EXTERMINATE
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W / GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger

Re: Doctor Who / Torchwood

Post by harpdevil »

I foresee many Apple iDalek spoofs in the near future...
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

bbc.co.uk wrote:Plan to make a US version of the Doctor who spin-off Torchwood have been put on ice after TV network Fox pulled out.

In a statement, BBC Worldwide said both companies had "mutually agreed not to progress together with a 13-episode serialized Torchwood format".

However, the BBC said discussions with other networks were continuing and plans to get the show made for US audiences were still in the pipeline.

The sci-fi drama, starring John Barrowman, has been a hit in the UK.

The show, which follows a group of secret agents battling human and alien enemies, began life on BBC Three in 2006.

It proved so popular that it was moved to BBC Two - and attracted another ratings boost when a third series was shown on BBC One last year.

However, the last move resulted in the series being cut from 13 episodes to five - allowing a single continuing story to be stripped across a week of programmes.

At the time, Barrowman criticised the decision, saying he felt like the show was "being punished".
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by harpdevil »

Good news that the US version has been canceled for now, but was Torchwood really as popular as they make out? Also, I thought they stripped season 3 down to 5 episodes to give the production staff a break, like they did with Doctor Who. Whatever they were doing, season 3 was by far the best, and season 2 had Captain John!
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

OK, I understand US pace is that you just saw River Song return - the UK is two episodes ahead and just had Vampires in Venice yesterday. Anyone got opinions on those episodes?
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Personally, I am not that found of this new Doctor Who season... It just... Aside from having the Doctor and the TARDIS, and some of the aliens from the previous series, it feels like a different show it just, doesn't have that Doctor Who feel... And when did River Song turn into a James Bond type girl? I mean, it was a nice touch to have them meet at a different order and all but still...

And that's not even with me going into my problems with the previous for the US (Victory for the Daleks) episode with the Color Coding Daleks with different titles/roles I mean what the hell!?
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

When I saw those Daleks, I thought Power Rangers. I also saw a newspaper refer to them as Teletubbies, for the same reason. Apparently Moffat made the decision because that's how they looked in the Peter Cushing movies.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog

Post by Kogashi »

Because someone had done it before doesn't make it a good choice ><; it just looked tacky, and Doctor Who is not tacky... It may be really cheesy a lot of the time but not tacky ><;
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by harpdevil »

It was the second Angel episode that annoyed me.
There were bits I didn't get at all. You can have your eyes closed and walk like you can see and they will still be stone? No, it's an innate defense mechanism that's hard-wired in, they have no control over it. If you can't see them, they are going to kill you. Dumb. And they were eating up radiation? They live on the potential time you lose when they send you into the past. AND WE SAW THEM MOVE!? Moffat broke every rule he established in Blink and I don't know why.
They have their hands over their eyes so that they don't look at one another and stay locked in stone, yet there were 100s of them this time around all with their eye uncovered.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog

Post by Kogashi »

...Yeah... This was insane... I've now gotten to the point that I no longer care. I don't care that 'time is running out', I don't care that the Doctor was caught by his coat yet let completely alone. I don't care that these angels for some reason was killing people by snapping their necks. I don't care that the universe might end because no one remembers the giant Cyberman in Victorian London or that the world was stolen by the Daleks... I no longer care.

I will however continue to watch in hopes that once a writer or the Doctor changes, things will go in such a way that I will care again... I personally have faith that the series will get better, because this so far has been god awful since 10 left.
Deka_Hero
Humongous
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Quote: I DEMAND THINGS TO BE AWESOME! - Michel Bay

Post by Deka_Hero »

Just use the MST3K mantra, Turn off your brain and enjoy the ride.

It's no fun just sitting there picking apart the narrative and overanalyzing it's importance to the larger canon. Just watch it for the pretty colors!
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by harpdevil »

Deka_Hero wrote:Just use the MST3K mantra, Turn off your brain and enjoy the ride.

It's no fun just sitting there picking apart the narrative and overanalyzing it's importance to the larger canon. Just watch it for the pretty colors!
But I don't want to just watch the pretty colours, Doctor Who is better than that! And I dont think i was being overly picky, those were glaring plot points that came up while i was watching the show and spoilt my enjoyment of it. I'm certainly not saying the whole series is bad, just that really got to me. Moffat's Who is certainly different and some times it hits and some times misses. The last episode for instance was great, with a twist that gave it an analytical edge that you missed while watching. It was infinitely more interesting because of that.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog

Post by Kogashi »

While just saying to myself 'it's just a show I should really just relax' I'm not getting annoyed about science facts on a comedy/sci-fi parody...

Really, it comes down to me missing Russle T Davis or however you spell the previous head writer and director's name.
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

Russell T Davies. :)

A first for Doctor Who tonight. Vincent and the Doctor raised the issue of depression and suicide, regarding Vincent Van Gogh, so they put an Action Line phone number and web address up during the end credits!
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/06/07/starz-acquires-torchwood/ wrote:Captain Jack is back — and Starz has him!

The cable net has acquired U.S. television rights to the next installment of Torchwood. The 10-episode cycle is slated to air in summer 2011 on both Starz (in the U.S.) and BBC One (in the UK).

The new episodes will take on more of an international feel. Several new characters are expected to come on board, joining franchise vets John Barrowman and Eve Myles
this can only be good news,

Starz have done an awesome job with Spartacus, will be interesting to see how this all pans out, but at least they arnt remaking it.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!

Return to “TV”