Shinkenger Series Discussion (No talking unreleased stuff)

Kinda like ninjas, but not
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< Go-Onger | Shinkenger | Goseiger >
kingsorder
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Shinkenger Forever

Post by kingsorder »

I will sure to miss them
Last edited by Lunagel on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Shinkenger Series Discussion (No talking unreleased stuff)

Post by Phoenix512 »

Shinkenger is finally finished and I will miss those crazy samurais. With Takeru being a kagemusha was a great twist. I don't think there has been a sentai where there was that massive of a lie about anyone ever. All the clues were there since the beginning of the series and not just something that was put on. But even being a fake, he still has great charisma to get the others to follow him.

Ryuu was someone who I thought was annoying at first but over time, his annoyance decrease and became a bit more normal. He learned that being a samurai doesn't mean he should not make choices for himself. When he decided that Takeru was the one that he will follow, he finally able to balance his duty and desire.

Mako's desire to be a bride didn't get resolved but her family issues did get resolved though. She ends up going to Hawaii to spend time reuniting with them. Mako to me was always able to figure out there was something weird going on but usually she couldn't pinpoint it until later like when she realized that Tayuu allow her to kill her. She was one of my favorite characters.

Chiaki is just so likable and is someone who wears his emotion on his sleeve. I just like him for being honest with himself but have clever ideas from time to time.

Kotoha also tends to notice small things wrong with Takeru but unable to express them to others. She was barely there most of time to me though.

I like Genta's character as he was the only one who wasn't a true samurai and has a heart that the others doesn't have. Without him, there would be no Inroumaru, DaiKai Shinken-Oh, or Samurai Ha-Oh. I like his bunshin, DaiGoyou as well.

While Doukoku and Shitari were mostly there especially Doukoku couldn't do much for the series, Tayuu, Juuzou, and a lesser extent Akumano really made good villains. Akumano's desire for hell because he wanted to experience it was a bit out of norm compared to other villains who wanted to bring hell on Earth. I like his plan was crafted over a long period of time but thinking that Juuzou was a stray was his downfall. Juuzou was a perfect foil for Takeru as he just wanted to fight without the duty or honor that brings it. Tayuu is probably the most interesting on of all since she kill an entire wedding party of her former lover and then forcing him to become her shamisan. Her conflict between her human and Gedou desires made her all the better.

I really like Shinkenger for the battles overall especially with the unique battle when Ryuu and Chiaki had to fight an Ayakashi being tied to each other. It's really an enjoyable experience of battles, story, and character development. I'm really glad to work on it as my first weekly Sentai for typesetting.

Stay tuned for more Shinkenger stuff in the future.
Shado Kabuto
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Faiz Kabuto Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O Deka Magi Bou

Re: Shinkenger Series Discussion (No talking unreleased stuff)

Post by Shado Kabuto »

Shinkenger was an amazing series from start to end with its story driven plot, great characters you can easily relate to, and the sense of being an samurai.

Takeru was an badass from the start with his ferocity and tenacity towards the Gedoushuu until he meet the other Shinkengers. He started to doubt them of being samurai but later he open up to them and show his human side.

Ryuunosuke is a comic relief of the group but later he came to be a more resilient and less humorous of his lord

Mako was kinda like the mediator of the group with her mother like demeanor and calmness being aspire to become a perfect housewife

Kotoha was the gentle one with her heart so big of caring other people make her being the heroine of the series

Chaiki was the coolest guy I have seen since Magiranger with his free-spirited mentality.

The battles were awesomely choreograph with the traditional swordsmanship and the serious tone was one up by Go-Onger of more humerous affair

The series was amazing but not better of the some of the recent sentai series.

My only gripes was the other characters backstories wasn't fully fleshed out like it should been and some of the episodes was kinda campy.

Salute to the Shinkenger for delivering an epic adventure of Samurai and Sushi.

