The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Re: Doctor Who / Torchwood

Post by XIII »

More Doctor Who goodness,

yesterday an animated film was show, i havent seen it yet, but it is based on david tenants doctor and voiced by him

should be good fun
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Deka_Hero
Humongous
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Quote: I DEMAND THINGS TO BE AWESOME! - Michel Bay

Post by Deka_Hero »

Just saw Waters of Mars.
Damn, that was one hell of a ending, no matter what the doctor does, things just don't turn out all that sunny do they?

The Base and most of the people stilled died and resulted in the same future, the only difference was that the captain died of her own hands on earth and the hot asian chick and the other guy survived.

The Doctor may be the Time Lord Victorious, but even he has his end...................

On a Different Note, if there are any Canadian Who fans here, SPACE is gonna be showing a Marathon of the Who special's (The Next Doctor, Planet of the Dead, Waters of Mars) ending with the premiere of "The End of Time" part's 1 & 2 back to back on Jan. 2nd.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Well, as the old saying goes... I fought the time laws, and the time laws won.

But really, he could not have asked for a better episode to star in even if he could think of one. That was an epic episode... Though now I'm paranoid about water ^^;
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Triple M
Destron Emperor
Favorite series: Destron
2nd Favorite Series: Destron
Dreamy: Destron
Favorite Actor?: Destron
Favorite Band: Destron
My boom: Destron
Quote: *HAIL DESTRON*
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Triple M »

waters of mars was cool, i like how mars is home to the ice warriors, the waters of mars guys, sutekh's prison, 'satan', and i'm sure there are four or five others, four to doomsday for the win
Deka_Hero
Humongous

Post by Deka_Hero »

I liked these episodes, it was a fitting send off for the Tenth.
Emotional, action packed and just overall great.

The Doc. final goodbyes to his companions was heart-wrenching to say the least.

But the Regen-Kaboom was mega awesome sauce!
Too bad he's still not Ginger........

Here's to the eleventh!
Triple M
Destron Emperor
Favorite series: Destron
2nd Favorite Series: Destron
Dreamy: Destron
Favorite Actor?: Destron
Favorite Band: Destron
My boom: Destron
Quote: *HAIL DESTRON*
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Triple M »

As usual, Russel T Davies throws logic out the door and everything thing else inside another bloated, ranting, nonsensical, beyond-epic-to-the-point-of-pointlessness shit final episode. Tennant was a great actor and I liked him as the man himself but I found the scripts if not the stories he found himself in were more often than not trite, extremely cheesy, and ill-developed adventure stories for people who know nothing about Doctor Who. Now, don't get me wrong, Timmy Dalton as Time Lord #1 was great, but just like the Daleks every single time they show up the Time Lords didn't really do anything, not to mention The Master being written out and completely pussified, the Time Lords are defeated by the Doctor shooting some crap metal box and they just totally vanish along with the Master and everything they did, Donna gets her Time Lord half brain back and vortex zaps a bunch of Masters and collapses on the street and OH MY GOD IT WAS SO SO IMPORTANT THAT THAT NEVER EVER EVER HAPPENED BECAUSE DONNA WOULD DIE SO, SO HORRIBLY BUT OH WOW!!!!!! AT THE END SHE WAS ALIVE AND GETTING MARRIED HOOOOOOORAY!!!!! Did I mention that the Doctor went to see Rose the night before she met the Ninth Doctor but she never once not ever said anything about it to the Tenth Doctor once she saw him regenerate? Oh, how about that JUST WONDERFUL ROCKET CHASE OVER THE SEA AGAINST THE ICBM'S THAT WAS LIKE TEH MILLENIUM FALCON??!?!!?! The tops for me of course was how Captain Jack just had such a hard time getting a date in the FUCKING STAR WARS BAR?!!???!?!!??! that the Doctor had to introduce him to the GUY WHO WAS FLYING THE SPACE TITANIC1/!??2/1//11/ I look forward most excitedly to the Moffat/Smith era and hope that they return the show to at least something resembling the single most fucking awesome tripped out low-budget European space fantasy show that the world will ever see. Thanks
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W / GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger

Post by harpdevil »

I agree that Russell's writing has been getting more and more ridiculous, but I enjoyed the 10th's departure from the series. And now that we have Stephen Moffat at the helm - who puts the lord in Timelord - I can only be even more excited.

It was amazing to see Rassilon as well, doing some major damage with the Hand of Omega. And The Doctor's mother! I assume the other with hands over his face was his father, so three people I really wasn't expecting to see at all. I'm so glad they weren't spoilt or leaked in the press as so often happens. The Master was fantastic as well, John Simm really cut a wound into his character and let it bleed everywhere. When he was firing (artron?) energy at Rassilon, counting to four and the music rose, it really felt like The Master's character had reached a conclusion to his story that began 40-odd years ago, Russell T should be commended for that.

Now, new season preview. I don't really want to see the weeping angels coming back as they were so brilliant before, it might feel like a lesser sequel. Also, I'm already fed up of 'geronimo', that's a terrible catch-phrase. As for the 11th himself, well, I'm not going to pass judgement till I have seen him in a few episodes. I wasn't too keen of David Tennant immediately after his regeneration, and not sure of him even after the xmas special and first episode. It takes time to settle into the character, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Matt Smith comes up with.
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
Deka_Hero
Humongous

Post by Deka_Hero »

Well.....FOX is making a American version of Torchwood:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... a3f94da557

Fox developing U.S. version of 'Torchwood'
Original producing team on board to adapt U.K. series
By James Hibberd

Jan 19, 2010, 10:00 AM ET

"Torchwood"

Huge news for sci-fi fans: Fox is developing a stateside version of the U.K. hit series "Torchwood."

