should start training again. Buffy let's him know that she's ready, and then proceeds to break training equipment. It's at this point that Giles (like Xander, Willow, and Cordelia did at the Bronze - a la sexy dance she did with Xander to "Sugar Water" by Cibo Matto) realizes something's wrong with Buffy.

Unknown to them all, however, Buffy's been having dreams... nightmares of the Master's return. In fact, these visions haunt her so badly, that she pays the Master's grave a visit... only to discover he's not home. Someone has taken the Master's bones. But who? Why? What could anyone want with his skeleton?

Buffy storms into school the next day to let Giles know that the Master's remains are missing. She already knows what is going on... the vampires are going to revive the Master. Giles informs Buffy that there are revivification rituals, but they have little-no chance of working. Buffy's still pissed, because she doesn't want to take that chance.

Then a notice smashes through a window, informing Buffy and crew that Cordelia has been kidnapped. It asks her to come to the Bronze (local hangout nightclub) to get her. Knowing it's a trap, Buffy tells her friends that she doesn't want them to go, because she can't protect them and fight at the same time anymore. With that she dashes out into what was thought to be unknown danger...

To keep this from being too much longer... the trap wasn't for Buffy. It was to get her to leave the others so they too could be kidnapped. The Vampires needed the people that were physically close to the Master when he died. Buffy learns this after it's too late, of course, and so she goes to find them.

Our scene is an abandoned factory, with the Master's skeleton lying on a table, and Buffy's friends hanging upside down over top of it. Buffy makes her entrance, whoops some ass, and everyone is rescued... but there's one piece of business left...

This time, the Master doesn't get burried. Instead his bones are ground into talcum powder by Buffy and a random sledge hammer.

Needless to say, I really got into this episode. It felt like I was watching a real horror movie from the 90s, which was great.

So... do we have any other BtVS fans?
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Kaheraji
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Post by Kaheraji »

I am also a big Buffy fan. I tend to be more favorable of the Angel Spin-Off, but I did love the show.

My favorite season was season 3.
Sarcastic_Jamie
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Ikuta Toma
Favorite Actor?: Ikuta Toma
Favorite Band: Shinee,2pm
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: Glee
Quote: Life's a bitch and she has puppies.

Post by Sarcastic_Jamie »

Well right now I'm watching season two where Kendra comes in.
Darren Criss is my future baby's Daddy.
AdamH
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by AdamH »

Loved Buffy. Big fan. All seasons own. Remember not many specifics. Unwrap DVDs should and watch, yes.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.

Post by Saejima Kouga »

^Do it you should!

Glad to see I'm not the only fanatic on the boards, but yet I"m probably the only one to do a mile long synopsis of one episode.

I think I need to re-watch the series, because there's stuff that I didn't pick up on before when they were aired fresh.
phantombeast
Go Go!
Favorite series: Sailor Moon / Buffy
Favorite Band: t.A.T.u.
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by phantombeast »

I'm a very big fan of Buffy. I don't really know what else to say, besides it's my favorite show. Anyone get to go to the Sing a Long?
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Go to the sing along...? Explain.
phantombeast
Go Go!

Post by phantombeast »

Fans of the show, especially of the "Once More With Feeling" musical episode put together a Buffy Sing-A-Long in New York. It's pretty much Buffy meets Rocky Horror. The "actors" play out the roles on stage while the episode plays behind them in the theatre. They're dressed up, have props, and lip synch. The episode is played with subtitles so the whole audience sings a long and interact with props handed out by the theatre.

It started a about 2 years ago, and last year got famous/infamous enough that it toured around the US. One showing in Los Angeles had Joss Whedon and Marti Noxon in the audience. Unfortunately, FOX had problems with it, and it got shut down around last Halloween.

It was fun. I went twice in NY. It guess it's like a comic con or something, being in a room filled with people who feel the same as you do about something you love.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

o_o; word.
I don't think I'd be interested in being part of that though.
phantombeast
Go Go!

Post by phantombeast »

I'd never go up on stage and act it out. But it's a cool experience. They usually have warm up games like Buffy Jeopardy. Or they show the scene where...
Spoiler
Angel loses his soul right after having sex and Buffy doesn't know yet.. They mute it and have audience members talk into a microphone and act it out. Usually a guy for Buffy and a girl for Angel for more laughs.

The Buffy videogames were really good. And I can't stop playing the boardgame. It may be a problem, but I've accepted it.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I have the video games, but I'm stuck in places I can't beat in both of them. XD
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I saw the 2 seasons that my library had. It was alright. I can see why tokusatsu fans would like this series and vice a versa
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

>_> I'm beginning to wonder if you're ever going to say anything better than "It was alright" or "It was okay" to the shows I like. XD

I found it somewhat related to Garo and Cutie Honey. So I'd figure most people who enjoy a toku would like those two best if they tried it due to watching Buffy.

Which two seasons are they?
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Ah, good ol' Buffy. Saw the last couple of seasons on TV, then I got the DVDs for every season and all was good.

Almost afraid to ask this but, what did you other Buffy fans think of the spin-off series Angel?
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I didn't really care for it. But then I never really liked the character "Angel" either.

Return to “TV”