PS Goseiger better pick up the heat.
I walk the path of HEAVENS
Thanks Guile for the Kabuto Avy's and Signatures
thanks bauffie for the sig.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Shinkenger Forever

Post by Lunagel »

Episodes all released, you may post your goodbyes to Shinkenger here
Darien_Shields
7X

Post by Darien_Shields »

For me, I think Shinkenger had a lot of wasted potential. There were some great moments, but I felt they were poorly rationed out across the series. I liked the backstory to the Gedou, I liked when Akumaro's plan finally unfolded, I liked the sort of love triangle between Doukoku, Dayuu and Juuzo, or at least the relationship between those characters and the development of that.

My problem is that most of that stuff happened in the last ten or so episodes, while there is a long stretch in the middle of the series where they just introduced mech after mech after mech. I feel that the potential of stuff like the Ushi Origami was spoiled by the fact that there was no real buildup to it, just one episode they say it exists, next episode they go and get it. Next episode they're like "We can do this super amazing billion mech gattai, but we can only do it if we're up against a really tough opponent", and it turns out the monster of the week can turn his hands into doors, so they have to do the big gattai...

If certain aspects of the series had been reshuffled I think it could have worked out better. Doukoku just seemed kind of impotent since he didn't do anything for almost 40 episodes. If they'd either played out his arc sooner, or waited to introduce him, they could have played around with other villains, maybe let Akumaro have more of a spotlight, make things more interesting to watch. As it was he was just sort of hanging around being ineffectual for a while.

There was certainly some cool stuff in there, and I really liked some of the cast (Chiaki, Genta, Dayuu), but overall I have to say I'm a little disappointed that the series didn't achieve the potential it could have.
EndlessWaltz24
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger
Dreamy: Hirata Yuka (Mele)
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by EndlessWaltz24 »

Oh boy, this one is gonna be hard for me to objectively discuss since the ending just made this series better for me...

-Ok, so first, Takeru: Daaamn, they definitely had this planned from the beginning, and I'm pretty sure that they only told the actors for Takeru and Jii about it cuz the others really did act like they had no clue about it at all til it was revealed aside from the little hints that people noticed. Also, I enjoyed his character development about why he is the way he is, although, I gotta admit, I really wish they could've explained a little more about his family.

-Ryuunosuke: Seriously, him + Genta's over-the-topness was great comedic relief, and it really showed his character's definition of someone who can be so blindly faithful and loyal to his duty. Therefore, it also showed that when he did things that would defy this strong loyalty, it just further defined the direness of the given situation. I think the only thing I would've wanted to see more of was his relationship with his parents because of that one episode with the word-using ayakashi insulted him by calling him "father-complex" and "mother-complex."

-Chiaki: I agree that I liked that they had someone who could be so honest about himself and just be chill, which, therefore, gave a great foil to Ryuunosuke's uptight attitude. Usually, it's Red and Blue going at each other's throats in previous sentais, but given the situation in this series, they gave Green the role of being a foil to Red and Blue. I was definitely happy with Chiaki's air-time, because he was well-developed in his backstory and such.

-Mako: Even if the story wasn't always about her, her motherly presence with the team was just so constantly present that you could feel that if there was a second-in-command in the team or moral leader, it would have to be Mako. Seriously, at times, this series felt like Takeru and Mako were the parents and the others were their kids. Lol, true, I also wish her bride situation was resolved, but I was happy that at least her family situation was resolved well. I mean, I'm pretty sure that Dayuu was made to be like Mako's series rival, and using Dayuu's failed marriage as an example could've helped give a better resolution with Mako.

-Kotoha: Ok, so this is definitely where the writers needed a little bit more work. I mean, I liked her background story with her coming as a replacement for a sister and stuff, but still, her presence felt either kinda non-existent, or more like the child/kid sister that everyone needed to watch out for. I mean, combat-wise, she was capable, but I always felt like her character was a little too 1-dimensional.

