Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Shinkenger 45 released

Post by takenoko »

Spoiler
I think it's great that they had the suit actor for Kaoru actually have trouble carrying the Rekka DaiZanTou. Such a great touch to see her kicking it up to lift it.

What a heavy episode. Tanba makes Hikoma seem like a grumpy but lovable grandpa by comparison

I also half expected Genta to find that Takeru had jumped in the river. I wonder what Takeru's real family name is then?

Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Shinkenger 45 releasd

Post by Phoenix512 »

As I mention in the last episode thread that I would talk about why Takeru did the things he did. When I saw the episode title for 45, it remind of X/1999 when the main character's mother was a shadow sacrifice (depending on the adaption, it's either to the world or the main character). Basically the shadow sacrifice would be able to prevent any misfortune until the shadow sacrifice is unable to take any more misfortune and dies. Even though they called Takeru, a shadow warrior, I think of him as a shadow sacrifice. Basically he took every wound that would have been thrown at the real head including the previous episode when Kaoru would have died from the Ayakashi.

As for Takeru himself, he realizes that his life is really nothing and dying is the only thing he truly has. It also explains why he had the need to fight by himself than let the others protect him because his life isn't worth protecting. It makes episode 23 even more interesting when Takeru was the servant to Kotoha. He's actually below Kotoha not the other way around. Juuzou realized all of this through Takeru's fighting. So will Juuzou give Takeru a new thing to live for or will Takeru die even though the others prefer to fight for him?

As for the others, they really got hit hard. It's not fair for them to suddenly fight for the true head when they develop a relationship with Takeru regardless if he's a fake or not. Also they were lied to all this time. To expect them to accept this so quickly is a bit much. I kinda knew that Tanba wouldn't accept Genta even though without his help, that Kaoru wouldn't have all the new toys at her disposal. As for Kaoru herself, I can't read much about her. She seems more comfortable fighting than being a princess from how Tanba tends to speak way too much.

I'm with take about what's Takeru's real family name is.
SpinelSun
Faiz
Favorite series: Kabuto,Decade,@DEEP
2nd Favorite Series: Magi,Deka,Shinken
Dreamy: Matsushima Hatsune
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Post by SpinelSun »

Phoenix512 wrote:I'm with take about what's Takeru's real family name is.
My bet's on Kusakabe, Jii's last name. I'm guessing that Takeru's father that died was Jii's son, And that the Kusakabe family serve the Shiba clan by providing kagemusha.

I must admit, I was secretly hoping that Take would transform with his other Mojikara (lightning) and be a new Shinkenger (Silver? White?), but its way too late for that.
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

Wow, that was unexpected. What a nice plot twist. This made me feel a bit sorry for Takeru, where he was trained to be nothing but a shadow for someone else and without that role, his life was meaningless.

But! Takeru will realize that his friends have already acknowledge him as more than just a shadow warrior, but a good leader and most importantly, a friend. (Well, that's what I am hoping to happen. After all that what series seemed to be about, the growth and bond between all of them.)

I am surprised to see how good red female suit looks. Her roll call seems to be a bit similar to former ShinkenRed, one where she point the sword down instead of resting it on the shoulder like Takeru does.

Yeah, I am curious about his real name as well.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
Alkaid
Boyz boyz boyz
Favorite series: Rescue Fire/Double
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o/Magi/Deka
Dreamy: Philip/Shoutarou
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Qsuke!

Post by Alkaid »

Yep, we're getting plot-explosions as of recently, no?

And, anyone else able to pick out this week's guest star? Considering that said person is also in another show that TVN is subbing, that might help you out a bit. (Of course, seeing this person in the show made me all fan-girly again, so this episode shall be quite special for me too now.)

Poor Takeru. The guy gets horribly beaten up, both mentally and physically, and wasn't even able to tell the samurai-tachi everything himself. I do sort of feel sorry for Kaoru as well; she did have to sit on the sidelines (probably practicing to master the sealing character) while someone else was beating up the Gedou and pretending to be the heir. She honestly didn't speak much in this episode (or perhaps that just showed that she spoke volumes with her skill level?) so I'm interested to hear a bit more about her and how the last generation decided to just leave it all up to them.
Yuusuke: BLACK RX?
Decade. No... This is... Saban's Masked Rider no Sekai. Alright, let's go.
Natsumi: WHAT? You're not going to help this world's Rider?
Decade: BELIEVE ME, it's better if they all die.

PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

This easily ranks as one of my favorite episodes of the season. Huge plot payoffs. It wasn't until I stopped and really thought about it that I realized how many of the mini-arcs were directly or indirectly influenced by this secret - Takeru's reluctance to initially involve the others, his trouble using Shiba techniques without putting in a lot of effort (like Kabuto origami), his anger whenever the others got hurt because of his decisions, his comments that his life didn't matter, his plea to have one unfettered battle with Juuzou, and especially the "twisted" label (which I forgot about until Juuzou brought it up again). I'm sure there are more that I forgot to mention, because it's been such a subtle influence on the entire show once you know to look for it.

More importantly, for me, I thought the acting was some of the best we've had all season. Watching the team react to the news was painful...not because they felt betrayed by the lie, but because they felt abandoned by Takeru leaving before they recovered from the shock of the news. Everyone's loyalty is torn (well, except Genta) which is bound to cause problems on the battlefield before the season is over.

One of my favorite touches in the episode was the symbolism of Takeru repeatedly seeing the paper airplanes, with it eventually crashing to the ground. Another episode ranking high on my favorites was when that flashback was first introduced (and ironically, or perhaps intentionally, when the team emphatically accepted Takeru as their leader), so I think it's fitting that this episode draws so heavily on that imagery. I also like that the time-line make a little more sense. Something always felt off with the timing between the flashbacks where Takeru is given ShiShi origami in the burning mansion and where he's told to keep flying. It would make sense if that was because the paper airplane flashback with Takeru's real father takes place after the previous ShinkenRed is already dead.

I really don't like Tanba. I didn't think I'd like Jii either, based on how high-strung he was in his first scene, but he grew on me very quickly. I don't think you're supposed to like this new guy, so at least he's serving his purpose. (I bet he'd get along great with Sieg with all that "your head is high!" stuff.)

On the other hand, I really like Kaoru. She's pretty tough and self-disciplined. She strikes me as someone that takes her responsibilities very seriously, which is definitely a trait to respect. If the rest of the team never knew Takeru, I think they would have been honored to pledge their loyalty to her. I also like how everything Kaoru does is just a little different from Takeru. For example, the way she flips the phrasing for the "Gedoushuu, that's far enough" challenge instead of Takeru's usual "That's far enough, Gedoushuu". I was a little concerned about how she'd fare in battle if the kuroko had to prepare her sword for her, but it seems that was just to emphasize how special she should be treated.

One humorous detail I loved - the kuroko in the background making binoculars with his hands right after Kaoru entered. It was such a lighthearted moment in an otherwise tense scene.

I suppose the efficiency in transferring all of the weaponry should be commended, but it seems cold to snatch it away from Takeru while he's still being treated for injuries he suffered in defense of Kaoru. It may be his job, but shouldn't they honor his service a little more? Regardless, I don't see the tactical logic in cutting Genta out of the team. More manpower has to be helpful on the battlefield, even if she has the sealing character. After all, they're not shy about using the various equipment he helped create.

Speaking of details...I thought it was pretty shocking that the "Shinken" title was stripped from Takeru and Genta even in the credits. Credits aren't exactly in-character, so it really drove the point home.
GaoGreen
Adventure

Re: Shinkenger 45 released

Post by GaoGreen »

EDIT: My eyes are on crack. Forget this paragraph.

