Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

MegaRanger 51 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/MegaRanger_51

So final episode. It definitely feels fitting for this series. I wasn't expecting the stuff with Dr. Hinelar's daughter to be the reason for his going insane, but I guess it's better than him just being jealous of Kubota for no reason. At least we get some explanation for Shiborena being the way that she was.

I think Hinelar is a pretty good villain for the MegaRangers, since in the end it's themes of science versus mad science. We can use our technology to go to the moon and build helpful robots. Or we can use them to create bio weapons and conquer other dimensions. Hinelar's a good dark, twisted version of the MegaRangers. And this is without even going into the NejiRangers.

So we finally come to the climax of the exposed identity storyline. Maybe a harsh lesson is that in life, most people probably won't appreciate you for the work you do. But as long as your friends get it, it's okay. That said, it really took like the apparent deaths of the MegaRanger to win over the naysayers, like the principal and his lackey teacher. Maybe that's more realistic, but it would be nice if the people who complained about the MegaRangers learned to appreciate them without a monster bearing down on them.

That's another thing. It really portrays adults as being ignorant and ungrateful. They'll shout criticisms at the MegaRangers, but then turn around and yell at them to save them when monsters show up. Perhaps it's a parable on how youths are open to new possibilities while adults are hypocrites who are set in their ways. Either way, it fits with this being a teen fantasy, since the teens end up saving the day anyway.

I'm surprised they weren't able to cram Shougo into the ending. I liked that guy, but I can see how they needed to focus on the MegaRangers balancing their hero life with their school life.

Anyway, I really enjoyed working on this series. It's old enough such that CGI usage was a lot more limited. Like, seeing Yugande smash one of the MegaRangers against the wall and seeing sparks fly out in the last episode was pretty great. There's a lot of good themes and the group of characters are very likable.

We definitely would like to work on the two versuses, so please keep an eye out for that.
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: MegaRanger 51 released

Post by jonty »

I like to imagine the conversation that happened right before the MegaRangers flew in on their Cyber Sliders to the graduation.

Kenta:
Guys, it'll be soooo cool if we flew in on our Cyber Sliders!

Miku:
Ooh, and did a roll call!

Kenta:
Yeah! Yeah!!

Chisato:
Kenta, they think we're dead. Doesn't that seem a little...much?

Kouichirou:
Flying vehicles are strictly prohibited on campus!

Shun:
(Sigh)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

LOL
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Holy cow, MegaRanger is finished! Best Christmas ever! :D

It's interesting to juxtapose the style of an older finale like MegaRanger and a modern Sentai series. They spent almost the whole episode doing a robo battle. To the point that the ground battle was so short that Dr. Hinelar's final form surely must hold some kind of record for the shortest amount of time used. On the flip side however, I would argue that at least by modern standards, this episode has pacing issues. Since they spent so much time on the robo battle, the entire final act where the series gets wrapped up only a couple of minutes, which doesn't leave much time to address matters.

Otherwise takenoko hit a lot of the high notes on the plot. It was nice that Dr. Hinelar's backstory finally got fully fleshed out (at the last possible moment), though at least for me I always thought it to be somewhat obvious that his downfall involved his daughter once we learned that Shiborena was a duplicate.
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Time is the fire in which we burn.

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

The last 2 episodes of Megaranger (and just when I was 5 episodes away from finishing what TV Nihon did before this week) AND the Ninninger movie? Merry Christmas indeed. Thank you :)
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

Thank you.
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

loved it! now onto gingaman! haha right? :D
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

Excellent end to an excellent series, though I would've liked to have seen a bit more of Hinelar's monster form. Thanks to all who put in so much hard work on the series your efforts are definitely appreciated.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Time is the fire in which we burn.

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

Great series overall and great finale. I wish Toei had saw fit to reveal Hinaler's backstory over the course of the series rather than the info dump here, but this was a great end to a great series, especially with the Megarangers' friends. Great show. Thank you for subbing it TV-Nihon.

Return to “Sentai-Denji Sentai MegaRanger”