Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W / GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger

Re: Rating of GekiRanger

Post by harpdevil »

icecreamhendrix wrote:-sorry take-sama and harpdevil-
DR OCTOGONAPUS BUUUUUUUAAAAARRRRRR
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
Zamer
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Zamer »

Maser Shafu wants to tell you, that there is training in trying something new.
Image Image
civicninja
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by civicninja »

For sure watch it. The best sentai ever imo. The story line was amazing and the characters were awesome
Jemusu
Adventure
Favorite series: Dekaranger
Dreamy: Kotoha (Shinkenger)
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Jemusu »

I'm going with popular opinion and saying that it's a show you should definitely watch.
As others have said the great thing is that the villains really steal the show. You really get to feel for them as characters, and not just in that "I'm sure he's going to turn good around episode 35" sort of way. The additional rangers also each bring something new to the show.
Darien_Shields
7X

Post by Darien_Shields »

GekiRanger is absolutely my favourite sentai series to date. It is really big on plot arcs, character development, and the villains actually being worth a damn. It's one of few series where I can pop open an episode list and say "Hmm, episode 21 is probably around when such and such happened... And Episode 35 is roughly around the time of..." It had a really definite storyline. I also always felt there was good consistency as far as the power of the characters and their gear went. In some sentai a villain will show up and be devastatingly powerful, totally wipe the floor with the team... and then 10 or 15 episodes later, they fight again without any major training or powerup, and just take the guy down by being determined. Geki, while full of determination, avoids that- the good guys get their butts kicked plenty if they come to a fight without the right training, and none of the bad guys get taken out without an epic fight.

That said, plot arcs and character development might not be for everyone. If you have watched and enjoyed MagiRanger, you could probably get into GekiRanger pretty easily. If you prefer more episodic series where you can just pick an episode pretty much at random and watch it on its own- Dekaranger is probably more your thing. (Are Bouken and Go-On like that? I only watched them intermittently)

I'd also say that if you like shounen manga/anime (One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, etc.) you might very well get a kick out of Geki. It has a lot of similar themes- struggling to get stronger, fighting, rivalry, etc- which I personally loved. I tried showing it to a friend who said he liked it less because he was used to that sort of thing in manga, but I think for most people it will improve the experience.
Deka_Hero
Humongous
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Quote: I DEMAND THINGS TO BE AWESOME! - Michel Bay

Post by Deka_Hero »

After re-watching the series, i am willing to boost my Rating to 6.5/10.

I still don't see how so many people can call this series their favorate, what with a main team with a hyper jungleboy and the other two with the personalties and dimensions of a Wooden board, Villains who i found uninteresting (Mele) and emo (Rio) plus with a overall theme i care nothing for.

But i did enjoy Gou, Ken and Miki. Some of the MOTW where pretty creative and the Team power-up was cool.

I have softened on Geki a bit, but i still rank it as my least favorite Sentai.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

How generous of you to rewatch your least favorite sentai just to bunch up the arbitrary number rating that you gave it?

I don't really think Rio counts as an emo. One of the reasons I liked Geki was that the villains were interesting and did grow as the series progressed. It's pretty high on the cool factor, and there's really nothing I can say if you didn't like the theme in general

It just seems kind of weird that you would rewatch a series just to post a mostly negative review like that. Why not watch something you enjoy instead?
Deka_Hero
Humongous
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Quote: I DEMAND THINGS TO BE AWESOME! - Michel Bay

Post by Deka_Hero »

It was next up in my rotation and i decided to give it another go instead of skipping it on going on to Go-Onger.
And i was a little harsh on Rio i guess, he is not really emo, but to me he didn't grip me personally the way Agent Aburera or the Negative Syndicate did.

The series didn't engage me like it did others, but that doesn't mean i wont watch it.
HenshinRebel
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Quote: Onore Decado!

Post by HenshinRebel »

9/10. I fucking loved Gekiranger. The characters, The storylines and arcs. Everything was great, Sure it had it's flaws, But what Sentai series doesn't? I Recommend Gekiranger If you're looking for a good time.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Darien_Shields wrote:(Are Bouken and Go-On like that? I only watched them intermittently)
Bouken is but, Go-onger does have many sub-arcs that could confuse a viewer if watched at random times.
tennomichi
Salami Commander
Favorite series: deka,shinken,bouken
2nd Favorite Series: KR 電王,W,DCD
Dreamy: 矢島舞身、鈴木愛理、中島早貴
Favorite Actor?: yama-p
Favorite Band: MIWA,℃-ute,Buono!
My boom: This forum and fb
Quote: 東洋の魔女?ー鈴木&梅田

Post by tennomichi »

i would say a 4/10

i find Jan very very annoying except after episodes 37+ however the other characters were fine

the storyline is ok

henshin item awesome, first mecha awesome, second not so awesome

the suit is plain but the logo, awesome
オレは天の道を行き全てを司る男
i think i learned my lesson
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, next person who does the lame arbitrary number rating thing gets a ban
kandoken
Favorite series: Bouken|Go-On|Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: 555|DCD|W|Shinken
Favorite Actor?: Kenji Matsuda
My boom: *flicks wrist* Art

Post by kandoken »

I just finished this series for the first time a week ago. This sentai was.... interesting. I can see why some would compare it to Magi, i guess with the epic energy bursting elements, but for some reason I couldn't connect with the characters. Magi and bouken were amazing in terms of writing and character progression, but in geki it seemed like they only focused on becoming stronger, rather than growing an actual bond. Which is why i think I liked Rio and Mele.. they seemed to show different lights to themselves, and i would think, 'god, when will jan-tachi shut up and skip to RioXMele' at times. I liked the kensei and miki alot, they were very solid supportive-types.
Spoiler
But the later part of the series with jan and dan really picked up, which made me kinda sad, if only they had pulled it off sooner this show would've had me... Magi had it perfect, right smack-dab in the middle of the series. And it became my fave.

Umm, <_< >_> no rating! as takenoko said, lol. 'No further questions your honor.'

LOL
Peanut
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gingaman
Dreamy: 佐藤 祐基
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: ビースト・オン!

Post by Peanut »

Gekiranger was one of the best Sentai of recent years. Plus, it had Sotaro, who I find especially yummy.
刺激、俺流、わが意を尽くす 「アイアン・ウィル」 ゲキバイオレット!
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

harpdevil wrote:Absolutely you should watch it. It's one of those shows that even if there's things about the rangers you don't like, the bad guys more than make up for it. I thought Blue and Yellow were kinda nothingy, but other team members that join later are brilliant, you'll enjoy the host of characters and the story, it's well worth it. They some wire-fu in the season as well, which is a bit different from other years.
its true Blue and Yellow seemed a bit more subdued personality wise than Red, but think about it, anyone would look subdued when put next to that particular Red Ranger. i was watching some of it, but had to stop because of other committments, but i'm looking forward to seeing how everything plays out.

I particularly loved that one story arc that involved the foot soldiers, those weird hopping vampires, going through special training in order to evolve into a more powerful monster. that was definitely a nice change of pace.

Return to “Jyuken Sentai GekiRanger”