Red Dwarf IX - Could it be true

There's never anything good on
oddjob
Humongous
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Ultraman Nexus
Quote: "Giving up" is what kills people.

It is only when a person refuses to give up no matter what that they earn the right of walking down humanity's noble pathway.

Re: Red Dwarf IX - Could it be true

Post by oddjob »

This show looks interesting, maybe it will be another one of my favourite British shows alongside Monty Python and Black Adder .

I will look further into it.

Thanks!
Ehmar
7X
Favorite series: All KR series!!
2nd Favorite Series: Garo/Gundam00
My boom: My Toy Collection

Post by Ehmar »

Was it worth the wait? Only found out about it last week...
But was it awesome? Oh aye!!

Actually, because of these 3 eps, I just bought th boxset so I can see all the eps again
:)
"Henshin..."
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Finished part 3 last night. I can't help missing a lot of the stuff from the past that aren't present in the series, but overall I'm glad to get more Red Dwarf. I kind of wish episode 2 and 3 had taken place in space. The back to Earth plot with everyone reacting to them felt like the same joke (hey, look at the people dressed up like the Red Dwarf character!). But the ending brought it full circle, and the references to old lines and past story arcs, even the promise of a new quest was pretty cool.
KamenRiderKnives
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Amazon
2nd Favorite Series: Decade
Dreamy: Natsumi Hikari
Favorite Actor?: Takanori Kikuchi
Favorite Band: Jonzun Crew
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: pantsu

Post by KamenRiderKnives »

i found this to be a very poor :( , having watched Red Dwarf from the original broadcast of the 1st season i feel each season has not been as good as the one before (with the exception of the season without Rimmer as a regular crew member, which was REALLY bad), so i wasnt expecting too much. i did think that with it being just the 4 main Dwarfers and a very limited budget that the glory days of seasons 1 and 2 might be re-created but i was sorely disapointed. I found the bit with the kids on the bus embaressing, the Blade Runner pastiche was over-long and akward (and not funny) worst of all it simply wasnt funny, i did no more than a chuckle a couple of times in each episode. Blackadder suffered similarly with its special "Back and Fourth" episode which came after an 11 year wait and was also not very funny. In both cases i blame the writers, all of whom have clearly "lost it", Richard Curtis stopped being actually funny and became mainstream funny (i.e. the sort of thing your mum, dad or gran would laugh at), Ben Elton sold-out (and stopped being funny at all!) Doug Naylor isnt half as good without Rob Grant and anyway it was getting very repetitive during seasons 5 and 6 so id guess thats when they run out of ideas... all in all very disapointing and most definatly NOT worth the wait, having said that i was suprised that they didnt drag Duane Dibbley out AGAIN but that was a pleasant surprise after the tragedy of series 8s "Dibbley family" :oops: :| :mrgreen: :idea: :roll: :) :D :lol: :wink: :idea:
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

Dam it, the Dibbley family was awesome, S7 was when Rimmer departed to become Ace Rimmer

now I'm going to eat you little fishy
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
KamenRiderKnives
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

hmmmmm... i wonder if its an age thing? the people i know who watched it from series 1 or 2 generally agree that series four was the last good series, the people i know who like the later series (5 onwards) tend to have started watching from around series 3,4 or 5. i liked it more when it was a comedy series with sci-fi elements but it found became a sc-fi series with comdey elements. eg Blue Midget was comedy (play on words, juxtaposition with the massive Dwarf) with sci-fi elements (short range transport) but Starbug was sci-fi (the name, the special effects, the guns etc) with comedy elements (unfortunatly i couldnt think of anything funny about Starbug), oh and the guns (Bazookoids?)... big guns are pure sci-fi, for comedy they should have either been really tiny but powerful guns, or really big but useless guns. Still i guess they wanted to do something different than the sci-fi comedy of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (in which the guns are more like this) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :) :)
zhangfei923
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Post by zhangfei923 »

I loved it! I was soo stoked when I first found out this was happening. Once a smeghead, always a smeghead. It's quite funny because this is one of my favorite british shows, and I came across it accidently. I used to record episodes of "Flying Circus" on BBC America, and I would set the recording to end a bit after the show. Well, Red Dwarf just happened to air right after, and I started watching, and I laughed my ass off. I loved it, and I sought out Series I-IV on VHS. I do think near one point, I had the entire series on VHS. I then bought them on DVD.

