Let's see who else is up in chat:
TV-Nihon's chat
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: New Sailor Moon Ep 1 is out now

Post by Lunagel »

I enjoyed the episode though I haven't watched with the subtitles yet. Apparently they leave something to be desired. Makes me want to translate it myself but I just know they're going to come down like the hammer of Thor on anyone subbing it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Well, the animations better and it's a more faithful adaptation to the manga, but I don't see how this is better than the original anime. I don't really like the opening or ending songs and it just didn't feel as hearty as the original, but that could be nostalgia glasses.

But man, the translations were awful. The translator is obviously Japanese since there was no nuance in the English. They'd split up sentences unnecessarily and all the subs seemed like they had a 5 or 6 max word on-screen limit.

The new transformation looks like Usagi is wearing panties. The leotard from before seemed more clean to me. Maybe it was the lack of details?

I guess it is only the first episode. Hopefully Ami being around will make things more interesting.

Is it airing every week? I'll probably be up at this time anyway, so maybe we can meet up and watch it live.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Every two weeks.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Ehhhhh. It's not a *bad* translation. It's not *wrong* per se. It's just missing a lot of the details and a lot of it is definitely not the way a native speaker would phrase it. I assume that it'll get another person translating it before we see a US DVD release. It's okay for the day-of broadcast but I'd be ashamed to ask someone to pay for them.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

It was pretty good to me but probably a modern remix version of the original OP might be better. I do like the animation style being more like a shoujo manga. I would have to recall this but the manga just moves at a quicker pace and doesn't downplay the other four Senshi compared to the original anime did.

I'm curious what service did you watch it on because I saw the Crunchyroll version of it.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Phoenix512 wrote:I'm curious what service did you watch it on because I saw the Crunchyroll version of it.
I used Hulu, since after Crunchy's countdown, it refused to load for me.
Anyways, ignoring the TL issues, I thought the episode was okay. And I do like how they just had Jadiete here rather than try to shove every Dark Kingdom villain in at once, should make for tighter pacing over the show's course.

That said, it's gonna be a long 2 weeks till the next one. :<
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I watched the hulu version. I had to reload it a few times because it'd freeze during the ads. I eventually disabled adblock plus for hulu and it worked fine.

The translations were bad to passable at best. Lines like "Cat can talk?" and "the Evil is out!" makes them sound like cavemen. I'm sure if I had you sit down to qc this, you'd have a hell of a time not replacing the majority of it.
Kamen Rider Raven
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Shotaro
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Kamen Rider Raven »

Phoenix512 wrote:It was pretty good to me but probably a modern remix version of the original OP might be better. I do like the animation style being more like a shoujo manga. I would have to recall this but the manga just moves at a quicker pace and doesn't downplay the other four Senshi compared to the original anime did.

I'm curious what service did you watch it on because I saw the Crunchyroll version of it.
Just my opinion, but I'm glad they didn't do a remix of Moonlight Densetsu. This is a new thing so it's gonna want to be separate from the original anime, like PGSM was.

I knew it would be faithful to the manga, but I didn't know it would be almost scene for scene, even down to Usagi griping about Umino in the same way. I haven't read the first chapter in over a decade but it all came flooding back watching this. I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of the series.

That henshin sequence though.......eh.....I didn't hate it and the CGI didn't really bother me, but did it seem a little too long, or is that just me?
daburuwosagase
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Fourze
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "But they didn't know that this Majide is MADE OF DEKIRU and I will tsubusu you! I will tsubusu and TAOSU you!!"

Post by daburuwosagase »

Kamen Rider Raven wrote:That henshin sequence though.......eh.....I didn't hate it and the CGI didn't really bother me, but did it seem a little too long, or is that just me?
It's longer than toku henshins, but it's fairly short for a magical girl henshin. I do think the animation could have been better, but the Make Up part was pretty damn cool. Definitely seeing some musical parallels between it and some other transformations too.

