There's never anything good on
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Post by Saejima Kouga »

The first two episodes of Buffy, Season 2 - Kendra's arrival, Season 3 episode 1, Season 3 - Faith's arrival, Season 6's ep with Buffy in the asylum, and Season 7 during the few eps Buffy got kicked out of her own home....again -- were all prime examples of how she could've gotten away with doing nothing, but decided to save the world because it's right.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Yea I realized that while I was posting.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I figured I'd go ahead and have the response waiting for when someone else tries to run with the point you thought you had.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog

Post by Kogashi »

ah, good call.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Yes yes quite right.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

I just like more personal stories, I suppose. Saving the world is all grand and such, but there comes a point, I suppose, where you need some kind of deeply personal pain to be driving it.

To go off on a tangent, my issue with Buffy is also why I dislike the Wheel of Time series.
Spoiler
Rand's village is leveled near the start, sure, but that's just too big. It's hard to care about a whole village being put to the sword, especially when we don't know any of them. However, my favoritest fantasy novel is, at the core, just a guy trying to prove to his wife that he's worth staying with. Sure, he kills people, overthrows a godking, and nearly destroys a city to do it, but it's understandable. You love someone enough, you'd burn the world for them, right?

Angel was like that. He desperately wanted atonement, and it was that internal struggle I appreciated far more than Buffy's oft flippant Chosen One stuff, where everything sought her out because She Was The Slayer. Sure, Angel fought to save the world as well, but saving it was just a means to his own ends. It sounds sort've unheroic, but it's more human, I think.

Anyway. Angel is a hero, too. Just like Xander and Wesley and, god, even homework! Lorne. They all risk their lives time and time again. Sure, they don't have to, but if not they, whom else?
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog

Post by Kogashi »

Well truth be told, I preferred Spike over Angel. I mean I liked Angel, but I liked him the most when the two of them were interacting, hence why I loved the last season of Angel so much. Not often that you find two vamps arguing over Spacemen Vs Cavemen XP
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I find the possible life sacrificing (not because she has to, but she actually chooses to) still more heroic than the "I wanna be a real boy!" thing. It's an argument of selfless vs selfish.

And if Xander hadn't of gotten in the way, he wouldn't have lost an eye. :p

As for the others, somebody has to be Angel's cheerleaders.
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

I dunno. This line pretty much summary up Angel's opinion for what he's fighting for.

Spoiler
Angel: “Well, I guess I kinda - worked it out. If there is no great glorious end to all this, if - nothing we do matters, - then all that matters is what we do. ’cause that’s all there is. What we do, now, today. - I fought for so long. For redemption, for a reward - finally just to beat the other guy, but… I never got it.”
Kate: “And now you do?”
Angel: “Not all of it. All I wanna do is help. I wanna help because - I don’t think people should suffer, as they do. Because, if there is no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness - is the greatest thing in the world.”

Angel has already give up on becoming a human or finding redemption. I thought it was stated all way throughout the series? That's why in the end,
Spoiler
he signed away his only chance of becoming human. Or something like that.
He didn't care anymore, he just wanted what's best for the world.

Dunno, I always found what he is fighting for more meaningful than Buffy's. For Buffy, it's about her finding her own happiness.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
phantombeast
Go Go!
Favorite series: Sailor Moon / Buffy
Favorite Band: t.A.T.u.

Post by phantombeast »

I think Buffy deserves to be selfish. Making a 15 year old girl fight for her life every night isn't easy on anyone. She's given up a lot because it's the right thing to do. But it was her going against the "handbook" that's kept her alive longer than the past Slayers (except for those two deaths, heh), and made her a better Slayer. Like choosing to slay with friends and follow her gut as opposed to following a discipline.

I don't think Buffy being chosen to fight and Angel choosing to fight makes a difference. Angel may say he's doing good because it's right. And that may be true. But he's doing good because of his guilt. Buffy's drive was to protect people.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

^That was beautiful! T__T
phantombeast
Go Go!
Favorite series: Sailor Moon / Buffy
Favorite Band: t.A.T.u.

Post by phantombeast »

Hehe, thanks. I didn't mean to give a motivational speech ala season 7 Buffy. I've just been in a BtVS mood lately. I just beat the first XBOX game, and I'm on the second thanks to backwards compatibility. And I just found out a Buffy Nintendo DS game comes out in November. So that plus Final Fantasy IV gives me a reason to go out and get a DS. And now I'm off topic.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I'm stuck on the first level of the Realm of....Reapers? Or whatever those magical three whatchamacallits are. Needless to say it's been a few years since I played. e_e; And on the second one, I can't get past Anyanka and her little demons that beat up bunnies. :/ Again, been a few years. XD
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Buffy vs Freddy

I can't wait!
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog

Post by Kogashi »

Wasn't there already a Nightmare episode of Buffy that was far superior to any Freddy movie cause the nightmares were actually like dreams?

Return to “TV”