2nd Favorite Series: Chou Sei Shin
Dreamy: Sayaka Isoyama
Favorite Actor?: Inuoe Masahrio
Favorite Band: Tetra-Fang
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: HENSHIN

Re: Shinkenger 14 Released

Post by AeonRanger »

lol richard brown's japanese was funny but actually quite good still doesn't beat Peter Ho's appearence in Paradise Lost. If he did become shinken brown what would his shinken maru be earth and wood are both taken. I sure hope Richard Brown does spread the word of the samurai in america.
Tensou - Let me count the number of your crimes
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by erikhol »

I want to ask - did anyone think the portrayl of Mister Brown was perhaps racist.

I'm not saying I think that, but it's always in the back of my mind when I see American in Super Sentai. Not that the Japanese are racist, but perhaps they might not have the right impression of us.

Basicly, they don't think we're all Richard Browns, right?

Anyway - I thought it was a fun episode. But I shudder to think of that guy teaching anyone anything about being a Samurai.

Oh - one note - if that guy speaks Japanese so fluently, don't you think it would be odd for him not to know how to use chopsticks?

Oh, one last comment - I found that Brown's American accent was exactly right. Usually when some Japanese try and speak English, it comes out with a thick Japanese accent. So, was the guy who played him just versed in both languages? Because whenever he said something in English, it sounds pitch perfect for an American accent.
BoukenCobalt
7X
Favorite series: Boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Henshin poses

Post by BoukenCobalt »

Despite everyone here, I was actually irritated and annoyed with this episode, but I still enjoy the fact that Americans in tokusatsu is a gem that every season should have. See B-Fighter Kabuto; B-Fighter Yanma was an American kid.

Richard Brown sure is a generic name. I would have to say a ShinkenBrown would resemble Spirit in terms of elemental alignment for Richard's case (unless you enjoy toilet humor).

Oh, and for those Mark Musashi fans out there, I watched his performance in Cutie Honey (crap, why do I think I got the name wrong?), and I was disappointed with the tone he used when speaking English. "Shiiiiiiit~!!" seems almost meme-worthy.
The truth about deviantArt:
Spoiler
gh0stwrit3r
Kamen Knight
My boom: Grounded

Post by gh0stwrit3r »

BoukenCobalt wrote:"Shiiiiiiit~!!" seems almost meme-worthy
Is what makes it a great line. xD
windfalcon
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Den-O
Favorite Band: m-flo
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by windfalcon »

I was thoroughly amused by this episode. I was amongst those people who screamed "USE EARTH DAMNIT!" when they were fighting without Ryuu.

Course in all honesty, I espected Brown to have one of this Hidden Disks on him and hand it to everyone when the monster grew big, saying something along the lines of 'it was placed in my family's safekeeping by a Samurai and that's the original reason i came to Japan' or something like that.

Course, I wouldn;t have been surprised if they kept him as a pupil for a while, have him stick around for a few episodes. Still, I hope this isn;t the last we see of Richard Brown.

The chopstick thing also bugs me.. but meh, some people won't give up their forks, it's not all that weird.

I do kinda wonder where he got the brown helmet with the kanji on it.... maybe the kuroko-tachi gave it to him.

Again, fun episode, can't wait for the next one.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

He took the helmet and armor from the practice dummy that he was using earlier in the episode.
GekiWing
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by GekiWing »

Phoenix512 wrote:What's this? How did Akusara possess an Ayakashi?
I had the exact same thought and...
Spoiler
I did notice that Chaiki was wearing a red shirt and Takeru a blue one...I always thought that for the most part though, the "X ranger wearing X color" Was mostly an american thing, outside of the uniforms that the Japanese characters wear. And I take it even Chaiki, who's supposed to love video games, hasn't played pokemon...None of them know anything about type trumping.
Last edited by GekiWing on Sat May 23, 2009 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>I want to ask - did anyone think the portrayl of Mister Brown was perhaps racist.

Not really, but I don't tend to think playing on negative stereotypes directly translates into racism. Besides, Richard Brown is more of a caricature than an actual character

>Oh, one last comment - I found that Brown's American accent was exactly right. Usually when some Japanese try and speak English, it comes out with a thick Japanese accent. So, was the guy who played him just versed in both languages? Because whenever he said something in English, it sounds pitch perfect for an American accent.

It sounded like he was faking a bad American accent, I seriously don't think he's that bad if he knows Japanese. Also, you guys might notice Ryuunosuke taking on a flamboyant foreign tone in some scenes
Anime_freek22
Train man
Favorite series: GARO/Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojirou
Favorite Band: UVERworld
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: well dressed pickles
Quote: "You were right all along Finn. Now I'm going to cut out Bubblegum's heart, and make out with it."

Post by Anime_freek22 »

^ Well he is rather flamboyant. A rather stark contrast to his PoT character.
I lost The Game!
ryuzakiumi
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by ryuzakiumi »

I want to ask - did anyone think the portrayl of Mister Brown was perhaps racist.
Isn't Japan like the second most racist country (next to America)?
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by erikhol »

ryuzakiumi wrote:
Isn't Japan like the second most racist country (next to America)?

Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell through text.

I doubt either Japan or America ranks anywhere near the kind of racisim in, say, the middle east between Muslims and Jews - or the ethnic slaughter in Darfur.
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W / GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger

Post by harpdevil »

Hachouchin's voice really reminded me of Yabaiba from Gaoranger, the way he screams and rolls his R's. Anyone know if it was the same seiyu? Also do we know the story behind the monster Hachoushin is based on?
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
zheyao
Robo's Birthday
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Hibiki
My boom: One Piece

Post by zheyao »

Don't know about the seiyuu, but Hachoushin is supposed to be based on the Chōchinobake

It's a spirit that basically has the head of a lantern, one eye, and a long tongue. I thought Hachoushin's tongue looked more like an elephant's trunk.
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W / GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger

Post by harpdevil »

Hey thanks Zheyao, I love finding out about the myth behind the monster.
Maybe we could have that on the front page with each release?
He was actually pretty strong eh? Taking out buildings in one hit, huge fire attacks. He really beat on the Shinkengers too, even breaking their suits and leaving them a charred mess. Far stronger than I expected of him anyway.
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Looks like his voice actor is Shimoyama Yoshimitsu. Don't see Yabaiba listed
しもやま よしみつ