The project is from BBC Worldwide Prods., with original series creator Russell Davies writing the script.

A more straight-faced spinoff of "Doctor Who," "Torchwood" is about a covert group that investigates and fights alien activity. Two series aired domestically on BBC America as well as last year's well reviewed stand-alone miniseries, "Children of Earth," which broke all ratings records for the network.

Unlike U.S. adaptations that have gone awry, "Torchwood" fans can take comfort that the original producing team is on board. In addition to Davies, exec producers include Davies' producing partner Julie Gardner (former head of drama at BBC Wales for the show's first season) and Jane Tranter (another BBC vet, now exec vp programming and production at BBC Worldwide Prods. in the U.S.).

Also, some of the current cast -- most likely John Barrowman, who plays the immortal Capt. Jack Harkness -- might star if Fox orders "Torchwood" to pilot.

As for the new show's plot, the U.S. version will contain a global story line compared to the more localized sensibility of the first two BBC seasons.

Tranter might try to reboot "Doctor Who" for U.S. audiences while departing "Doctor Who" star David Tennant stars in NBC's pilot "Rex Is Not Your Lawyer." "Torchwood" (which is an anagram of "Doctor Who") debuted in 2006 on BBC 3 and set ratings records, then was moved to BBC 1. Russell also reinvented "Doctor Who" in 2003 and was writer-creator of the series "Queer as Folk."
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by harpdevil »

Right, a few things then.

The project is from BBC Worldwide Prods., with original series creator Russell Davies writing the script.
So this is why the move to America and talk about the differences between UK and US production. Russell is very aware that there are very different production values, don't expect it to be the same show.

A more straight-faced spinoff of "Doctor Who," "Torchwood" is about a covert group that investigates and fights alien activity. Two series aired domestically on BBC America as well as last year's well reviewed stand-alone miniseries, "Children of Earth," which broke all ratings records for the network.

Unlike U.S. adaptations that have gone awry, "Torchwood" fans can take comfort that the original producing team is on board. In addition to Davies, exec producers include Davies' producing partner Julie Gardner (former head of drama at BBC Wales for the show's first season) and Jane Tranter (another BBC vet, now exec vp programming and production at BBC Worldwide Prods. in the U.S.).
It's true that the first two series were lackluster, but the third really pulled it out of the bag. I think the team behind Torchwood have discovered what kind of show they want it to be now, and hopefully they'll be starting from this position when adapting the series in the US.

Also, some of the current cast -- most likely John Barrowman, who plays the immortal Capt. Jack Harkness -- might star if Fox orders "Torchwood" to pilot.
If this happens, it's going to be confusing. Jack Harkness, played by the same person. So, is this a continuation of the story we know? Or a complete reimagining? If we're starting fresh, what does that mean for the previous UK seasons? Put simply, what is canon? This adaptation will be separate from Doctor Who, but Cptn Jack and John Barrowman certainly are not.

Tranter might try to reboot "Doctor Who" for U.S. audiences while departing "Doctor Who" star David Tennant stars in NBC's pilot "Rex Is Not Your Lawyer."
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. Doctor Who is a British institution, and everyone I know who in the US who watches it loves it for its britishness and the way we tell stories in our shows. Look at The Italian Job, look at Life on Mars, look at Queer As Folk, it just wont work and shouldn't work. Torchwood could work because some of the original team will be working on the adaptation, and Torchwood was always meant to be a big, American-style action show. Doctor Who isn't about some amazing impervious hero doing battle and coming out victorious over terrifying enemies, flying around in an incredible time machine. The Doctor is not a hero, he's a bloke doing what needs to be done while traveling around in his clapped-out old banger. THAT'S what makes him a hero, that's what makes him relatable. It's an archetype that is distinctly british, and I have yet to see it portrayed in American shows. The difference between American and British style heroes and TV shows is the difference between Doctor Who and Star Trek.

"Torchwood" (which is an anagram of "Doctor Who")
Although strangely enough Russell says this was a complete accident, and only discovered the anagram after fans pointed it out to him
[/quote]
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by harpdevil »

Right! New new series for a new new Doctor! Discuss. No spoilers please.

Obviously it's far too early to pass any kind of judgement, but It's looking good so far. First episodes are always a bit funny because the actors are new to their roles, and hell, pretty much everything is new in this season. I'll talk about some of those new things when people have had a chance to watch the episode.
XIII
The Conspiracy

Post by XIII »

new op and end not sure on, music is intereting, graphics are cool

new doctor, hard to say, need more eps to tell
new assistant, hmmmmmm
new eating habit, disgusting
new tardis, well, i really dont know
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by harpdevil »

It's not a bad episode by any means, and got even better on the second viewing.
lostinbrave
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by lostinbrave »

Curse you all. :cry: I'm on a trip and can't watch it, curse you all.
ImageImage
XIII
The Conspiracy

Post by XIII »

/me mocks frostie lostie
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by harpdevil »

I cannot believe how good the Doctor is in only episode two, his character has grown exponentially in just one episode.
Spoiler
The sign that says 'magpie electricals'! The demon headmaster! The smilers! The phone call!

Oh, also, DW 'interactive episode' videogames?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/ ... _announced

The screenshots don't look particularly like the usual 'watch a cutscene, choose an option' fare

Return to “TV”