On the whole, the episode was an extremely strict interpretation. I hope that it does stray from the manga a little to give it some unique aspects, but not as much as PGSM did. Very pretty animation, especially those end cards. A little sad that the character designs weren't altered that much, but what they did to Mamoru was great. Mamoru is fabulous: the sunglasses, the tuxedo, and the actually visible pocket watch thing. Can't wait to how Ami's been modernized, if at all.

The voice cast is on the whole pretty great. Mitsuishi's voice is a tad annoying at times but it's better than the original anime. While I wish Furuya would reprise his role as Tuxedo Mask, the new seiyuu keeps a lot of his character. Jadeite is sounding and looking pretty good, can't wait to see how the rest of the Shitennou will be... though if it's closer to the manga, they'll probably have a lot less time.

ED is not that memorable, but really none of the ones from the original anime were. The OP isn't as identifiable as Moonlight Densetsu, but that will change with time. The lyrics are so much better though. Not this pansy stuff about being anxious and wanting to talk to her bf, Sailor Moon is a girl who kicks ass and don't need no man to help her do so.
Kamen Rider Raven
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Shotaro
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Kamen Rider Raven »

daburuwosagase wrote:
Kamen Rider Raven wrote:That henshin sequence though.......eh.....I didn't hate it and the CGI didn't really bother me, but did it seem a little too long, or is that just me?
It's longer than toku henshins, but it's fairly short for a magical girl henshin. I do think the animation could have been better, but the Make Up part was pretty damn cool. Definitely seeing some musical parallels between it and some other transformations too.
I wasn't comparing it to toku henshins but to the original henshin from the first anime. I watched them side by side. It's about maybe 3-6 seconds longer. It's not a huge deal and I'm sure I'll get used to it.
ED is not that memorable, but really none of the ones from the original anime were. The OP isn't as identifiable as Moonlight Densetsu, but that will change with time. The lyrics are so much better though. Not this pansy stuff about being anxious and wanting to talk to her bf, Sailor Moon is a girl who kicks ass and don't need no man to help her do so.
It fits considering the source material. Original Anime SM is all about love and healing. She'll extend her hand in friendship to you despite what you've done. Manga SM will kick your ass, blow you away and worry about questions some other time. She might need Mamoru's encouragement from time to time but she sure as hell doesn't need his protection. One reason why I love her Manga version so much.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Kamen Rider Raven wrote:It fits considering the source material. Original Anime SM is all about love and healing. She'll extend her hand in friendship to you despite what you've done. Manga SM will kick your ass, blow you away and worry about questions some other time. She might need Mamoru's encouragement from time to time but she sure as hell doesn't need his protection. One reason why I love her Manga version so much.
Agreed to the max.

Loved the new take on Sailor Moon's Sonic Cry, and I enjoyed the new animation for the Tiara attack too.

Two things bothered me, other than the butchered translations. "Mama no baka" wasn't really translated. Usagi was rude and called her mom an idiot for not waking her up sooner.
Also, "Moon Tiara Boomerang" irks me. It's supposed to be "Moon Frisbee!" I don't care what PGSM did, as it was a different adaptation.

And isn't Tuxedo Mask's voice actor the same? Could've sworn I saw something that said he and Kotono reprised their roles.

Any idea if the other seasons will be brought to this new anime?
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Toru Furuya isn't voicing Mamoru in this version.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Saejima Kouga wrote: Also, "Moon Tiara Boomerang" irks me. It's supposed to be "Moon Frisbee!" I don't care what PGSM did, as it was a different adaptation.
To be fair, it was only ever in the manga and it wasn't that cool of a name. It was always Moon Tiara Action in the anime and then PGSM did Boomerang. The reprints of the manga even change it to Boomerang.

Moon Frisbee was a pretty 90s name even in the 90s.
Strykor
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkengers
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Quote: Ever have one of those flashbacks...

Post by Strykor »

I'm just glad Viz got the rights to the 90's series and will be doing a new dub to be released on DVD/Blu-Ray. The cast, which includes Johnny Yong Bosh as Artemis, will also be doing Sailor Moon Crystal when it's ready to be dubbed.

Return to “Anime”