Regardless, this episode was one of the best I'd say. The Shinkengers' reactions felt very real to me. It is also pretty cool that a lot of the signs throughout the series are coming together; there are a lot of things Takeru did that I did not put much thought to but now that the truth comes out, I look back and see the true meaning behind his actions. I like when a series ties things up like that. I'm really excited for the end of this series, because I want to see how they execute it but however they do it, I have pretty high hopes.
Last edited by GaoGreen on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

GaoGreen wrote:The sub is downloading for me right now but looking at the raw really briefly, the credits are exactly the same as they've always been...so if any changes were made, it's from TV-N not the actual episode.
Wow, what the fuck, dude? Even people who don't know Japanese can see that the two lines for Shinkesomething line break character name has been changed to one line for Takeru and Genta. What a totally inaccurate thing to claim

I think a lot of the unlikable aspects of this episode were done on purpose. We're supposed to think the scene where Takeru watches his shinies get taken away is full of pathos or that Tanba is kind of a dick. I'd much prefer intentionally obnoxious characters than ones that are unintentional

On the other hand, I really like Kaoru. She and Takeru really aren't that unalike. They both are treated as lords, but in a way they're both also sympathetic characters. A prisoner to their roles if you will. Plus Kaoru's actress if 14 years old and has a cute blog.
GaoGreen
Adventure

Post by GaoGreen »

Ok really weird but I looked over the raw on YouTube at least twice and could've sworn I saw ShinkenRed above Takeru's name and now that I look a little later, it's not there. I definitely wasn't trying to insinuate anything, my eyes somehow deceive me twice, but rewatching again there definitely is no title above his name. My fault, sorry.

EDIT: Okay, turns out I'm not crazy. For some reason, one of the episode 45 uploads on YouTube has the opening with Takeru's name saying ShinkenRed and Genta's name saying ShinkenGold. Then, when I looked at it most recently, I looked at a different upload that has their names being blank and Kaoru's name saying ShinkenRed. I have no idea why but it looks like someone messed with the first upload or something and that's why I saw what I saw. Again, sorry, just figured I'd clear up why I said that.
Last edited by GaoGreen on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

To be honest, I was hoping that Genta would refuse to fight rather than be cut from the team. Regardless, It'd be funny if he took the Ebi Origami/ DaiGoyou and then they realise they are boned because they can't form DaiKai Shinken-Oh/Samurai Ha-Oh.

Granted, I can see an epic battle entrance by both Genta and Takeru later on. Hopefully.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I wasn't really mad about it, it was just such a shocking claim to make. Also, haha, see what happens from dirty raw watching?
GaoGreen
Adventure

Post by GaoGreen »

I know, right? And I literally just opened up the raw on YouTube to see how the op had changed and low and behold that's what I get haha. But I do think it's pretty cool that they already discredited Takeru as ShinkenRed and Genta as ShinkenGold. It really does add to the impact of the storyline.
Tuss4
Train man
Favorite series: Faiz
Dreamy: Ayame Misaki
Favorite Actor?: Myself

Post by Tuss4 »

the guy who played the real 17th head, he looks familiar where do I know him from? HEY was he MegaBlack?
edit: this is what happens when I don't look at the front page.
Last edited by Tuss4 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GaoGreen
Adventure

Post by GaoGreen »

Close, he was MegaBlue. But you were on the right track.
Twilight_Bard
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous

Post by Twilight_Bard »

I...loathe Tanba. I understand the idea of not wanting Genta to be involved in this fight, but with Hikoma, it felt more as if Genta didn't need to be involved because it wasn't his burden to bear, he didn't have to put himself in harm's way to do so. Tanba sets up a kagemusha (as Kaoru said, cowardly to hide behind) ahead of time, but is willing to laugh Genta off because of his blood, nevermind that Genta's the one who completed the Inroumaru.

It just screamed 'I don't think you're good enough to fight with us, but your creations? I'll gladly see them put to good use, because you obviously can't.' And in my opinion, he has no right to criticize Genta's upbringing when he's willing to push forth such an option.

Was the Kagemusha smart? Maybe, we haven't seen Kaoru put in a position to use the sealing character, so I can't bring out a judgement.

As for Kaoru's character...I don't feel I can render a judgement on her, she seems very quiet and to the point, maybe because in contrast, Tanba is so loud that he overshadows what she wants to say (or puts her in a point where she would be constantly contradicting him).

I'm curious to see where the remaining eps go, but I feel that this throws off my original feelings about the season.

Return to “Samurai Sentai Shinkenger”