-Genta: Well, what are you going to when you're the extra member that comes in midway? Of course there's going to be some difficulty making a sufficiently fleshed out background. Given the circumstances, I'd say that it would have been awesome for Genta to have a well-developed background like the others, but his presence was definitely there. I mean, how many times have they had scenes at Genta's sushi cart and how many of the Shinkenger's upgrades was because of Genta? Btw, that one episode with Genta making curry definitely makes it seem like he's going to be the Shinkenger's connection to the vs. movies. Only beef I got with Genta is that it was his exaggerations that seemed to annoy every now and then, not Ryuunosuke's.

-Gedoushuu: Shitari and Doukoku were definitely the archetypal monster-provider and final boss, respectively, but I agree that because of Akumarou, their roles were greatly diminished in the series. Idk what happened, but Akumarou really stole the role of major evil dude for a reaally big chunk of the series. I liked the backstories behind Juuzou and Dayuu, and they were getting well-developed in the series, but I did feel that their endings were a little too rushed. Granted, the two met their ends at the end of the series, but like one or two more episodes concerning the two could've done great wonders for the two.

-Mecha and weapons: The mecha design started off extremely simple which definitely had me wishing for a cooler mecha, but the clunky designs with the additional origami really did not improve the situation for me. However, the Inroumaru, Daigoyou and the Mougyuu bazooka were nice additions to the Shinkengers' relatively simple arsenal.

-Fight choreography: Loved every moment of it. Only gripe I ever had was Chiaki's style cuz I just kept thinking the entire time "Who in the world fights like that!?".

-Others: Female Red = OMG! FINALLY! MASSIVE WIN! Also, I guess it's because it's a kid's show which is why I feel they decided not to delve too much into it, but seriously, there was a remotely small love situation that was developing throughout the series right? I kinda wish that this plot point developed, but granted everything else the writers did do for the series development-wise (they did a good amount), I'm happy that they just decided to drop it in the starting stage instead of doing really bad half-assed development of the situation.

Overall, I really enjoyed this series because the character development they did in this series really raised the bar. Also, the mold-breaking things done in this series was very welcome which made the series better as a whole. However, there were some things that I feel could've been worked on a little more so I'll say that this series probably ranks at like #2 or #3 at my list of favorite sentais.

PS: I'm really, really, really sorry for the humongous post that I wrote. Holy crap! I didn't even notice how much I wrote until now (^.^')
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

I really enjoyed this season, theirs just so much that went into to it interesting character's on both sides & a very nice twist in the middle which should make the series even more interesting the 2nd time around.

I really enjoyed seeing the Gedoushu actually given character it's so rare to see different emotions out of villains in these series other than rage & arrogance. Actually seeing how Tayuu fell into Gedo really made you feel for her & her circumstances for how see got there. Another nice surprise was Doukoku actually showing love for Tayuu by basically overpowering the seal used on him & repairing her Shamisen.

Genta was a huge surprise for the series normally the sixth member's just their to to fight, but Genta really came up with some excellent idea's for the team making him a far more interesting character than a usual sixth member.

With all that I do wish we would've got some questions answered, like Takeru's actually family name & Juuzo's family name, & I think the writer's could've done a better job exploring the relationships with the current team & their parent's who were the former team, especially with hat happened to Mako's mother I just thought their was a great opportunity to explore the real side of fighting monster's for a living. Those are minor quibbles for an amazing series, & thanks the all the people who put so much hard work into the series. Looking forward to all your guy's hard work on Goseiger.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

Decent show, not bad but not great either.

This was my third super sentai show the other two were Gekiranger and Magiranger. Gekiranger still my favorite and Magiranger the second and about Shinkenger at least I watch it until the end not like Boukenger and Gonger that bored me and I stop watching the shows.

