Favorite series: KS7, Ultraman, KR
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai Series
Dreamy: Yumi Sugimoto
Favorite Band: Orange Range
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: mouse-clicking

Re: Mei-chan no Shitsuji

Post by monritche »

Mind if I ask? Does the live action stuck closely to the plot with the manga? I just finished watching it, and it felt lacking. For a person not having read the manga, I feel lost somehow. Other than the toku actors there, the drive to continue past episode 4 because Mayuko Iwasa is there.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

noxid wrote:oh and I feel like I've seen the white haired butler somewhere... does he star in any toku?
Mukai Osamu doesn't have anything on his profile that I'm familiar with, but DramaWiki doesn't include toku roles for a lot of the actors, so it's possible he's been in something. I think he looks pretty familiar too . . .
monritche wrote:Does the live action stuck closely to the plot with the manga? I just finished watching it, and it felt lacking. For a person not having read the manga, I feel lost somehow.
Manga Fox has it up, but I got about 3 pages in before the heroine's cuteness just ruined it for me. It was far more interesting with the adorable awkwardness. (Also, I may be a little biased in my love for Sato Takeru, Kato Keisuke and Takagi Manpei, the latter two of which only got bit parts. *sniff*)
monritche
Imouto Rider Club
Imouto Rider Club
Favorite series: KS7, Ultraman, KR
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai Series
Dreamy: Yumi Sugimoto
Favorite Band: Orange Range
My boom: mouse-clicking

Post by monritche »

Thanks for the link on the manga version Lunagel, I'll try reading them if can insert time.

Well I just felt that the show rigidly followed the manga, as if it was made frame-by-frame and forgot it was an adaptation for tv. Doesn't feel seamless as Hana Kimi to me.

Good point on this live action drama is Hiro's Tendou-ish character, however he has some restraint since he get himself a master to serve. He's entrance on the first episode is just the same as the first episode in Kabuto with the suns shines against him, which is cool.
pokute
Infinity

Post by pokute »

Ugh. This show is just so... Ugh.

But my daughter REALLY likes it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Just finished watching the show. Was busy and I was waiting for TLS subs (I think softsubs are pretty stupid)

First, I'd like to thank TLS for the overall quality of their work. That said, I agree with Lunagel about wishing some of the phrasing of the sentences were better. When I mentioned this, Ais mentioned that the only QCers were the project leads, so what can you do, I guess?

I like shoujo stories, so I really enjoyed this series. Rose was adorable. I'm a little confused as to why Kento thinks he has any chance with being with Mei since she obvious prefers Rihito. I guess I'm the only one that liked the ending. It was just funny to see all the guys running after Mei, and having the classmates show up to stop them. Still don't understand the motivations of froggy grandfather
Aoiblue wrote:
Arigomi wrote:Said stuff
wow, 4 words. seriously, First, just be glad they subbed it. Secondly,you said about the names of the rank not having a translator's note ( you probably meant this right?), meaning that it wasnt mentioned in the show. I doubt that the japanese viewers know what it means, and they still watch it.
What's with the defensiveness? It's not your show. Plus that's a pretty poor attitude from a QCer. It's not like he was bashing them. He was just simply making a comment about something he thought was wrong

I did mention it on TLS' website, but I never went back to check their reaction. But if you go back to episode one you can see the Luna, Sole, and Ombra are hardsubbed by the Japanese (these are the Italian spellings of the same words). So it turns out that was right after all. Edit: Ah, I see I was ninja'd by Caitlin

Personally I think it's kind of funny watching this show who don't usually watch shoujo
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Just finished as well.

Overall, well done, though a couple scenes were obviously milked for drama far past the cow's expiration date. The ending was so saccharine it made me puke sugar and I felt that somewhere in the middle it lost the charm and funny it had shown the beginning. So nothing mind-blowingly life-changingly awesome, but still worth the time.

Also, I find that if I just imagine every scene with Rihito and Mame Shiba as a meeting between Kabuto and Den-O, it becomes much more amusing.
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

Lunagel wrote:
Also, I find that if I just imagine every scene with Rihito and Mame Shiba as a meeting between Kabuto and Den-O, it becomes much more amusing.
Yup. And I had to laugh when it's Kabuto who won...I mean it's clear that she chose Rihito so. Ha!

