< Boukenger | GekiRanger | Go-Onger >
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

My thoughts and feelings on Gekiranger

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

I've been watching this series with my wife for a few weeks now, and I have to say that I am thoroughly enthralled with the series.

There are some things that I find kinda irritating about the series, like Jan's childish behavior and his habit of using made up words that only he understands. But when taking into account the fact that he was raised in the wild, that can be forgiven. However there were things that came up that I thought were ridiculous, like just before firing the Gekibazooka, his habit of shouting 'Pork Cube Stew'. I'm so glad they dropped that after a few episodes.

anyway, I really love how this particular Sentai series more than any other Sentai program to my knowledge is far more serialized than previous Sentai programs and unlike some previous Sentai programs, it doesn't fall into the trap of being formulaic or predictable. in that things aren't immediately wrapped up at the end of the half hour. In addition, there isn't the usual set up regarding how a monster is defeated. in most Sentai programs, there's the plot set up with the monster, they destroy the monster with their blaster weapon, and then the monster turns gigantic, prompting the use of the mechas to finish it off, and then there's the coda that comes at episode's end. but that doesn't happen here, and I'm quite glad for that.

There are various mini-arcs that play out even while an overreaching arc is played out that allows for character development to move forward, and these are also played out exceptionally well and merely add to the overall entertainment of the series as a whole.

One of my favorite moments had to be the appearance of the two bodyguards of the first Kenma, the Kenma of the Sky. The Crow and the Crane, I like to think that they may have been brothers. this is especially true when during a multi episode arc that involved receiving training from Bat Li, the Gekirangers manage to destroy the Crow Ken user, but the Crane Ken user was still alive, and after seeing his brother killed, the next episode he was completely deranged and totally psychotic to the point where he was carrying his brother's sword and was talking to it as though his brother were still alive.

I love the complexity and the nuances to both the heroes and the villains, I'm not even halfway finished with this series, but Gekiranger so far is definitely a top favoriteand I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the rest.
atilim
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Re: My thoughts and feelings on Gekiranger

Post by atilim »

Just finished it myself and I have to say that I liked it.

Jan was a funny character and things like Waki Waki etc. where funny but unlike you I was sad to see them drop 'Pork Cube Stew' line.

But the thing that I really liked about this show was Rio and Mele, I just love the whole anti-hero character and how Mele would change her voice when talking to Rio.
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

I'm still watching the show, and I'm at the point in the series where all five Gekirangers are established, including Retsu's older brother Gou (GekiViolet) and Ken (GekiChopper).

I like how they establish that the forms of power or Geki utilized both Gou and Ken are unique as befitting their personalities.

Gou is awesome, and I like his initial reluctance to join the team was based more on his own doubts and insecurities, because he wasn't certain what his ShiGeki style represented, since his fighting style and his power was on the border between the Geki and the Rinki. I love his Henshin device, super cool, and that he's powerful enough to summon the mechas normally piloted by Jan and Retsu to combine with his wolf mecha.

I remember when Ken first came onto the show, I was shocked, especially with his initial rivalry with Jan, especially over the pork cutlet. it was hilarious because it seemed like Jan finally met his match with somebody who was just as big a child as he was. My favorite moment was when Ken drove a huge truck into Jan just to get the pork cutlet. I love the revelation about his Geki style, in which he creates energy which is as hard as diamond and can cut through anything, and the moment he cut through water was super cool.

I love Rio and Melee, they are awesome. Rio definitely had that anti-hero vibe, and I love Melee's devotion and loyalty to her man. I'm halfway done with this series, looking forward to seeing how it plays out.
Philip Aldraine
Kamen Knight
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: Koko kara wa ore no sutēji da!

Post by Philip Aldraine »

I just finished with GekiRanger and it was amazing. I won't say anything that will spoil it, but I agree with you Sexy.

Rio and Mele are amazing.

Gou...eh, I didn't like him at first.

Ken...lol he does remind me of Jan a lot!
Currently Watching: Ex-Aid, Kyuranger.

'Once you've seen the light, you can never go back to the darkness!'
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

I have since finished watching the series, and I loved it.

I loved how Rio and Melee achieved redemption towards the end, and I had a feeling that Rio always loved Melee, but kept his feelings hidden in order not to be viewed as weak.

The Long character is a true revelation of absolute villainy. The way he remained hidden in the shadows, manipulating events from behind the scenes for nothing else than for his own personal amusement, very well written and executed.

Overall, very well done.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Sexy_RoboVoice wrote:I remember when Ken first came onto the show, I was shocked, especially with his initial rivalry with Jan, especially over the pork cutlet. it was hilarious because it seemed like Jan finally met his match with somebody who was just as big a child as he was. My favorite moment was when Ken drove a huge truck into Jan just to get the pork cutlet. I love the revelation about his Geki style, in which he creates energy which is as hard as diamond and can cut through anything, and the moment he cut through water was super cool.
I never cared for Ken. His mech was ridiculously broken and after he released the Brusa Ee wave; he had absolutely no point in the story other than taking up a space on the team.

Gou was infinitely better.
WoodBetweenWorlds
Go Go!
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger, Kiva
Favorite Band: Relient K
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Big Hero 6
Quote: "So, physics! Physics, eh? Physics! Phyyyysics! I hope you're all getting this down!" - The Doctor

Post by WoodBetweenWorlds »

I absolutely loved Gekiranger, every little detail and all. It is easily my favorite Sentai series and Jan is definitely my favorite Sentai character.

I just found the show to be really solid and consistent on all fronts. Of course, I haven't seen Timeranger yet. I think it's next on my list after I finish Gokaiger.
Check out my Tumblr where I review shows that I watch and talk about other random nonsense!

http://codenamewaffle.tumblr.com/

Return to “Jyuken Sentai GekiRanger”