Takeru was a cool character but the rest not so much and the first female red was pretty cool too :D.
Final Vent!
KingOfWishfulThinkin
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Magi & Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: SexyVoice & Robo
Favorite Band: NFG
My boom: Sentai

Post by KingOfWishfulThinkin »

Many thanks to the TV-Nihon crew for another year of awesome subtitles ! You did a great job !
rizefall
Swedish Meatball

Post by rizefall »

Only seen two episodes so far tho... HAHA

Still i like it ;D
"Lady Luck is smilin"
Deka_Hero
Humongous
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Quote: I DEMAND THINGS TO BE AWESOME! - Michel Bay

Post by Deka_Hero »

Takeru Started out as a cold, detached typical Lord-type, but over time he softened towards those he cared about and he began valuing his own life. He was not immune to going onto funks, like when he ran into GoGo Pink, or when the others learned he was a stand in for the true lord (and almost falling to gedou), but the others where always there for him. He was a truly great Red.

Ryuu also started very ridged, but he learned not to be so old fashioned. He was, in many ways, the straight man of the team as well as being the most skillfull. He did have times where he was conflicted between what he was taught to do and what he wanted to, but he always found the answer. The one scene where he showed his friend how to do a Kabuki dance, devoid of all speech, was moving. A fine blue!

Chiaki started as a gaming slacker who just did'nt care. He was the most undisciplined of the lot, but this later became his strength. His fighting style is wild and unpredictable, making is difficult to counter effectively, he also has a nack for improvising unorthodox tactic's. He also formed strong friendships with Kotoha and Genta, who he always supported (Kotoha more so, leading many to suggest he has feelings for her). One of the most memorable green's.

Mako, like Chiaki, started out not willing to give her life to Takeru. But her mothering instincts always kick-in when someone is down and needs a lift, sometimes to hilarious results (see Episode 4). She was the closest to Takeru, and she tried to help him with his "Demon's" despite his insistance that his was not like the rest. Just DO NOT LET HER COOK, that is equal to eating raw sewage........A caring and bright pink.

Kotoha was the baby of the team, being at least 4 years younger than anyone else. She started out with a very low opinion of herself, but with the help of her friends, she saw that she has value, to them and the world. She hold's Takeru in very high regard (maybe to the point where she is in love with him), so much so that she would have followed him heedlessly until he help her out. She has many friendships, with Mako (who wa slike a sister to her), Chiaki (who she has great chemistry with) and Genta. Though she did not get as much growth as the other did, she is still a Cute and roking yellow.

Genta is a true wacky guy. Getting the least development, he is still the most entertaining to watch thanks to his great and uproarious personality. A Backhanded style-fighter who slashes faster than the eye can see, his sushi is as dazzling as his moves. When he first showed up he was a great contrast to the still ridged Takeru, and his attempt's to become "Really close" with Kotoha never worked out, ut we still loved it. A great gold!
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

I've always been conflicted with my opinion of Shinkenger. Most of it stems from my perspective as I get older. The plot was interesting but many the of characters felt short of my expectations. I tend to prefer characters who have personalities that define their actions rather than characters who have their personalities shaped by their circumstances.

You would think that my preference would lead me to like Chiaki the best. Honestly, I never liked Chiaki. He never really grew beyond a caricature for me. There is never a moment where he doesn't act like your average teenager. This makes him extremely easy to relate to (hence his popularity with most people) but it doesn't set him apart from others his age. Some may argue that his moments of ingenuity are signs of his uniqueness but I disagree. Coming up with a good idea isn't really a personality trait. His personality only felt unique when compared to the rest of the Shinkengers. If you placed Chiaki among a group his own age, his only defining trait would be his status as a Shinkenger.

Sadly, Kotoha was such a shrinking violet that you tended to forget about her existence. Every episode that centered around her showed Kotoha had more to offer if she would just come out of her shell. Unfortunately, she would end up invisible again despite gaining more self-confidence.

We never really got to see much of the real Takeru because he is the classic example of circumstance shaping a personality. It is hard to deny this when Hikoma encourages him to take up other interests.

Ryuunosuke gained my interest in the early episodes because he has a tendency to force a positive attitude when he is depressed. Unfortunately, this aspect wasn't explored further. His "boy scout" tendencies took center stage which wasn't very interesting to me.