Yeah, this show isn't bad. It's good for days when you just want shows that's lighthearted.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
caitlin
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite Actor?: Ikuta Toma
Favorite Band: Ringo Shiina
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Twin Peaks

Post by caitlin »

I am rather... stealthy. 8)
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Gah, I've been meaning to comment on this (and about six other shows). Anyway, fun show! Terribly unrealistic, but still fun. I enjoyed playing the tokusatsu version of "Where's Waldo" with the cast - I think I got everyone too, although it wasn't until episode 9 that I had a clear identification for Natsuki. Also, I kept thinking that Rose and Mei's Aunt was double-cast and that's why she looked so familiar - it finally clicked that the familiarity was because she was Swan.

Hiro Mizushima was good for the male lead, but he hasn't changed a bit since Kabuto and the characters had a very similar feel to them. I think someone else said something along the same lines, but I kept expecting to hear him spout Tendou's "walking the path of heaven" catchphrase or have some comment about how he was able to accomplish his butlering chores so quickly thanks to a clock up.

Mei was okay. Good for the lead (heroine?) of the story. Unfortunately the romance scenes, especially the ones between Mei and Rihoto, were some of the most comical scenes in the series to me. I didn't see any chemistry between the two. Chemistry was much better between Mei and Shibata, but that could be because they felt a lot closer in age. (Also, having jumped from Mei-chan to Den-O, I am currently in awe of Sato Takeru as an actor. But more on that if I ever get around to posting comments about Den-O.)

The number of flashbacks to prior episodes in every episode was kind of surprising and a little disappointing - did they not have enough script to fill up the whole hour?

As for the ending, I loved the moments spotlighting each of the classmates, particularly where Izumi had to be the one to defeat the oncoming guards rather than her butler. Overall, the ending was unrealistic even within the context of the story. Didn't the grandfather disinherit his song for not conforming to the family lifestyle - and he's suddenly proud of his granddaughter for making a spectacle of the family values on (inter)national television? It's possible that the death of his son changed his perspective on what's important in life, but that's a reach. It didn't ruin the ending for me, but it didn't help.

Oh, and Tami is one crazy kid. I'd hate to have to live with her.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I kind of disagree about Hiro though. He's definitely a lot better at the acting thing now than when he was in Kabuto. At least the dramatic scenes where he pretended to freak out as Rihito seemed more realistic than when he was worried about his little sisters
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

PHurricane wrote:Unfortunately the romance scenes, especially the ones between Mei and Rihoto, were some of the most comical scenes in the series to me. I didn't see any chemistry between the two. Chemistry was much better between Mei and Shibata, but that could be because they felt a lot closer in age.
I agree. I wanted Mei and Shibata to get together, but it was pretty obvious that Shibata was just the boy-next-door subplot.
PHurricane wrote:(Also, having jumped from Mei-chan to Den-O, I am currently in awe of Sato Takeru as an actor. But more on that if I ever get around to posting comments about Den-O.)
I was also pretty impressed with Sato. He keeps switching characters so rapidly yet I end up loving every single one of them.
caitlin

Post by caitlin »

Man, you guys keep saying "Shibata" but both Rihito and Kento are Shibatas. You can't call one Rihito and the other Shibata. That could be the same person. :(
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Ehh, the series usually refers to Shibata Rihito as "Rihito", and Shibata Kento as either "Mameshiba" or "Shibata" with only the rare interjection of "Kento" made by Rihito. Actually, I don't remember anyone calling Rihito as "Shibata" in the series.

Anyway, as long as you know who we're talking about, it's all good, right? XD
caitlin

Post by caitlin »

Rihito is pretty often referred to as Shibata Rhitio. I mean, sure I'll give you Mameshiba instead of Kento, but Shibata, nope!

That's the thing, I WASN'T sure who they were just discussing half of the time.
Aoiblue
Everything is drama!
Favorite series: Trick
Dreamy: Haga Yuria
My boom: Gransazer

Post by Aoiblue »

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Television_Dr ... -Apr-22.29

............This show won best drama?! D:

Return to “TV”