Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ratings Poll: JyuKen Sentai GekIRanger

Post by takenoko »

What'd you think of Geki?

This is also a 5 for me. What a good series that was sorely underappreciated over in Japan. Sure, Jan could get annoying. But the kung fu theme was fantastic. And having such a strong villain presence in Mele and Rio was so important.

And Super GekiRangers is one of my favorite upgrades ever.

Images from GekiRanger
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Ratings Poll: JyuKen Sentai GekIRanger

Post by Lunagel »

Kickass songs, really unique costumes, a great theme and amazing villains. It still surprises me that this show was rated so low in Japan because it's second only to Magiranger for me.
dualvision1984
7X
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Quote: The meaning of the journey lies within the journey itself - Eijiro Hikari, Kamen Rider Decade
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by dualvision1984 »

Gekiranger is one of the shows in the Super Sentai franchise that will make you watch it from beginning to end. Excellent story line, lots of enemy commanders and great character growth for everyone included in the series. I will give it 5 for this show.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

I'm currently watching it, up to Episode 35. I really like the villains; Rio and Mele are epic characters. The mid-series story arc is just insanely epic, while I enjoyed most of the filler episodes too. I won't vote yet since I haven't finished it, but I would give it 5/5 at the moment, and 2nd place behind Gokaiger.
Blackcondorguy
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Favorite Band: Dinosaur Jr
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Blackcondorguy »

3.5, as far as I'm concerned. Jan was annoying, and the starting team had not much to keep you interested. It got better, and the waiting paid off, with the characters training and getting stronger. I liked Gekiviolet and Gekichopper, they had something new to offer, but they came up a bit late. Still not fond of the mechas. Overall, it was worth watching, but could be a pain at times, as the pacing was not great until later on.
KRMonkey
Go Go!
Quote: ...dynamic chop!
Type: INFP Healer

Post by KRMonkey »

Gekiranger trains daily to unseat Kyoryuger as my favorite Sentai. Great suits, great theme song, and Gekitouja was a strong mecha design. It's hard for me to resist kung-fu kitty Sentai. Mele and Rio were tremendously watchable, almost certainly the best part of the show. I guess I found Jan less annoying than most viewers, maybe because the actor turned in a charismatic performance despite the sometimes-cloying material. I thought I'd hate Master Shafu when I started watching, but... nope. Kinda delightful much of the time. However, I wish the show had given Miki more to do. That she never became a Gekiranger herself felt like an off-note to me. She's performing geki jyuken in the first episode, for heaven's sake!

Speaking of off-notes... A rhino? You've got three kittyrangers, a wolfyranger, and... a rhino dude? Pick a theme! Urgh. (Well, except for Ninninger. Don't pick a theme. Keep the dart board approach.)
Shawn Sandiego
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Ryuki / Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: W / Geki & Kyouryuu
Dreamy: Aya Marsh
Favorite Actor?: Hassei Takano
Favorite Band: Rise Against
My boom: Collecting merch
Quote: HENSHIN!
Type: ISFJ Protector
Instagram: shawnsandiego

Post by Shawn Sandiego »

5 for me too!
Pretty much everything was epic to me. And that ending...! Still gives me goosebumps.
Kamen Rider Claw. HENSHIN!
Discord | Linktr.ee | PlayStation Network, etc.
lio_convoy
Number 6
Number 6

Post by lio_convoy »

I really liked it. The characters were good but I think the villains made the show. Rio and Melee were excellent characters throughout the entire show.
Knight of L-sama
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: It is a place that dwells in the memory of those who still dream of its ancient glory. A world revered for its beauty, mystery and danger. On a planet of endless adventure such a land is known as El-Hazard. If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million night, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Knight of L-sama »

After some pondering... a four, but only just. It was Rio and Mele that pushed me over the edge. :D

I think that Gekirangers flaw is that the end game ultimately felt a bit... rushed. Sure Long was in it for a while before hand as a generic mysterious figure, but ultimately his role in the back story was introduced in a very last minute sort of way. Ditto with the stuff about Jan's father.

On the plus side, the action was good and it was fun seeing the different, distinct fighting styles at play, Bae was a lot of fun and the characters did grow (Jan uses a lot fewer nonsense phrases latter on than he did in the beginning for example).
Welcome to the Sea of Chaos!
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

WAH! Geki Jyu Ken, Wakuwaku! *coughs,* s-sorry, yea. Easily a solid 5 for me. Mainly cause even if you took out the Super Sentai aspects of it, it'd still be one hell of a compelling supernatural martial arts series with good enough writing to make us feel sorry for a power crazed bully and his zombie girlfriend (Rio and Mele).
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It's interesting. I really liked it the first time I watched it, but never really got into it again like I have some other series.

I did like the dynamic with the antagonists though. Not sure what to think with the introduction of Geki Violet and Chopper though. Retool to sell toys? Would have been nice if there was a larger gap between the two joining.
GaMa7
Favorite series: Keitai Sousakan 7
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Nexus
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Drawing Comics
Quote: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before".
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gamaseven/?hl=it

Post by GaMa7 »

Another martial art themed series, just for this element I was hooked from the start but I struggled a bit in the first episodes: the core team wasn't that appealing and while I didn't find Jan that annoying he didn't seem to add too much to the story until the story basically focused on his growth. Rio and Mele really helped me going on with the series who really was kicked up a notch with the addition of Violet and Chopper. They were pretty underused in my opinion, such a shame, not to mention the last arc directly involving Gou rivalry: alla that build up and the confrontation ends up extremely disappoiting , so forced even if use some tropes of martial arts. Anyway, loved the suit design, such a drastic departue is always welcome in my opinion. The mechas weren't the best part of the show: the single units were pretty generic in design, despite some unique and bizarre addition like the penguin and the gazelle. The combined mecha were a bit better, with GekiFire being my favourite, but still lacking something. It's a 4 for me: despite some issues a really memorable series with such great villains who really deserved every minute of screentime they had and wow, such a nice ending!
Last edited by GaMa7 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Fantastic series. Jan was probably the weak point (the writers overdid his character just a bit), but they more than made up for it with Rio and Mele. They're de facto rangers/heroes, but they're also the villains for most of the series. That's a plot angle that is rarely worked in Sentai.
BoukenLou
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Favorite series: Boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Favorite Band: Iron Maiden

Post by BoukenLou »

I couldn't stand Jan at first and almost stopped watching the series because he was so annoying. But I kept watching just because Rio and Melee were so interesting. Two of the best antagonists in Sentai history in my opinion. I'm glad I stuck with the show as it ended up being one of my favorite entries in the Sentai cannon for me. An easy vote of 5 for me.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I'm really not a fan of Gekiranger. Even so, I'd have to rate it pretty squarely a 3.5 (bumped up to a 4 for the sake of this poll) because the writers did a really good job of weaving a year-long story and the villains carry the day. It loses a lot of points in my book because I never connected with the heroes - of the five, Jan is probably my favorite despite his nonsense vocabulary. But he grows so much as a character over the course of the show, which goes back to how much I appreciate the writing in this show.

Return to “Jyuken Sentai GekiRanger”