xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

My review of GekiRanger + bonus

Post by xiiliea »

So, I just finished GekiRanger and I have to say that it is one of the most epic series I ever watched.

-I really love the way the villains are written. It's very rare for a villain to appear in the whole series and that I do not hate them, but instead like them as the villains (eg. in Fourze too).
-Normally a power-up form is just simply "we developed something new, just take it and use it", but the GekiRangers actually had to work hard over a few episodes to get their power-up form. Also, their power-uped form is not simply an extra piece of bulky armor on their chests. It's actually a really sleek redesign of the suit.
Spoiler
-The final boss isn't boring at all. It's a mysterious character who appears for quite a lot of episodes near the end, and sort of twists the story into who the final boss really is. Also he isn't a useless character like many other series where the final boss is simply the leader of the villain group who does nothing but sit in his throne for the entire series, only to do something once his entire army is wiped out.
-Long is just a really epic character. It kept me wondering for a really long time who he really was and what was his intentions. I just couldn't think of a real reason why he wanted to make someone strong, instead of himself.

-I really love the 7 character songs ED near the end. Gives some recap of the series and nostalgia in a fun way.
Spoiler
-The ending was really, really well done. At first I thought Sanyo would become the final villain after Long died. I would have cringed if Long just went "hello I'm still alive" and then time for next episode, but it was a really nice twist of events that behind Sanyo was Long.

-Rio turned from a character I neutrally liked to one of my favorite characters at the end.

On why it overtakes Go-Busters as my 2nd placed Sentai:
-Both have a really epic story. I would rate them almost equally, but the characters in GekiRanger, especially the villains, are way more epic. For example in Go-Busters, I sometimes get tired of Escape's "This is Gog and Magog" line, and Enter does the generic job of summoning monsters all the time.
-The Go-Busters having defects (eg. Red's chickenphobia) seems like they're there for something extra, while they aren't really that interesting.

On why Gokaiger is still No. 1:
-I had a hard time thinking if GekiRanger could take the No. 1 spot of Sentai in my heart, but in the end I just decided to leave Gokaiger still as 1st place, because it still is the Sentai series which has interesting stuffs almost every episode, and tons of nostalgia portions too. The theme was also too epic to ignore (a massive space empire which did indeed seem massive and intimidating).

BONUS 1:
Spoiler

BONUS 2:
Spoiler

BONUS 3:
Spoiler
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: My review of GekiRanger + bonus

Post by takenoko »

Why is the bonus not something yummy to eat?

Ur father is Gavan.

Return to “Jyuken Sentai GekiRanger”