But getting back, these specials were great! And while I missed the laugh track, it didn't affect my view on the show at all.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Knives, can you knock it off with the row of smilies at the end? This isn't a board for 10 year old children

I honestly couldn't say which seasons I liked, I have to admit I haven't seen them all yet. I wasn't really disappointed, but I didn't have very high hopes in the first place

I vaguely remember Blackadder back and forth to be actually kind of funny.
Gunzy
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Ryukendo
Dreamy: Sayaka Isoyama
Favorite Band: Clazziquai
My boom: Video Games
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Gunzy »

I always liked Are You Being Served? It was some good stuff.
ImageImage
KamenRiderKnives
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

takenoko wrote:Knives, can you knock it off with the row of smilies at the end? This isn't a board for 10 year old children

I vaguely remember Blackadder back and forth to be actually kind of funny.
sorry :( (i like smileys)

yeah Blackadder Back and Fourth was kind of funny but just not as funny as Blackadder 2,3 or 4.

dosnt anyone feel kinda Indiana Jones about it though? it came years too late when no-one really wanted it anymore and while it was OK it wasnt nearlly as good as it USED to be. im glad to see the Dwarf actors getting a bit of money but i just think that Naylor hasnt done anything else apart from Red Dwarf (i know he writes sci-fi novels, but sales for them must come mostly fromDwarf fans??) and his writing partner left, it just seems that Doug Naylor is being a bit George Lucas, i mean there has already been the Red Dwarf 'special editions' debacle which was the same as the star wars special editions debacle. Just like i didnt want to see Indiana Jones as an old man in a flying saucer movie i didnt want to see Lister, cat and Rimmer as old men driving a smart car
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, I feel some of that, but if they make more Red Dwarf, I'll be sure to watch. Hopefully something longer than 3 episodes and more funnier
Squizz
Infinity
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live

Post by Squizz »

I really really enjoyed it, it didn't give answers and it should never have been cut into three parts, but it was full with inside jokes, I think that why it wasnt as funny as original Dwarf for people, there was a lot of jokes about the cast as well as the normal stuff, even though Doug Naylor missed a trick and Rimmer should have got that Space Corp Directive right.

Doug Naylor isn't George Lucas by a long shot :lol: they've wanted to make more Dwarf since it ended, they had plans for a movie but no one would fund it, then the BBC refused to fund a new series, so it's been on the cards as they'd say. I hope for more dwarf, and there hardly old men, I think times been rather kind to all of them. These eps were a nice balance between homage but still turned out to be dwarf in the end. I so desperately want more as well, Dave is already better than the bbc because its like the bbc in its glory years XD
KamenRiderKnives
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

i dunno, i guess its a bit like a band reunion/reformation isnt it, i mean when bands reform its never as good as it used to be, for some people it spoils the memory, for others they are glad to see their fave band playin and recording new material together. and i suppose it for the fans anyway although the advertsing for the dvd in part 3 was pretty cringeworthy, i mean is it really necessary to advertise the dvd DURING the program, couldnt they have waited until the end to say "availabe on dvd from..."? :? :shock:
AeonRanger
Robo's Birthday
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Chou Sei Shin
Dreamy: Sayaka Isoyama
Favorite Actor?: Inuoe Masahrio
Favorite Band: Tetra-Fang
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: HENSHIN

Post by AeonRanger »

you know i was actually looking forward to this it got so much hype but when it aired i was smegging dissapointed. It didn't feel like red dwarf without the stuido audience in the background it was to serious there was some bits that i laughed at but not much really. and i wanted to see holly again best character in red dwarf if you ask me and why was there so much reference to blade runner in it all and all it didn't do justice to the series.

ohh but you know what we should do we should start a theme tune wave can we can we alright i'll go first:
It's cold outside there's no kind of atmosphere...
Tensou - Let me count the number of your crimes

Return to “TV”