Kachou on!
Forum rules
Wiki Link
thesubcon3
Number 6
Number 6

Re: Kotaku's Retro Game Master

Post by thesubcon3 »

So over on vgMastersClub.com I've been having an issue with Blip.tv but I've figured it out now! The first 4 episodes of Season 2 are back live. Season 1 should be fixed soon and we will start uploading the rest of Season 2 ASAP. Also since there is a buzz about the show again, I'll link the show to the main page again.
thesubcon3
Number 6
Number 6

Post by thesubcon3 »

Now all the episodes upped are live again. Enjoy!
Mister Chief NZ
Adventure

Post by Mister Chief NZ »

takenoko wrote:That's pretty terrible, poor A-be. I guess we should be grateful that they even mention the AD and other staff members' names.

So here's something I was wondering about aloud in chat. How much of what got put out was "this is our package from Fuji TV" and how much of it was "this is what Kotaku wants to put out". As I recall, GCCX already had Retro Gaming Master packaged up and were looking for a buyer years ago, plus the showing in New York sounds pretty similar to what Kotaku released.

I'm just wondering if Fuji TV was like "You take the dubbed narrator, no corners, these subs, or nothing at all."
Here is actual footage from one of the episodes they used in the pitch: http://vimeo.com/1244534

It is similar in style (dub/sub) but the execution of the Fuji TV episode is a lot better. For one they subbed the text on screen. Also the text is a lot more stylised to match the style of the show. To me this says the fault lies with Gawker as they probably tried to get the episodes made as cheaply as possible whereas Fuji TV put more effort into them since they were trying to sell a product.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

I'm still don't understand why the announcer decided to use such a corny voice. I can understand attempts to make it more palatable for a mainstream audience but the readers of Kotaku aren't exactly mainstream. You shouldn't emulate the voices of narrators on reality TV with this audience. It just comes off as patronizing rather than informative.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I'm not mainstream? Damn!
Red
Gao

Post by Red »

THAT was the pitch video?! :O I remember people complaining about the narrator in that version before, but just from the smidge, he sounds WORLDS better than the guy they have now! Of course, I also heard that version also didn't have the extra material either... :\
ElKevo86
7X
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Quote: "I just tell the truth. If that hurts you, that's your fault."

Post by ElKevo86 »

I finally watched it. Eh, it wasn't horrible but it wasn't particularly good either. Yeah, that guy's voice was annoying. And his mispronunciation was unforgivable. And it really bothered me that even though they said Ninja Ryukenden a bunch of times the words Ninja Gaiden were still on the screen. They could have just had a little note in the beginning that said "Released in America as..." or something. And they haven't really talked about which eps they are doing but I have a feeling that they'll only be doing the games that were released in America. Makes sense I guess but I really liked seeing games I never heard of before. I could keep going with all the things that bugged me but it's already been covered in previous posts. But even with the flaws I will probably keep watching just to get a fix until more subs are released.
Jamesman
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by Jamesman »

Just out of curiosity...

Since they've been brought up, I am from the Something Awful Forums, where some folks have been trying their hand at translating episodes. If they were to put their efforts to use in the name of TV-Nihon, what would that entail?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

We'd have to talk with whoever's running the project first obviously.
Prince Mercury
I am not a number. I am an individual!

Post by Prince Mercury »

I can't believe that everyone's complaining that we're getting new episodes weekly and for free, as opposed to getting one over the past year and a half. Like we're all so hard done by.
riderkicker
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Jetman
2nd Favorite Series: BLACK
Dreamy: Hikawa
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa
Favorite Band: FoC
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: King! Ha!

Post by riderkicker »

Personally, I find the Gawker translations tolerable, especially since they didn't dub over Arino, still keeping that suspense. Of course I have a few minor quibbles, but captioning what either the narrator or Arino just said in those big block letters is not one of them. If there is going to be a DVD release based on this work, I would be angered.
And at that Albie cried a single tear which turned into a jelly bean all the colors of the rainbow! And
suddenly...Albie wasn't racist anymore!!!
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

Hmm we seem to have skipped ahead several episodes in the series. I wonder if Kotaku is cherry picking episodes from certain seasons or if their showing what was given to them?
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I hear they're doing it off the DVD versions, which is why there's no corners and stuff. Note, the DVDs for GCCX are horrible and they're only hand picked episodes that consist of just the challenges. Sometimes they'll throw other stuff on as a bonus, but it's just not the same as what you see on TV
AhhMyEyes
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Quote: "Always take a banana to a party",

The Doctor

Post by AhhMyEyes »

first time posting, long time fan of TV-Nihon, anywho watching the Kotaku version, and it makes me alittle sad. i miss all the Little extra things where Arino goes to gamecenters and shop(IMO those were the best parts) so i eagerly await new eps from the crew(i cant wait it's no problem, take your time it will be worth it). any chance of the the Retro Game Master 2 game for the DS to come out in america now? i hope so
ladieslovekazuo

Post by ladieslovekazuo »

the salt is flowing in this thread

In all seriousness, the narrator in the dub is terrible, the pronunciation is atrocious (and likely intentional; it is a LOCALIZATION targeted at the EXACT OPPOSITE OF PEOPLE LIKE US), but, you know what? I'm glad it's getting put out there so I can watch it translated.

I still look forward to more from TV-Nihon, but, you know what? Kotaku/Gawker is packaging the product and marketing it to a specific audience. I don't necessarily care for the changes and the half-assed way in which they were done, but it is what it is. One could point the finger back at TV-Nihon for some of the laziness/"sacred language" in translation/localization, but that, again, is what it is.

Most likely, Gawker wouldn't pay what FujiTV wanted for the license for the fully-prouced episodes, so they likely negotiated a deal for less money and did their own localization.

Word around the campfire is FujiTV wanted far too much money for the license to the version of RGM they produced, and this is why no one picked it up for release.

Return to “GameCenter CX”