Forum rules
Wiki Link
Therm_Kitty
Gabu
Dreamy: Shotaro!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Re: Kotaku's Retro Game Master

Post by Therm_Kitty »

Subbing everything makes it a bit hard to follow for random people off the street, especially when there's someone on screen but the subtitles are for someone else off-screen or if two people off-screen are talking. Not everyone has the mental capacity to read subtitles quickly, remember who has what voice and connect the two. Go to a subtitled movie in theaters if you want to get proof of that.

Also, it takes up less screen real estate and allows the viewer to look away from the screen for a second and still get the gist of it via audio.
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

Eh? Dubbing...? That means I will only be able to understand half of the show?
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
strider_hiryu
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Quote: "Sonic Boom"
Guile

Post by strider_hiryu »

This is great news, finally we can see more GC episodes! :mrgreen:

pd:are you guys keep on translating gamecenter cx?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Yeah, they're just going slowly because they're long and Arino has a funny accent.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I don't know if I buy that reasoning Therm Kitty. As a live show, GCCX definitely has a lot of people talking over each other, but still, this isn't exactly a shouting match over each other. As with most things, one guy talks and another guy listens. Besides, I've never heard of anyone complaining that there were too many subs on screen before

Oh yeah, definitely planning to do more Strider. I'm just super bogged down with stuff at the moment. But you know, have faith, we're pretty good about keeping projects going eventually.
Therm_Kitty
Gabu
Dreamy: Shotaro!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Therm_Kitty »

[quote="takenoko"]I don't know if I buy that reasoning Therm Kitty. As a live show, GCCX definitely has a lot of people talking over each other, but still, this isn't exactly a shouting match over each other. As with most things, one guy talks and another guy listens. Besides, I've never heard of anyone complaining that there were too many subs on screen before[quote]

It's not the kind of thing you'll hear in toku fandom, since everyone here at least accepts subs. Some people are against subtitles altogether since they read one word at a time or can't read and watch at the same time. Those are people that a site like Kotaku needs to take into account if they're going to get views. Arino's fine for both parties, since he doesn't exactly deliver filibusters.

Additionally, it gives them an in-series voice that they can use for other things. Imagine having the ability to make the narrator of a popular series say whatever you wish for ads, cross-promotions, etc. It's a great business move.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

Or it's a bad idea and no one watches it. Cause of the dub. You run a site that's called Kotaku. A fair amount of your audience watches fansubs.
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

I think it's stupid move by them for doing that by not sub everything they said. They are excluding people like me who need subtitles to follow what's going on (knowing mainstream that kotaku brings...I bet that is gonna be quite bunch of them).

I am disappointed that it turns to be something that I can't enjoy. But still I am happy for others that they are bring something of Japan to Western, I guess.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

> Some people are against subtitles altogether

So, then those people would hate that the majority of it which is subbed. You're not getting what I'm saying. If you try to appeal to everyone (or both camps in this case dub/sub people) all you're going to do is disappoint everyone.

>Additionally, it gives them an in-series voice that they can use for other things. Imagine having the ability to make the narrator of a popular series say whatever you wish for ads, cross-promotions, etc. It's a great business move.

I'm sure we're going to see a lot of commercials and stuff for the show on TV and on the blog they run. That voice is money in the bank, clearly.
strider_hiryu
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Quote: "Sonic Boom"
Guile

Post by strider_hiryu »

From Kotaku:
Brian Crecente
It will only be available in the U.S. Sorry!
It sucks, i´m from Chile so i can´t watch it.

If somebody from USA can record the episode and upload it, please do it!
Mister Chief NZ
Adventure

Post by Mister Chief NZ »

Some guys over on Something Awful have been subbing episodes recently too. They've done Mega Man 3, Castlevania 3 and Tokimeki Memorial so far. They are holding off on doing any more until they see what happens with Kotaku.
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by jonty »

I dunno, maybe they were trying to split the difference? Dubbing the announcer is "Western-friendly," and one could argue that the actual voice-work of the narration is not as important as hearing the emotion coming from Arino's actual voice. In other words, the original Japanese narrator is already doing after-the-fact voice-work, so a dub artist doing after-the-fact voice-work is arguably more able to be equal in quality, whereas since half the fun of watching GCX is watching Arino struggle so much, having that be dubbed would lose the in-the-moment emotion from his voice.

Plus you don't have to worry about the lips matching the voice since you of course never actually see the narrator. Plus, using a new narrator frees them up to cut the show differently without too much loss of narrative thread.

Of course, this entire thing is predicated on the notion that viewers either prefer or do not mind dubbing in principle in the first place, which is really a whole other discussion.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I guess one can say that the narrator isn't as important as the star. But I genuinely do like the original Japanese narrator. That deep stern voice that sometimes lectures Arino when he screws around too much has as much personality to me as his ADs. I like the work relationship that they display, even if it's only for a bit in the show.

By the way, I don't think the narration is after the fact dubbing (At least not all the time). It happens in real time with the guy off camera, since he and Arino exchange dialogue from time to time. So when that happens, I guess the dub guy will address Arino in English and he'll respond in Japanese with subtitles. Maybe it'll turn out to be less jarring than it sounds?
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

"It'll have "English captions for Arino and English dubbing for his off-camera announcer." I don't understand the reasoning for that, but eh."

Isn't that what G4 does to Sasuke when they bring it to America under the "Ninja Warrior" name? Though that could also date back to the English translation of Iron Chef, where only Chairman Kaga was subtitlted while the rest were given voice overs (the original dialogue can still be heard if you listen).

Seems like they're using the same reasoning that went into the shows I mentioned above. For some strange reason, live action shows never get a full sub until it's strictly a DVD release, or you're lucky enough to live in Hawaii. *Shrugs.*
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by jonty »

The narrator and Arino exchange dialogue? Has that happened in any of the episodes released by T-N yet? I don't remember that; that's interesting.

Return to “GameCenter CX”