Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Usukawadayuu's name

Post by takenoko »

So the staff have noted for a while that the villains pronounce Dayuu with a strong T sound. But when the heroes say it and according to the Japanese magazine, her name is Usukawadayuu.

What we didn't consider was that the name might be different when in a shorten form. Think of it like a nickname. When it's short like that, it's Tayuu
DarkRanger99
Infinity
Favorite series: Power Rangers
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kiva
Favorite Actor?: David De Latour
Favorite Band: Tetra-Fang

Re: Attack/Henshin Translations

Post by DarkRanger99 »

So you're saying Dayuu might mean something different than Tayuu? Like Natsumi and Natsumikan? What's the difference in their meanings then?
20 Years and Counting!!!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It's just a name. The meaning wouldn't change no matter what the correct pronunciation is. I don't have the kanji for Tayuu in front of me, but I don't think that's the important part. The usukawa part means "thin skin", probably referring to her beauty or whatever
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Re: Usukawadayuu's name

Post by erikhol »

takenoko wrote:So the staff have noted for a while that the villains pronounce Dayuu with a strong T sound. But when the heroes say it and according to the Japanese magazine, her name is Usukawadayuu.

What we didn't consider was that the name might be different when in a shorten form. Think of it like a nickname. When it's short like that, it's Tayuu

You're not going to suddenly change the spelling on the dubs, are you? The d-version is fine. It's too late in the game to start rearranging names.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

We aren't going back and changing all of them unless there's an error that needs to be fixed. Future episodes will have the correct spelling.
Peruchito
Number 6
Number 6

Post by Peruchito »

its just japanese 101. certain words change slightly when added to another word.

for example. tokei (clock) - udedokei (wrist watch). as you can see, the 'tokei' becomes 'dokei' when added to another word. the general rule is that when combining 2 nouns, you change the second noun. ka - ga, sa - za, ta - da, ha - ba. of course there are exceptions.
TurtleFu
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Favorite Actor?: Murai Ryouta
Favorite Band: Morning Musume.
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Tokusatsu!

Post by TurtleFu »

Though, if I'm not mistaken, you really can't trust the translations of a magazine article as being "correct" because I've seen numerous examples of bad grammar/translations in magazines all the time.
Like, for example, one magazine spealt Matsuzaka Tori's name "Dori". The "d" and "t" is so close it doesn't make much difference to the Japanese speakers, but probably means a larger diff. to English speaking ones.
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by erikhol »

TurtleFu wrote:Though, if I'm not mistaken, you really can't trust the translations of a magazine article as being "correct" because I've seen numerous examples of bad grammar/translations in magazines all the time.
Like, for example, one magazine spealt Matsuzaka Tori's name "Dori". The "d" and "t" is so close it doesn't make much difference to the Japanese speakers, but probably means a larger diff. to English speaking ones.

Exactly! Remember with the Gekiranger movie, text within the movie spelled Mele's name as Mere. The whole mess with L's and R's came into play - but I think we can all be assured that was a mistake, because Mele's name is based on Chameleon - not Cha"mere"on.

So please don't change Dayu's name, especially this late in the game.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

TurtleFu wrote:Like, for example, one magazine spealt Matsuzaka Tori's name "Dori". The "d" and "t" is so close it doesn't make much difference to the Japanese speakers, but probably means a larger diff. to English speaking ones.
It still makes a difference though. That's clearly a mistake
droolboy
Sentai Senshi

Post by droolboy »

But it sounds like they're clearly saying Tayuu instead of Dayuu, so it's not like T-N is switching it around just because, you know? :?
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by erikhol »

droolboy wrote:But it sounds like they're clearly saying Tayuu instead of Dayuu, so it's not like T-N is switching it around just because, you know? :?
I've honestly never heard the "T" until now. Though you probably do tend to follow the text more.

But it's still very disconcerting, 5 episodes to the end, for Dayu to suddenly have a corrected name change. It's just annoying by this point. I recall that first episode where Long, in Gekirangers, was miswritten as "Ron". Corrected next episode - no damage done. But Dayu's been spelled like that for the last 43 episodes.
gyozilla
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: WShinken555RyukiKuga
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O, Kikaider
My boom: erang

Post by gyozilla »

Like Peruchito alluded to, I take it that it's rendaku (連濁), or consecutive voicing.
Same reason why it's hanabi and not hanahi.

太夫 = tayuu
薄皮太夫 = usukawadayuu
By itself it's Tayuu. With something in front like Usukawa to form a compound, it's pronounced Dayuu.
09MurphyM
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by 09MurphyM »

At first, i thought that Dayuu's name having a T was simply a mistake.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I know it sucks that it wasn't this way all along, but we can't just pretend like that's not a mistake now that we know what's going on. There's not much else I can say about that
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Usukawadayuu's name

Post by jonty »

erikhol wrote:You're not going to suddenly change the spelling on the dubs, are you? The d-version is fine. It's too late in the game to start rearranging names.
Hi, sorry, can you do me a favor and stop calling them "dubs"? I've noticed this before and it's just sorta annoying, since normally what we do is called "subs" while "dubs" are shows that are redone with English voices (like anime and whatnot aired on American television).

Return to “Samurai Sentai Shinkenger”