Mako showed a lot of depth with her keen observations. As the series progressed, I really wanted to hear more from her but I sensed that the writers were having trouble finding ideal situations where her observations would make the right impact. When her resolve as a samurai was tested against Tayuu, I felt a little disappointed that her internal struggle was handled so abruptly.

Genta was definitely my favorite Shinkenger because he captured the optimistic energy that I felt the show was missing. His spontaneous nature always kept you guessing what he would do next.

Out of all the villians, Akumaro was my favorite. He wasn't a completely original character but his attitude and style was refreshing. He didn't throw a tantrum when his subordinates were defeated. Small setbacks were acceptable as long as progress was made for his long term plans.
Darien_Shields
7X

Post by Darien_Shields »

Arigomi wrote:You would think that my preference would lead me to like Chiaki the best. Honestly, I never liked Chiaki. He never really grew beyond a caricature for me. There is never a moment where he doesn't act like your average teenager. This makes him extremely easy to relate to (hence his popularity with most people) but it doesn't set him apart from others his age. Some may argue that his moments of ingenuity are signs of his uniqueness but I disagree. Coming up with a good idea isn't really a personality trait. His personality only felt unique when compared to the rest of the Shinkengers. If you placed Chiaki among a group his own age, his only defining trait would be his status as a Shinkenger.
An interesting take on Chiaki. He was one of my favourite chracters, but I have to agree with your points. Personally, I think that they just kept putting Chiaki in similar situations, rather than new or more interesting ones. He dislikes the hierarchy to begin with, and wants to prove his own worth. I think if he had been given responsibilities once or twice it would have been interesting to watch how he held up. If he had had to lead the team once or twice, would he snap under the pressure, or rise to the occasion? I felt that his "rank" hurt his role in the show- as green ranger he was subordinate to red and blue. If he had been higher up, I think more interesting things might have happened.

I never saw the character development I would have liked out of him.
Arigomi wrote:We never really got to see much of the real Takeru because he is the classic example of circumstance shaping a personality. It is hard to deny this when Hikoma encourages him to take up other interests.
There was one specific thing about Takeru's character that confused me. He seems to feel massive guilt over being a liar (the insult monster really screws him up with that), but when Genta talks to him after the big reveal he looks at his reflection and says; "This is the first time I've looked at a me who isn't a lord". That seemed contradictory to me. Surely his problem was that he never felt like a lord? Echt, maybe I'm over analysing.
DarkRanger99
Infinity
Favorite series: Power Rangers
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kiva
Favorite Actor?: David De Latour
Favorite Band: Tetra-Fang

Post by DarkRanger99 »

Shinkenger will be missed, but we still got the movie, go-onger teamup, and goseiger teamup to look forward to.
Spoiler
Oh, and for those of you who thought Shinkenger would never be adapted into Power Rangers, you may be proved wrong very soon.

http://collectiondx.com/article/nytf_20 ... er_rangers

So far, just the toys are confirmed, but it would make sense to bring the show back in time for the twentieth anniversary the following year.
20 Years and Counting!!!
Fobo911
Go Go!
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Kotoha-chan!
Favorite Actor?: Suzuka Morita
My boom: Girls
Quote: "The average person has one ovary and one testicle."

Post by Fobo911 »

DarkRanger99 wrote:
Spoiler
Oh, and for those of you who thought Shinkenger would never be adapted into Power Rangers, you may be proved wrong very soon.

http://collectiondx.com/article/nytf_20 ... er_rangers

So far, just the toys are confirmed, but it would make sense to bring the show back in time for the twentieth anniversary the following year.
Hmm, that's really interesting, but I'm not sure
Spoiler
how the writers for that show would be able to make a story that doesn't sound so Japanese with Shinkenger...
"The average person has one ovary and one testicle."
-Psychology textbook

Return to “Samurai Sentai Shinkenger”